Speeding ticket.. 42mph over

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i wasnt sure if it was true or not but it sounds like a myth

100% myth

OP, you were offered a deal. That's usually the best they are willing to do. Not sure how he's gonna get it reduced further. :shrug:

How long was the deal good for?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Who would admit to 112? Dumbass.

Let's think about this all non-LEO posters....who do you think an officer would arrest and take to jail first?....the guy that is honest and polite about what they did or the guy that wants to play dumb and lie? Us LEO's have a lot of discretion on the side of the road. That discretion ALONG WITH the violators attitude will go a looooong way in court when the judge is dishing out the punishments. Judges don't like to hear people going that fast say "I thought I was just going with the flow of the traffic" or "I thought I was only doing 5 or 10 over".

2k3Mach

Established Member
Let's think about this all non-LEO posters....who do you think an officer would arrest and take to jail first?....the guy that is honest and polite about what they did or the guy that wants to play dumb and lie? Us LEO's have a lot of discretion on the side of the road. That discretion ALONG WITH the violators attitude will go a looooong way in court when the judge is dishing out the punishments. Judges don't like to hear people going that fast say "I thought I was just going with the flow of the traffic" or "I thought I was only doing 5 or 10 over".

You do NOT have to give a number that states you were aware of exactly how fast you were going and doing it on purpose. That makes a case such as this an open and shut case with minimal chances of leniency. I would never advise anyone to give a number.

Id just say "probably a bit faster than I should have been" which isn't lying to the cop. Alot of times the officer doesn't know either and you give them a number such as what the OP did and they run with that. Had you not told him, he may have wrote you up for 90!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2k3Mach

Established Member
Let me explain something here. I was popped doing 92 in a 55 zone. The story is like this. I was on a 2 lane state highway following a semi. Had been stuck following this semi for about 10 miles of curvy/hilly road at well below the speed limits. Finally got to a passing zone before the next hills and kicked down to third and floored it since it was a short window and a semi was coming towards me in opposite direction. Hit about 97 by the time I could get over in front of semi and let off gas, put in 5th gear. He officially blocked me at 92. He asked how fast I was going and I just told him "not sure, probably faster than I should have been but I didn't want to follow the semi through hills/curves for another 30 minutes". He understood my reasoning but told me I was going way too fast to not get a ticket. He ended up bringing me a tix for 69 in a 55 of which I was able to get a deferral on so no points on my license, ins co doesn't know! Guess my point is you DO NOT have to lie just to not tell the truth. Giving a set number pretty much closes the book on any deals with the prosecutor as well! Why would they give you a deal if you've already convicted yourself for them? You ever seen anyone admit to something then ask for a deal to plead guilty? Lol

03_termi

Established Member
Who would admit to 112? Dumbass.
yeah it was dumb to give him a number but i was nervous and i knew i could have been arrested and my car impounded which i dont have the money for so i was trying to be honest and not be a smartass. But im sure half of the people on here who say they would reply with a smartass answer would react differently when actually pulled over after speeding that fast.

black 10th vert

Established Member
yeah it was dumb to give him a number but i was nervous and i knew i could have been arrested and my car impounded which i dont have the money for so i was trying to be honest and not be a smartass. But im sure half of the people on here who say they would reply with a smartass answer would react differently when actually pulled over after speeding that fast.

I totally agree. It's always easy for any of us sitting behind a computer screen to say "I would have said this", or "I would have just floored it", but the truth is that this can be a very serious infraction depending on the state you live in, and let's face it NOBODY wants their car taken, and impounded, or to go to jail, so you will feel out the situation at that moment, and hopefully make the correct statements. I believe that being honest is the right thing to do, but never with regard to giving an exact number as you did, because the statement that police read to you when you are being arrested is absolutely true! ANYTHING YOU SAY, CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW - period! Always be polite, but never volunteer any more info than you absolutely have to because it will always be used against you. It is part of their job to take careful notes of everything that was said during questioning, whether at the scene, or at the station. Most times there is audio/visual evidence to admit into evidence also these days, where in the past it was only the narrative presented, documented, and presented by the officer. Bottom line is "less is more" when it comes to giving statements, so that answer Sid gave to "do you know how fast you were going?", was completely appropriate with just saying "yes". You are not lying, but you are also not self-incriminating that way. Unfortunately for you, it is now too late to go back and change your statement, so you will just have to accept whatever consequences they deem appropriate based on your admission of guilt.

silver03svt

Established Member
You do NOT have to give a number that states you were aware of exactly how fast you were going and doing it on purpose. That makes a case such as this an open and shut case with minimal chances of leniency. I would never advise anyone to give a number.

Id just say "probably a bit faster than I should have been" which isn't lying to the cop. Alot of times the officer doesn't know either and you give them a number such as what the OP did and they run with that. Had you not told him, he may have wrote you up for 90!

Where exactly did I post that you had to give an exact number of your speed or that you were doing it on purpose? I just said be honest. Telling me you're going too fast, or faster than you should be, or anything along that line is still admitting guilt of exceeding the speed limit. As far as the officer stopping you and cuttting you a break....great for you..give me your address and I will mail you a rubber cookie. **NEWS FLASH** Cops do cut breaks to people. It's nothing new.
I'm going to write what I see on the RADAR, LIDAR, or my speedometer regardless of what you tell me whan I stop you. My point is this, again for you, when your are honest and polite, we are more apt to cut you a break on the roadside or for us to tell the judge you were honest and polite, therefore letting the judge know it's cool for him to help you out. Evidently, you missed my points, along with the points of the other LEO's in this thread.

kthnxby

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member

Look, you didn't do anything wrong when you were honest. I'd be willing to bet that your honesty might work in your favor. ALOT more so than being a smartass or dipshit on the side of the road.

Kubin-B

Established Member
I'm not sure if this will work for you but i allways let my speeding tickets go to warrant. this does a couple of things for you one it turns it into a civil matter and is no longer a moving violation, second since its no londer a moving violation it doesnt get reported to insurance. I'm in Texas and i have done this more times to count. the warrant usually cost 500.00 to clear up but i still have my D.L and my insurance doesnt show any type of offenses. good luck with this.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I'm not sure if this will work for you but i allways let my speeding tickets go to warrant. this does a couple of things for you one it turns it into a civil matter and is no longer a moving violation, second since its no londer a moving violation it doesnt get reported to insurance. I'm in Texas and i have done this more times to count. the warrant usually cost 500.00 to clear up but i still have my D.L and my insurance doesnt show any type of offenses. good luck with this.

This is the second time you have posted this BS.

black 10th vert

Established Member

I seriously doubt that this would work unless you live in some real backwater town with a population of 500, and no computer system at the local PD.:lol:

03_termi

Established Member
Look, you didn't do anything wrong when you were honest. I'd be willing to bet that your honesty might work in your favor. ALOT more so than being a smartass or dipshit on the side of the road.
yeah im hoping so. The officer that pulled me over said my honesty is what was keeping me from being arrested.

i dont think im gunna try that.

03_termi

Established Member
Well i just thought id update you guys on the ticket.. I just went to court today and the prosecutor wanted me to do 5 days in jail and 20 hours community service but my lawyer said it would be better to leave it up to the judge instead of the prosecutor. The judge gave me 48 hours in county jail with no fines besides the $22.50 a day for the jail fee. They are letting me do a weekend so ill be going in after work on a friday and ill get out on sunday. It sucks but at least they didnt hit me with a big fine too.

Last edited:
Well i just thought id update you guys on the ticket.. I just went to court today and the prosecutor wanted me to do 5 days in jail and 20 hours community service but my lawyer said it would be better to leave it up to the judge instead of the prosecutor. The judge gave me 48 hours in county jail with no fines besides the $22.50 a day for the jail fee. They are letting me do a weekend so ill be going in after work on a friday and ill get out on sunday. It sucks but at least they didnt hit me with a big fine too.

You nervous about anyone messing with you over the weekend?

Machdup1

Established Member
My lawyer will get the jail time dropped off

The judge gave me 48 hours in county jail with no fines besides the $22.50 a day for the jail fee. They are letting me do a weekend so ill be going in after work on a friday and ill get out on sunday. It sucks but at least they didnt hit me with a big fine too.

Judge > Lawyer's opinion

The big fine will be paid over a life time. Every time you have a employment back ground check done, if this incarceration shows up, you will not get the job. That is a high price to pay.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

So you would rather spend time in jail and have a criminal conviction on your record than pay a big fine?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So you would rather spend time in jail and have a criminal conviction on your record than pay a big fine?
From the sound of thing he was not going to get out of the criminal conviction, it was just a matter of how much jail time and how big of a fine. Short jail time + small fine + criminal record > short jail time + huge fine + criminal record is what I think he is saying.

cobrajames89

Established Member
I got a 146 in a 55 and got it lowered to 110 in 55 after speaking with leo. I spoke to the states attorney and got a deal. Also forgot to mentioned it was july 4. And I was arrested but I had the full bail in cash on me so I just had to go to sheriff office and fill out papers.
I paid 2250$ in fines. 250 hours cs. Court supervision for 2 years.

End result it was dropped after two years with no more tickets, moving or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread