State Cop Giving Me Trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
I pulled in tonight with my Mustang and a state cop that lives near me came down and said, "You better fix that car or I am going to start writing you more tickets than you can afford. That thing wakes me up and it's illegal. FIX IT! Understand what I'm saying?" I'm new to the neighborhood, so I've got no pull here. (Indiana)

He didn't even look at the system, just blatantly said it was illegal. I asked about Harleys, trucks, and other vehicles and he said that he writes them tickets whenever he gets the itch. He said he's the law and there's nothing I can do.

I asked about maximum decibels and specifics which he could not provide. He said, "This is your only warning, change it or you will be sorry. Catch my drift?" He then turned his back and walked away.

What should I do, fight it or get a new exhaust? Anyone know the laws about this? Current system is... long tubes, Off Road X and SLP LM2.

Here are the state stautes...

IC 9-19-8
Chapter 8. Mufflers and Noise Limits

IC 9-19-8-1
Application of chapter
Sec. 1. This chapter applies to every motor vehicle except an antique motor vehicle registered under IC 9-18-12-1.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

IC 9-19-8-2
Muffler leaks, alteration, or deterioration
Sec. 2. A motor vehicle must be equipped with a muffler free from the following visually discernible conditions:
(1) Exhaust gas leaks.
(2) Alteration of muffler elements.
(3) Deterioration of muffler elements.

IC 9-19-8-3
Operation of muffler or noise dissipative device
Sec. 3. A motor vehicle must be equipped with a muffler or other noise dissipative device that meets the following conditions:
(1) Is in good working order.
(2) Is in constant operation to prevent excessive noise.

IC 9-19-8-4
Muffler cutouts and bypasses
Sec. 4. A motor vehicle may not be equipped with any of the following:
(1) A muffler cutout.
(2) A bypass.
(3) Any similar device.

IC 9-19-8-5
Excessive fumes or smoke
Sec. 5. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle must be equipped and adjusted so as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

IC 9-19-8-6
United States Department of Transportation regulations; classification of violations
Sec. 6. (a) This section does not apply to a person who owns or operates a vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(1) contains parts and accessories; and
(2) is equipped;
as required under regulations of the United States Department of

Transportation.
(b) A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

oldmodman

Established Member
What does you exhaust system consist of?

Exactly what I was going to ask. But upon reading a second time I saw "no cats"
That is illegal in any state, period. Put it back to stock or he can write you tickets until you do.
*edited by moderator - read the rules*

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
id just be easier on it leaving home and coming back when you get near his house

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
Well considering it's loud at start up I'm screwed. He told me to return it to stock or he's just going to keep writing tickets.

WTF... No wonder people hate the government.

divided

Established Member
Well considering it's loud at start up I'm screwed. He told me to return it to stock or he's just going to keep writing tickets.

It's bugging your neighbors and is not legal. Just fix the problem, simple.

BM1

Established Member
You gotta pay if you wanna play. I would either change it back to stock, or at least put a catted X-pipe and possibly Bassani baffles in the tips which will help cut the noise down considerably in conjunction with the cats.

Also, you could face an EPA fine the way it sits right now which costs way more than a loud exhaust ticket.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member

ive got the same setup as you on my mach 1....it isnt THAT loud. even my wife doesnt call it loud til i romp on it

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Obviously 'loud' is a subjective term.

i understand that....but my car at cruise sounds just like when it was a catted h and a magnaflow catback.

now when i romp on it its completely different.

just make sure you park the car the opposite direction of his house (exhausted pointed away from the officers house) and dont go more than 1200-1500 rpm when going to/from home

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
ive got the same setup as you on my mach 1....it isnt THAT loud. even my wife doesnt call it loud til i romp on it

Agreed... It's no louder than a catted system with Flowmasters until I get on it. It's a known fact that many of us run off road mid pipes.

This guy is going to be a pain in the ass even at stock noise levels.

To the guy who said fix it because it bugs the neighbors... If I moved into your neighborhood and bitched about your dog barking, the color of your house, or the way your wife dresses, you should fix it right? I mean... if it bugs me you should change it correct? Or if I was a cop, I should just fine you and make your life miserable until you muzzle your dog every time he leaves the house. That would be okay with you right?

Just becasue the government forces it down our throats, it must be good for us too. Whatever... Do you support mandatory inoculations as well?

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
Agreed... It's no louder than a catted system with Flowmasters until I get on it. It's a known fact that many of us run off road mid pipes.

This guy is going to be a pain in the ass even at stock noise levels.

To the guy who said fix it because it bugs the neighbors... If I moved into your neighborhood and bitched about your dog barking, the color of your house, or the way your wife dresses, you should fix it right? I mean... if it bugs me you should change it correct? Or if I was a cop, I should just fine you and make your life miserable until you muzzle your dog every time he leaves the house. That would be okay with you right?

Just becasue the government forces it down our throats, it must be good for us too. Whatever... Do you support mandatory inoculations as well?

The hells with all the babbling? I was just saying be kind to your neighbor.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
You are gonna have to get cats, Federal law says so, if you wanna keep your exhaust consult an attorney, obviously the cop is pissed so you need to cover your butt. Now i doubt you have to return it to full stock but you may have to change out the LM2's along with the putting on cats to get to an acceptable sound level.

Once you do this make an effort to show him you've taken steps to fix the issue and hoefully he will go away or the cop could still hassle you so I would start recording yourself on your property with some video system of some sort, just talk to an attorney and look at the laws in your state for recording people or wiretap laws etc.

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
The hells with all the babbling? I was just saying be kind to your neighbor.

Sorry,

I've got quite a bit of money tied up in this thing. I love the hobby, and when some guy tells me to change it just becasue he doesn't like it, then I have a problem. Especially when it's an abuse of power.

No hard feelings, just pissed.

divided

Established Member
Sorry,

I've got quite a bit of money tied up in this thing. I love the hobby, and when some guy tells me to change it just becasue he doesn't like it, then I have a problem. Especially when it's an abuse of power.

No hard feelings, just pissed.

I understand that. Sucks, but honestly hes giving you a chance by warning you first instead of ticketing you, which he is well within his right to do. Maybe just switch to a catted setup or even stock. Off road cats are always a big no-no is the eyes of the fuzz.

I agree though he came off as an ass, he's probably dealt with that kind of stuff before, or like said above, he needs to be forceful to get the point across.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread