Speeding ticket.. 42mph over

TermiInJax

Established Member
Wait, so the LEO did not show to court and you still got fined? To my knowledge, every time a LEO doesn't show for a court appearance the case is thrown out and you are free to go. Only happened to me once, however, friends have been let go numerous times due to LEO's not showing to court.

I agree with the second statement oranges said.

OP, as long as you are not getting a job which involves driving at all, I would just be up front with them about it if they mention a background check prior to employment. Also, I would seek out a lawyer to try and have it expunged.

I got paced(not radared) at speeds well north of a hundred on my old CBR1000. It was on an open road in a state park and I didnt have a motorcycle endorsment on my license at the time. The LEO could have taken me to jail but because I have a clean record, he wrote me about $1800 worth of tickets and made me have someone come pick me and the bike up. He didnt show up for court so the judge threw everything but the no license ticket out and I walked away with just court fees, and a ticket that dissapeard when I went and got my motorcycle endorsmant. In Florida I believe if the LEO doesnt show up to court, there isnt much of a case.

digiam42

Established Member
Back in 05 i got sent to jail for going 147 in a 65. Well i didnt go to jail because of that. I had just got divorced and was broke so i hauled ass and they set up a road block for my dumb ass. I spent 4 days in jail and had 6 tickets. I went from 0 points to 15 in one shot. Got a lawyer and ended up paying a $674 fine and that was it. I had to take a defensive driving course to keep my license though. Good luck

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I got paced(not radared) at speeds well north of a hundred on my old CBR1000. It was on an open road in a state park and I didnt have a motorcycle endorsment on my license at the time. The LEO could have taken me to jail but because I have a clean record, he wrote me about $1800 worth of tickets and made me have someone come pick me and the bike up. He didnt show up for court so the judge threw everything but the no license ticket out and I walked away with just court fees, and a ticket that dissapeard when I went and got my motorcycle endorsmant. In Florida I believe if the LEO doesnt show up to court, there isnt much of a case.

*** Waits for FordSVTFAN to come in and make a noob correction

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
Had the cobra for about 5 months and got caught doing 81 in a 50. It would've been 5 points but I spoke with the prosecutor and he dropped it to 67 in a 50 and I ended up getting 2 points. I took the defensive driving course and got rid of those two points. Definitely take the defensive driving course. It will benefit you in the long run.

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
This!!! When I got pulled over for 87 in a 45 the FIRST thing I did was get a lawyer. The money it saved me in insurance alone was well worth it- not to mention knocking the speed down to less than 5 over. Between the lawyer, class, and court costs I spent about $700. If I just paid the fine and increased insurance it would have been close to $3k+ over a 3 yr period. I figure I saved $2300 bucks... Simple math really.

Spend some money and receive just a slap on the wrist going from 42 over to under 5 over. How do lawyers tell their kids that money doesn't absolve them from responsibility when their kids constantly point out examples like this! :lol1:

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
How do lawyers tell their kids that money doesn't absolve them from responsibility when their kids constantly point out examples like this! :lol1:

When I was in court waiting to get called up to speak to the judge there was a case where a 17 year old kid was driving past his curfew and was under the influence of alcohol.. His father and lawyer were there and they blamed it on the divorce his parents were going through. The kid walked away with a 3 month suspension and a fine of about $1500.00. The Father and Lawyer were apparently good friends so I wonder if the kid will learn his lesson? :shrug:

LtShrapnel

Established Member
I was pulled over about 5 years ago for doing over 100 in a 65. I was in my 05 gt and my buddy was on his motorcycle. We accelerated to get in front of some traffic next to us as we were coming off an on ramp. Supposedly an off duty cop saw us and phoned it in saying we were racing. We were pulled over about 5 miles up the road by a county officer. We had slowed down once we were in front of traffic. We slowed to 65 once we were in front of the group. He asked how fast i was going. "About 65-70 sir." He then told me about the off duty cop and asked why i was racing. i told him the truth that i wasnt racing and never admitted to speeding. i know he was pissed. i dont blame him. slapped my friend and i with reckless driving. i lawyered up and since i never admitted to speeding, and was never checked by radar, they couldnt prove it. the prosecutor offered to drop it if i had no like or similar offense for 1 year. had to pay a 250 court fee and the lawyer was a friend so he didnt charge me. in MN reckless is similar to DUI in regards to fines and insurance hikes, which is alot. You just dont have to deal with treatment. learned my lesson since then. i was stopped in february and almost got ticketed for no proof of insurance. got it all sorted out and didnt pay anything. now i just dont drive more than once a week....

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
When the hell did this thread become the "post your I was going too damn fast and got a ticket/warning/arrested/beat with a stick stories"

03_termi

Established Member

03_termi

Established Member
:lol:

It appeared from your previous post that you have received punishment. My bad.

We will be waiting.
no i went to court once but the law office my lawyer works for is called Hamlet and Burtle and my lawyer Kevin Hamlet is the husband of the judge so they set a different court date with a different judge.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
no i went to court once but the law office my lawyer works for is called Hamlet and Burtle and my lawyer Kevin Hamlet is the husband of the judge so they set a different court date with a different judge.

Yeah, that would be a good reason. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread