Tesla blocked from Michigan with law backed by dealers, General Motors

jacker1991

Established Member
Tesla Motors' long-running fight to sell its electric vehicles through factory stores rather than franchised dealers had been something of a draw recently, with victories in New York and Ohio offset by a ban in New Jersey. Today, that tide turned against Tesla after Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed a bill — backed by the state's auto dealers and General Motors — that Tesla says not only bars its stores, but even a place where Tesla could tell customers about its vehicle.

The bill signed by Snyder, a Republican, had originally been offered by the Michigan Auto Dealers Association as a way to allow dealers more power to levee fees on buyers. It passed both houses of the Michigan legislature with a sole vote in opposition — and, according to Tesla, a single wording change that took place just before its final vote, without debate.

Tesla said last week the bill was "an effective prohibition against Tesla opening a store in Michigan," and "also seeks to prevent Tesla from operating a gallery in Michigan that simply provides information without conducting sales. We could even be barred from telling people about our car."

But Snyder released a statement upon signing the bill saying it did not change existing state law that he said required automakers to sell through franchised dealers. Not citing Tesla by name, Snyder said "I would be open and encourage discussion...to make sure Michigan was open to products and services from all over the globe."

In the states where Tesla has been banned outright, the company has still set up storefronts where it can advertise its vehicles. Before Snyder signed, General Motors also weighed in, as it has in other states, contending that the bill would "help ensure that all automotive manufacturers follow the same rules to operate in the State of Michigan."

Given the state-by-state battles underway, Tesla and co-founder/CEO Elon Musk have three choices going forward. It can keep battling in state legislatures, where car dealers hold all the political advantages. It can partner with dealers — although Tesla's corporate promise to not make money off vehicle service, it's build-to-order business and its strategy of setting up stand-alone stores would make such negotiations tough.

Or Tesla could push forward in the courts; it's already won a couple of rounds, and you can hear the echoes of its legal argument when it claims such rules force it "into a body of law solely intended to govern the relationship between a manufacturer and its associated dealers." The battle is over; the war rolls on.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Wonder how much the Governor got paid...

What os the big deal? Is the state afraid they are gonna lose tax revenue? Or is it the dealers are afraid to lose market share? What gives here?

oldmodman

Established Member
There is an easy solution.

Offer discounts to Michigan residents that are going to buy the cars anyway.

And give them something for letting people call them up and look at their cars.

I don't think the state can stop a private citizen from that.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ see what NY and NJ do on gun sales

Michigan csn certainly attempt something like that

KILRSVT

Established Member
The main companies backing up the bill is autonation, Sonic automotive, Hendrix, lithia, automotive franchise dealers who are the number customers of the manufactures . Tesla sells and service the car directly. . Where every other manufacture goes thru a third party like autonation or sonic . They make billions of service and sales enough to lobby and have politians signed these shitty bills . So much for free market what's the point of capitalism if competition is prevented . Not the brightest choice considering Michigan's economy . GM is about to **** them one more time with Cadillac moving to NYC

MysticRob

Established Member
My Dad worked for a dealership taken over by Sonic (a publicly traded company) and he said they just destroyed its reputation and cut costs to a point where employees started leaving. Techs were forced to use the dealership's ridiculous repair-time guidelines, which hardly anyone could meet, and that meant if the job took longer than the guideline you were essentially working for free till you got it done.

I'm all for Tesla trying to sell things direct, and it's a damn travesty this happened.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The GMC/Buick/Volvo dealer that is next to my work is shutting down in a couple months and a Tesla service center and showroom is going up in its place. We are hoping that my work can get part of the lot since we need the space and it is way too big for Tesla. Plus we need room to build a new building since ours will look like poo compared to Tesla.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
If Tesla wants to reach the growth they want, franchises are inevitable. Elon Musk even admitted this.

[video=youtube;RckDzlkjPNQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckDzlkjPNQ[/video]

HIonPSI

Established Member
Such bullshit, you know someone got a nice kickback for making that go through :rolleyes:

Interested to see Tesla's response to this. If it's anything like when they had the issue with New Jersey (March '14 IIRC) they will encourage customers to travel to discuss the purchase of the car at neighboring stores and also allow customers to order the car online for delivery in-state regardless of the ban. Really pathetic if you think about it though...

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
My Dad worked for a dealership taken over by Sonic (a publicly traded company) and he said they just destroyed its reputation and cut costs to a point where employees started leaving. Techs were forced to use the dealership's ridiculous repair-time guidelines, which hardly anyone could meet, and that meant if the job took longer than the guideline you were essentially working for free till you got it done.

I'm all for Tesla trying to sell things direct, and it's a damn travesty this happened.

LOL at Sonic. I know a bunch of people that jumped ship from their dealerships as soon as Sonic took over. Sonic and Autonation are the Ebola of car dealerships.

Tesla does not sell enough cars to have franchise dealers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Another reason not to by GM. There always the front runner to stop competition an take bail outs.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Tesla will be out of business in 10 years or less and Musk will be onto his next taxpayer funded venture. I don't have any sympathy for companies that cannot survive on their own merits.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-...eds-3b-in-tax-breaks-for-new-battery-factory/

Nevada looks to be the winner for Tesla Motors’ (TSLA) new $5 billion battery factory, but the win comes at a cost for state taxpayers.

Tesla is seeking up to $3 billion in new tax breaks to help fund about half of its cost for the new battery factory, which Tesla has already disclosed in regulatory filings would be located outside Reno, Nev., about 235 miles from its auto assembly plant in the San Francisco Bay area.

“The total capital expenditures associated with the gigafactory through 2020 are expected to be $4-5 billion (sic), of which approximately $2 billion is expected to come from Tesla,” the company said in its latest regulatory filings.

Although news reports indicate the breaks could amount to $400 million annually, it may be more like $600 million. Nevada beat out California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona for the new $5 billion battery plant, which is expected to create 6,500 jobs, plus generate economic growth. State legislators are likely betting this growth will offset the costs of the tax breaks.

Tesla needs that $600 million a year through 2020, when its battery factory is expected to be fully operational, because it’s experiencing significant cash burn. It has $2.6 billion in cash versus $4 billion in liabilities. Tesla has also disclosed its overhead costs are now rising 20% on a year-over-year basis, and research and development expenses are increasing 30%. Capital expenditures continue to bear down as Tesla expands the number of factories and charging stations (the count for the latter now stands at 183 globally).

"Before we go to the next stage of pouring a lot of concrete, we want incentives there that make sense and are fair to the state and Tesla,” said Tesla CEO Elon Musk about a month ago.

Excitement over Tesla’s future has caused Wall Street to give this momentum stock a $35 billion market capitalization, versus General Motors’ (GM) $55 billion. Tesla sold 39,149 cars through June 30, while GM sold north of 9.7 million vehicles last year alone. Tesla has posted net losses of $581.93 million from January 2012 through June 2014, while GM has posted net income of $13.84 billion over the same period, according to a FOX Business analysis of data from FactSet Research Systems.

Fueled by … Tax Breaks

Tesla has relied heavily on tax breaks to sustain itself. Hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars have supported Tesla throughout its time as a publicly-traded company, money that has also floated CEO Elon Musk’s other companies such as SpaceX and SolarCity (SCTY).

Tesla takes advantage of all sorts of government credits and subsidies, including regulatory credit sales through federal CAFE standards and zero-emission vehicle credits.

Though Musk is big on talking about the free-market, his firm needs a lot of taxpayer help to survive.

Indeed, that’s the reason why Tesla engineered the bidding war among state and local governments in Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, and Nevada so as to grab as much in the way of tax dollars for the new gigafactory, which will make lithium-ion batteries for Tesla vehicles.

California state senator Ted Gaines, (R-Roseville), who fought to get the Tesla battery factory in the Golden State, has said that Tesla was playing the five states off each other to get the best tax breaks and subsidies.

Tesla CEO Musk said the company expects to be able to build 100,000 vehicles annually by the end of next year, up from 35,000 this year. But it now wants to make 500,000 electric cars annually by 2020, so the company needs the $5 billion battery plant it's planning to build over the next three years to bring the price tag of its cars down as rivals like Germany’s BMW race into the market with their own electric vehicles.

Tesla expects that the new gigafactory will deliver “a major reduction” in the cost of its battery packs “of greater than 30%” on a per kilowatt per hour basis by the end of the first year of production. Tesla continues to open stores throughout North America and Europe, and opened its first store in China last year.

Zemedici

Established Member
LOL at Sonic. I know a bunch of people that jumped ship from their dealerships as soon as Sonic took over. Sonic and Autonation are the Ebola of car dealerships.
Tesla does not sell enough cars to have franchise dealers.

This, so much. Worked at an Autonation store, now I work at a privately owned one, and its so much better. There is so much bullshit that goes on, awful policies, etc, that go in, its ridiculous.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Tesla will still likely be able to setup non-retail 'galleries'. State governments will have a hard time blocking those without violating the 1st Amendment.

Tesla will be out of business in 10 years or less and Musk will be onto his next taxpayer funded venture. I don't have any sympathy for companies that cannot survive on their own merits.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-...eds-3b-in-tax-breaks-for-new-battery-factory/

Those tax incentives are no different than the ones many companies (including other car manufacturers) receive for expansions from governments vying to land their business. Doesn't make it right (according to my libertarian ideals), but it doesn't make Tesla a special case.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

You try building a car manufacturer without some sort of assistance these days.

This is why we are stuck with the same shit manufacturers weve had for the past half a century. Its impossible for any new names to get into the market because they are cockblocked by big names like GM, not only from selling cars but who knows, id bet GM cockblocks them from buying parts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread