Supercharger vs Turbo ?? Help

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Never have I been pinned in a passenger seat harder, than when I was in a turbo car. I've been in 700+ PD and Centri cars....the feeling wasn't even close to a lower HP turbo car.

A turbo pushes you into the seat harder....and harder....and harder...

There is nothing like it.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Never have I been pinned in a passenger seat harder, than when I was in a turbo car. I've been in 700+ PD and Centri cars....the feeling wasn't even close to a lower HP turbo car.

A turbo pushes you into the seat harder....and harder....and harder...

There is nothing like it.

Bingo!

Vic2186

Established Member
So TRQ wise a tvs and a turbo will be almost the same..HP I know turbo is king

CPRsm

So TRQ wise a tvs and a turbo will be almost the same..HP I know turbo is king
Noooo. Misconception. Turbos are king of torque. You can make 700rwhp+ on a centri and still not even come close to the torque of a turbo

This a TVS w a 90mm pulley and I believe a JLT intake. This equals about 8ish psi. Turbo was 8.5psi. Same dyno
And a customer now with a different turbo has since made 628rw/trq on 7psi thru an auto!
CPRvsTVS.jpg

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
TVS will make more torque at low RPM's but the turbos will make more overall. I never said that a Paxton car will not drive good just that a TVS will drive better. This is personal experience along with two different tuners views (neither sell superchargers). I went with twins and the car makes tons of power but I am not going to mislead someone on purpose just so I can say that "whatever I have is the best". Not picking on anyone in this thread but all the time I see guys proclaiming theirs is the best when they have no experience with the other options. My car does not drive like stock, maybe CPR or JPC have better street manners though, but honestly I will not totally believe it until I drive one for myself.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So in your opinion for a stock bottom end 5.0 but still has enough power potential for when I go with a built motor

If you plan on that and your stuck on a procharger, you def need to upgrade to a larger head unit, and the upgraded intercooler,

but, for about $2k less than that, the Paxton kit will have 1000rwhp potential out of the gate, and the intercooler doesn't need any upgrading

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have never driven a turbo 5.0, or whippled 5.0. But my buddy has a compound boost built gt500 with hellion tt feeding stock blower that I have driven with drag radials and 20's and that thing is sweet, but I have no regrets when I get back into my car. My other buddy has a 3.4 whipple on his built gt500 and that thing is a monster. Never driven on anything but 20's that spin at will, but with Dr's it would be a monster. Wife of tt gt500 drives a 5XR that is stock for now and it is a pretty sweet car, but needs a tune and pulley swap to play.

Again like I say everytime a what FI kit question comes up all FI kits for the 5.0 are monsters and will put a smile on your face everytime you hit the loud pedal.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
On 6.5psi I can roll into the throttle at 2.5k in 3rd and obliterate the 295 INVO's(not the best tires for traction mind you). The power of turbos is ludicrous. On the other hand the little headaches that come with turbos are almost just as bad. Its never a set it and forget it. You are always worrying about one thing or the other, be it oil leaks or boost leaks or downpipes melting stuff. I fried my A/C line under the passenger DP. No A/C now. If I had to do it again I would still pick the turbos because they are sexy as hell. Keep all that in mind when making the decision.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
On 6.5psi I can roll into the throttle at 2.5k in 3rd and obliterate the 295 INVO's(not the best tires for traction mind you). The power of turbos is ludicrous. On the other hand the little headaches that come with turbos are almost just as bad. Its never a set it and forget it. You are always worrying about one thing or the other, be it oil leaks or boost leaks or downpipes melting stuff. I fried my A/C line under the passenger DP. No A/C now. If I had to do it again I would still pick the turbos because they are sexy as hell. Keep all that in mind when making the decision.

Funny you said this, I have been tweaking my buddy's tt gt500 over the weekend. checking oil lines, exhaust leaks, intercooler piping etc, he is getting retuned today.

If he doesn't hit 1000whp today I am getting him 10 gallons of e85 for a retune. That is all he has ever wanted out of his build.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Funny you said this, I have been tweaking my buddy's tt gt500 over the weekend. checking oil lines, exhaust leaks, intercooler piping etc, he is getting retuned today.

If he doesn't hit 1000whp today I am getting him 10 gallons of e85 for a retune. That is all he has ever wanted out of his build.

Is that a compound boost setup? If it is it will make more power without the blower.

CSG

Established Member

Was the line wrapped? I double wrapped mine with titanium. I probably have not driven it enough to know for sure that it will not melt.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Is that a compound boost setup? If it is it will make more power without the blower.

Dude!!!!!!!! Not to thread jack but, long story short he ordered an intake and three months later it comes in, looks great until we go to install it and it hits the fuel rail with an 1 1/2" gap before bolting down. Also the throttle body holes were so far off it wasn't even funny. Not going to name drop because he is working on getting the issue fixed, but if it isn't fixed soon you will see the post with full pictures all over the forums.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Was the line wrapped? I double wrapped mine with titanium. I probably have not driven it enough to know for sure that it will not melt.

I just had it wrapped in what hellion sent to wrap it in. Problem was with the stock line I could never get it in a good out of the way location. It is too long. Long story short, it worked its way into riding against the vband for the exhaust housing. Burnt/rubbed a hole straight through it. Not too bad of a fix just have to shop for a better fitting hose. *thread jack* any suggestions?

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
Like was mentioned. Ride in a turbo car and a blower car. I have never had a guy want anything over turbo when they ride in a turbo car. Including a paxton owner I just took for a ride. He's now coming back looking to over pulley the blower and bleed off the boost to get torque up like a turbo. His car is on E85 w more boost and was still a good bit down on power. If you get a centri blower, don't ride in a turbo car afterward lol

What he said.^^^ Once you feel copious quantities of ice cold turbo boost, you will never go back.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I just had it wrapped in what hellion sent to wrap it in. Problem was with the stock line I could never get it in a good out of the way location. It is too long. Long story short, it worked its way into riding against the vband for the exhaust housing. Burnt/rubbed a hole straight through it. Not too bad of a fix just have to shop for a better fitting hose. *thread jack* any suggestions?
I purchased additional heat wrap like what was supplied in the kit and put two layers of wrap on. I just keep an eye on it. No problems so far. I will just replace it every few thousand miles if needed. Little price to pay for such a sexy kit. Oh did I mention, OP... you will be happy with any of the power adders. Just don't ride in a turbo car.

CPRsm

TVS will make more torque at low RPM's but the turbos will make more overall. I never said that a Paxton car will not drive good just that a TVS will drive better.
Short of starting another shit storm, a lot of that comes down to maf placement and other details surrounding the maf. The roush just has a better design and placement than the paxton.

CSG

Established Member
Short of starting another shit storm, a lot of that comes down to maf placement and other details surrounding the maf. The roush just has a better design and placement than the paxton.
Although I'm not fully educated on it I agree with this in general. I really think that my issues are probably MAF oriented.

CPRsm

The new mafs are INCREDIBLY sensitive to turbulence. The slightest bit and it makes the tuners life a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread