The GT350 is here!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just a note on the 2015 Mustang Recaros for those of you who may not have sat in them yet.

They are very different than the '11-'14 Recaros in the GT500. They are quite a bit narrower and are softer. I'm 6'1" and weigh 200lbs and the Recaros are almost too narrow across the shoulders. Right on the edge of being uncomfortable. I had room to rattle around in the GT500 Recaros.

If you're a bigger guy I'm pretty sure the new Recaros are not for you. At a minimum you should sit in one before ordering a car with them.

Interesting point, my '14 GT500 are very roomy, the Recaros in my friend's S4 felt much more snug.
Will wait and see. I'm not a first year buyer either way, but a good point before ordering.
-J

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I've been thinking about it, and I think I'll still spring for the CC brakes. I look at it this way. If a disk fails, I can always "downgrade" to standard disks if replacement/repair costs are too prohibitive. I have a hard time believing that, in this day and age, manufacturers are going to put parts on cars that aren't going to last or perform as advertised. Especially parts as expensive as CC brakes. Thoughts?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Hmm... An excerpt from this article (http://articles.sae.org/13712/) cools my enthusiasm a bit.

... How does the GT350 feel to drive? Chassis tuning was done at Virginia International Raceway and the Nurburgring as well as Ford’s U.S. proving grounds. Nair has had seat time, and he describes the car as having “a Mustang GT feel, amped up to the next level.” He said that while steering may not be quite as nimble-feeling as that of the 2.3-L Ecoboost Mustang (lighter in front and thus better balanced), the MagneRide dampers “make it really surprising how aggressive you can be with the car without it getting upset. It handles crisply; on track you can ride the curbs a lot harder than with the prior vehicle or with the base GT,” Nair said.

That certainly doesn't sound like a serious track machine. :whine: I was hoping for something that feels way beyond a Mustang GT, not similar to it.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Hmm... An excerpt from this article (http://articles.sae.org/13712/) cools my enthusiasm a bit.

That certainly doesn't sound like a serious track machine. :whine: I was hoping for something that feels way beyond a Mustang GT, not similar to it.

Considering some of the GT500 guys have been raving about the feel of the new GT, I dont think that's a bad thing.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

For one, there is no way you are ever going to get the same "nimble feel" on a production V8 powered Mustang with some pretty wide rolling stock up front in comparison to a four cylinder car with narrower wheels and tires. He is truly comparing an apple to an orange there. And while the "Mustang GT feel" jumped out at me when I saw it as well I think you haven't highlighted in full context. The amped up to the next level portion completes his thought. My sense from his comments was that he was mindful to comment in such a way so as to not paint the car as a ragged edge, NVH be damned, track-only monster. Note Hameedi's supporting commentary...

Q: What is the percentage of stiffness difference on the bushing between the GT350 and the standard GT?
A: Not that much. The bushings are different. The rate, the springs, the swaybars are different.

Yet when questioned in terms of how it does perform on-track...

Q: Relative lap times compared to a Boss 302 around a race track?
A: Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster.

An "order of magnitude faster" in the context of track performance says quite a bit. Suddenly, Boss 302 owners track shoes are considering an upgrade.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
He said nothing there to curb my enthusiasm. If you're wanting more hardcore than that, they will be making an R model. This one should be hanging right with the Z28, but be as comfortable as a 2015 GT. All good news to me.

Expecting it to weigh less than 3600lbs. is encroaching on C7 territory. It should be within 100lbs. of the Vette, and have more power. If it stays under $60K base, that's going to be a lot of car for the money!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
He said nothing there to curb my enthusiasm. If you're wanting more hardcore than that, they will be making an R model. This one should be hanging right with the Z28, but be as comfortable as a 2015 GT. All good news to me.

Expecting it to weigh less than 3600lbs. is encroaching on C7 territory. It should be within 100lbs. of the Vette, and have more power. If it stays under $60K base, that's going to be a lot of car for the money!

this.

mike69440

Established Member
Hope Ford does not price themselves out of it.

$60 K needs to be the upper limit of the starting price.

If I were looking for a Comfy Trackable Star, the GT350 and the ATS-V Caddy would be cross shopped. The caddy has Less motor but less weight. GM Paid attention to the Turbo setup, so it is track capable. The Caddt underpinnings are darn serious. Both the the Ford and the Caddy are going to give the higher prtice spread guys something to worry about.

I actually like the looks of both cars.

91z28350

Established Member
Not so sure about the less weight. Number3, who posts on Camaro 5/6 and used to work for GM seems to think it (ATS-V) will be closer to 3700 than 3600. Still I like the ATS-V as seen in the release. Nice looking car.

BTW, the wifey wants a SRX, so looks like we will be getting a Caddy, just not the cool one :( LOL.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think Car and Driver weighed to ATS-v at just over 3,800

91z28350

Established Member
If the ATS-V (which is narrower) is weighing in at between 3700 and 3800 lbs, I think the Alpha Camaro will be in the same weight range as the Mustang. A loaded Z06 weighs 3550 or so, no way a SS/ZL1/1le is coming in at 3600 lbs like C5 is fantasizing.

hognutz

Established Member
I for one won't be cross shopping the ats-v with the GT350. they will not be in the same catagory to me at all. I think they camaro guys are fantasizing just like the ford guys were about the 2015 mustang haha.

new cars are heavy. the 6th gen should be lighter than than the 5th gen though. both new v8's have more power so the care will be faster. the rendering so far have it fugly though.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm really torn on whether or not to get the 350 or the 350R. You know the take rate on the 350R is going to be pretty low. And I like "rare" (relatively speaking) cars. So I'm leaning toward waiting for the R just for the rarity and novelty of it. I just wonder what the cost will be above the 350. If the R is a $60K base or less, I think I might be all over it.

jshen

Established Member
Good interview- and nice of Ford Execs to sit down and discuss this car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think Car and Driver weighed to ATS-v at just over 3,800

I don't think anyone outside of GM knows its weight. It was first shown just a few weeks ago. I doubt production models have been provided to the media yet. The current ATS 3.6 is about 3450, so figure ~150ish more for the V treatment and that should be in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread