The 5.8 Trinity Fits!!!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
fords halo car is the ONLY CAR they are supporting for performance. its like here have a cookie they give you a sugar and you want a chocolate chip cookie, they wont give you the cookie you want. after all I am the customer I want what I want yet I don't get it from a company that I want to buy from. never asked or a supercar! I asked for options! oh but wait its funny how you ford fan boy mustang losers are on here. if ford brought out a new RWD V8 car all you trolls will hop right on that bandwagon. of course until then you pansy's will continue to write why ford doesn't need another car. performance oriented in 1 engine and in 1 car that does the same thing and that has been overpriced. NO OPTIONS!!!!! GM and Dodge has it! ford has lacked this idea since the let go of the thunderbird. the mustang only strategy is a joke and so are the designers that have been designing the mustang since 94.

So you just lack business sense then. You fail to realize that the people saying they don't need it are looking at it from a business perspective and are being realistic when they say Ford doesn't need another sports car or supercar to compete, and also understand why they won't build one. I desparately want another Ford GT to hit the market, I'd be content with the same exact car from 04-05 with just some minor updates, but it doesn't make sense right now in their business plan. You wonder why Ford is doing so well right now as one of the brands at the very forefront of the industry? Because of smart decisions. You're complaining about a very small percentage of sales that would benefit Ford based off of the attention they would draw to the brand and that's it. Ford would likely take more of a loss on any major effort to build a serious sports car because that money could be utilized in better products.

Keep up those insults outside of SD though. Hopefully we'll see your ban come soon.

Elwood617

Established Member
I bought a 2011 GT mustang didn't like the 5.0 so I swapped a 6.2l in it. 16'' wheels which I really liked. re shaped the fat ugly rear plastic fascia and rid the black rocker plastic covers. I liked it for a few months and realized every one has a mustang. although mine stuck out of the crowd and I won nearly 200 awards at car shows and continuously raping 5.0 mustangs, I sold that car! I want something new I want something that isn't already out! yet other people that but fords but don't buy the mustang have options. Taurus fusion fiesta focus and something other, they have options yet I get none. do you see what im saying? I don't want a sports cars, I want another V8 RWD 2door car. the mustang doesn't do it for me so I have a crown vic to fill that void. ford has flooded the market with the mustang and sales have declined for many years now with slight bumps in sales. people are tired of this car! there was a survey last week 200K people took part in this survey. ["The new mustang will available next spring will you buy the mustang? and why or why not?" 149.243 said no! most common answer of the survey was "too much of the same we want a new car"] ''QUOTE"

Wow, you need to learn to relax. You do have options, buy something else. Ford is doing quite well for itself and as someone else pointed out, making a halo car costs money that Ford most likely would not make back. We will wait and see how the new Mustang does in sales. That will show if they are making the correct business decisions :)
Can you post pictures of your 6.2 swap? I've never heard of anyone doing that, and I'd love to see it. Thanks :)

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
imagine the crapmaro sales if poor bumblebee didnt hit the big screen. lol! who cares! enjoy the hp wars while you can. drive a ford, drive a chevy now. we'll all be driving electric crap boxes before we die anyways.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I bought a 2011 GT mustang didn't like the 5.0 so I swapped a 6.2l in it.

That makes no sense?

16'' wheels which I really liked.

Why would you put crappy 16" wheels on a 2011?

re shaped the fat ugly rear plastic fascia and rid the black rocker plastic covers.

Ok

I liked it for a few months and realized every one has a mustang.

Well I'm glad you finally realized this after 50 years.

although mine stuck out of the crowd and I won nearly 200 awards at car shows and continuously raping 5.0 mustangs,

Not with 16" rims.

I sold that car!

For much less than you paid for it.

So where are the pictures of this magnificent beast?

germeezy1

Established Member
Why? Its a 13 year old platform that's paid for itself by this pint and no longer in production. The coyote's heads are better, a coyote can be revved past 7,000 on a reasonable budget, doesn't require hand assembly, and can be set up for DI.

A variant of the 5.0 is a real possibility, the long in the tooth 5.4/5.8 not so much.

What makes the 5.8 long in the tooth? Do you think that Ford would have two different engine families if the 5.0 would easily replace the 5.8?

peteypab2133

Established Member
Too many responses to read through but I will add my 2 cents. The 5.8 is like 24 grand from ford racing. Im sure it can be had a lot cheaper but still a dumb idea. Just throw some money at the 5.0 or wait till they release the 6.2L 585hp GT350 when they announce it soon :)

Rosco P

Bitter clinger…
Established Member
Lots of nonsense in this thread.

I will buy a GT350 as long as it has a new motor. There are rumors of flat crank TT V8s swirling around. I will put one of those in the garage. I won't buy a trinity gt350 (which I don't think is coming) just because it will only be a placeholder for the real car with something different and more awesome coming in a year or 2.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
What makes the 5.8 long in the tooth? Do you think that Ford would have two different engine families if the 5.0 would easily replace the 5.8?

At its heart its the same block/heads combo that has been around since the 2000R, when the majority of the R&D was done, and Fords been coasting on it ever since. True they've made some updates but nothing performance shops weren't already been doing (boring, cams, etc). Its not like they have millions invested that the motor still needs to pay off. Not to mention the tooling they were using for the block was shared by the F150 and the Navigator which have all dropped the 5.4 so it no longer has the economies of scale.

The 5.0 wont easily replace it, that's why they didn't immediately do it. Now that they have even better heads its a real possibility, especially if they add DI, displacement, and a TVS.

Edit: Before anyone loses their mind Im not saying that the 5.8 isnt an excellent motor, it is, Im saying Ford doesn't have a reason to keep it.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
At its heart its the same block/heads combo that has been around since the 2000R, when the majority of the R&D was done, and Fords been coasting on it ever since. True they've made some updates but nothing performance shops weren't already been doing (boring, cams, etc). Its not like they have millions invested that the motor still needs to pay off. Not to mention the tooling they were using for the block was shared by the F150 and the Navigator which have all dropped the 5.4 so it no longer has the economies of scale.

The 5.0 wont easily replace it, that's why they didn't immediately do it. Now that they have even better heads its a real possibility, especially if they add DI, displacement, and a TVS.

Edit: Before anyone loses their mind Im not saying that the 5.8 isnt an excellent motor, it is, Im saying Ford doesn't have a reason to keep it.

The highlighted part of your post agrees with my post, and that was my main point. My other point is that the 5.8 may be old but it is still as powerful as Ford needs it to be.

blackvette101

Established Member
The highlighted part of your post agrees with my post, and that was my main point. My other point is that the 5.8 may be old but it is still as powerful as Ford needs it to be.

Unfortunately it's not about power it's about money and government regulations. It doesn't make logical sense to keep an engine line going for one specialty vehicle. And it doesn't make logical sense to use 5.8 liters when you can do it with 5 or 5.2 in terms of CAFE.

What we do know is Ford announced it's globally reducing it's engine families. from 9-10 to 3-4. This spreads development costs over multiple platforms and reduces production costs since they can buy material in bigger bulk. Ford also announced that they closed down the condor/trinity production line for 10 months to retool it. If they were planning on just recycling the trinity this would not have happened. They are either updating the trinity significantly or have a new engine in the works.

In the coming years I fully expect Ford to have one three, four, six, and eight cylinder engine with Forced induction added on specialty models for high performance and electric hybrid systems added for MPG on models designed to boost CAFE. It doesn't make sense money wise to use a completely different engine for one model when you can just add better parts and FI to the same foundation. This is the way the automotive world is going.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
My point was simply that Ford utilizes the 5.8 Trinity now, and will for the S550 despite having access to the 5.0 in any format it would like. This idea that somehow the new Coyote engine makes everything extinct is a bit misguided. There are benefits to the elimination of the 5.8 Trinity, and the fact that it carries over into the new S550 Mustang tells us that its benefits at this stage outweigh its drawbacks. I fully expect Ford to eliminate the 5.8 Trinity at some point in the future due to the things you just mentioned.

blackvette101

Established Member
My point was simply that Ford utilizes the 5.8 Trinity now, and will for the S550 despite having access to the 5.0 in any format it would like. This idea that somehow the new Coyote engine makes everything extinct is a bit misguided. There are benefits to the elimination of the 5.8 Trinity, and the fact that it carries over into the new S550 Mustang tells us that its benefits at this stage outweigh its drawbacks. I fully expect Ford to eliminate the 5.8 Trinity at some point in the future due to the things you just mentioned.

The only thing is that the new CAFE standards hit 2016. If that were not true I'd agree that they would run out the trinity for awhile since it is still competitive power wise and they already paid for the R&D/production line. But with the government meddling into auto production and the standards spiking in the next couple years I just don't see it. It's artificially forcing the marketplace to go against consumer demand. Without government intervention the trinity would be kept around until the marketplace demanded higher mpg then 5.8 liters could provide at that hp level.

At this point they have not announced that it has been carried over into the S550 only that it could be made to fit.

Last edited:

Tbonez3858

Established Member
Anyone have a clue why Ford didn't just wait on releasing the 2015 when they had the "new" engine ready. Doesn't this path have 80% of the target Mustang audience waiting and not buying? Why would I buy a 2015 5.0 when in 2016 the motor may completely change to challenge the Camaro. I just don't get it....

Last edited:

mustangletback

Established Member
Anyone have a clue why Ford didn't just wait on releasing the 2015 when they had the "new" engine ready. Doesn't this path have 80% of the target Mustang audience waiting and not buying? Why would I buy a 2015 5.0 when in 2016 the motor may completely change to challenge the Camaro. I just don't get it....
i dont think the motor will change when the new CRAPMARO comes out.i do not have inside info.but i will say that if they need to add more power to the same motor when the time is needed they will.you never know,the 2015 mustang might have between 450 to 475hp.:pepper:

FortLewisCobra

Established Member

Not really, that was my reasoning of why the 5.4 didn't go in 2011. I don't expect it to return for 2015.

Jroc

Established Member

They ought to just throw a 4G63 with $10K worth of mods in the GT500, and no one would miss the Trinity. If Ford did dat den it wood b da fast mustang eva!!!!!

But seriously if SVT got their hands on the 5.0 and messaged it the way they have the 5.4 based block then it would be twice the performance motor that the Trinity is. It would have plenty of lowend grunt all while being happy to turn some very high RPM's.

americansteel

Banned
They ought to just throw a 4G63 with $10K worth of mods in the GT500, and no one would miss the Trinity. If Ford did dat den it wood b da fast mustang eva!!!!!

But seriously if SVT got their hands on the 5.0 and messaged it the way they have the 5.4 based block then it would be twice the performance motor that the Trinity is. It would have plenty of lowend grunt all while being happy to turn some very high RPM's.

there's a guy 30 minutes from where my shop is, he has a 5.8l trinity motor he grabbed from a totaled GT500. sold the blower and manifold, the heads were slightly ported comp cams were ordered for the 5.8l 100MM TB and a sheet metal intake fabbed up by MMR that engine made 492HP at 6700RPM and 442FT lbs at lower RPM'S than the 5.0l.
the 5.8l has an advantage of 49 cubic inches. the current 5.0 makes 445HP at 6600RPM and 407 FT lbs.
that cubic inch advantage is going to compress more air and fuel than what the 5.0 can do in result making more power through the whole rpm range.
its just like the same heads/cams being on a 4.6l and swapped onto the 5.4l what engine is going to make more power? the 5.4l will. the 5.8l heads and 5.0l heads flow numbers don't really differ much. what people don't realize is they think they know what ford invested on the 5.8l ( in reality they don't) look at the previous comments ^^. in fact ford did invest a lot on the 5.8l trinity engine and has plans for it. the 5.8l will be standard for the mach1 package that was confirmed by ford and in the UAW contracts. and the new SVT product will have the 5.8l. and there will be no 5.2l engine in the mustang. 5.0 to 5.2? that's a joke. why stretch an existing engine out when you already have a bigger engine? people on this forum just don't get that.

Users who are viewing this thread