Still can't shift at WOT after JHR clutch line...

BPatterson

Established Member
That's one thing I have ALWAYS done Shaun, is pumping the clutch pedal several times before a run; learned that many years ago. Unfortunately, this is also happening to me on the street. I used a Prestone Synthetic DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, with a 510° boiling point. I'd like to see someone design a new slave cylinder for our cars.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
That's one thing I have ALWAYS done Shaun, is pumping the clutch pedal several times before a run; learned that many years ago. Unfortunately, this is also happening to me on the street. I used a Prestone Synthetic DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, with a 510° boiling point. I'd like to see someone design a new slave cylinder for our cars.

what is your shift point. i have seen a lot of people have problems with the stock clutch not wanting to release over 7K RPM. Lower your shift point to 7K or even 6800 and see if it still happens. If the issue stops then you have found your problem. upgrade to a boss clutch or an aftermarket unit.

01bluesnake

Established Member
what is your shift point. i have seen a lot of people have problems with the stock clutch not wanting to release over 7K RPM. Lower your shift point to 7K or even 6800 and see if it still happens. If the issue stops then you have found your problem. upgrade to a boss clutch or an aftermarket unit.

Probably the best advice. The GT clutch plate was never designed to go over 7k.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Thought I'd jump in here to share my similar issues. I track my car and am having lock from 2-3 and 3-4. I have a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid in my tranny. I also have ATE Blue Dot 4 fluid, brake cooling ducts and the tranny scoop.

Looking at the new Barton two post shifter bracket it looks similar to the MGW design and both look to be a superior design to the Steeda I have. I've always liked how my car shifts, expect while tracking it, and have never felt the need for a different shifter. But with the issues I'm having I ordered the MGW last week. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order since I don't think it's going to fix my lock out issue and maybe try the Barton two post bracket.

To add onto what Shaun stated about the slave cylinder I know at least three guys with Boss 302's that have fried theirs while tracking their cars. Does anyone make a good aftermarket slave cylinder?

Benchracer

Established Member
Thought I'd jump in here to share my similar issues. I track my car and am having lock from 2-3 and 3-4. I have a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid in my tranny. I also have ATE Blue Dot 4 fluid, brake cooling ducts and the tranny scoop.

Looking at the new Barton two post shifter bracket it looks similar to the MGW design and both look to be a superior design to the Steeda I have. I've always liked how my car shifts, expect while tracking it, and have never felt the need for a different shifter. But with the issues I'm having I ordered the MGW last week. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order since I don't think it's going to fix my lock out issue and maybe try the Barton two post bracket.

To add onto what Shaun stated about the slave cylinder I know at least three guys with Boss 302's that have fried theirs while tracking their cars. Does anyone make a good aftermarket slave cylinder?
Don't cancel your order. My only problems Ive ever experienced with my trans/clutch were an occasional 3rd gear lock out and 5th and 6th gear would crunch when shifted quick. My MGW seems to have fixed all of that.

SicShelby09

Banned
Don't cancel your order. My only problems Ive ever experienced with my trans/clutch were an occasional 3rd gear lock out and 5th and 6th gear would crunch when shifted quick. My MGW seems to have fixed all of that.

The clutch pedal sticking to the floor is a REAL issue. But its our issue that we created by getting our cars tuned and shifting past the factory limiter. The only correct way to fix this issue, is getting an aftermarket clutch. I tried all but the clutch line, and others have tried that too. All that didnt fix the issue. And I never was able to get to my goal of breaking into the 11's with a tune only car on DRs. ****ing piece of crap. Dont have that issue now....LOLOL

APMECH

Established Member
I've also had similar problems and have come to the conclusion we are boiling the clutch fluid.

The clutch/pressure plate heats up the slave cylinder and boils the fluid in the slave. Once that happens there is not enough fluid pressure to release the clutch.
The larger orifice clutch lines allow more fluid thru vs clutch pedal travel, but it does not solve the problem. It's a bad-aid at best IMO.

Depending on the DOT4 fluid used vs DOT3 you will raise the boiling point ~100 degrees, again not enough as I have already swapped out the DOT3 for DOT4 (475 degree boiling point) and still have issues.

Best I can do is pump the clutch like crazy after a burnout (fluid boils during burnout) and I can nail 3 gear changes with slicks dropping the hammer. If I was on DR's slipping the clutch, I doubt I'd be able to nail even the first gear change.

Once the rest of my new brake setup gets here I'll be doing another fluid swap, and even have a remote clutch reservior ready to install if needed.

Tilton makes TSR-1 brake fluid which is labeled as DOT4 and compatible with conventional DOT3/4, but it boils at 622 degrees! I'll be swapping the entire brake/clutch system over to TSR-1 fluid before the next track outing.

IMO this is yet another band-aid. The proper fix would be a Slave that is insulated from the heat of the clutch/pressure plate.

I agree with you about this issue. I have drag radials on my GT500 and I can nail the 1-2 shift on the street every time (rolling on from 1st). Last night I was at the track and for the 1st time was denied a 1-2 shift. Got it in after pumping the pedal a few times. Almost lost to an LS1 Vette... Got back to the pits, looked at my resevoir and saw fluid had leaked out around the cap from expansion.... Did you have any luck with the fluid swap?

2011redcandy

Established Member
With my RXT I still get locked out of 3rd and sometimes 4th. I also have to literally yank it out of 1st...it gets stuck when the trans is hot. Anyone else have that issue?

WHITEMACH

Established Member
2011,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pressure plate bolts are backing out and you will never be able to shift it !!! been there done that! the jhr line wont help all the dot fluid in the world ,clutch helper spring,nope that wont help it either,, bolts ,bolts ,bolts,bolts,,,,bolts, bolts ,BOLTS!!!!!

Last edited:

Dave_6

Established Member
Anyone that owns a '13 know if these problems still persist or has Ford worked them out with the new ones? I'm not going to get a 6-speed if I have to deal with this as it will be a daily driver.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
this as far as i know only effected 2011 made before aug 2010,and this has been fixed, it was a torque problem from factory and doesnt show up till you start shifting it higher rpm!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread