The Smurfinator's engine build has begun

1320 Junkie

Established Member
After all this, whats your Jesus bolt now? (if any)Awesome build!

There honestly is none...every single shortcoming was addressed. My achilles right now will be my rear until i get the 9" ends and 35 spline stuff in it. But thats coming early march in time for race season.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
20160203_161217_zps3vf0f96k.jpg

IMG_20160204_185720_zpsoyevkacq.jpg

Im just waiting on my timing hardware to come in then i can load her in the truck and head to NJ for a visit with my main man Jim Larocca for cam degreeing and final assembly , then the rest is up to me. I have a bunch of vacation days set aside for the cars reassembly so it wont take long.

Last edited:

kw_rc

Established Member
dude, i'm so jelly right now. thanks for sharing your build with us:beer:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
dude, i'm so jelly right now. thanks for sharing your build with us:beer:

Lol...appreciate the love this thread has gotten. I get questions on the daily on social media and ill share whatever i can to help guys going thru their own build. My first engine build was a rod upgrade and sleeving to the block deal...never intended for anything but a high 9 pass...which it made. This motor now....was totally designed and built with 1 goal in mind. Cant wait to get to the final stages...i really miss just taking the wife for a cruise in our street car...it still smells new inside too lol.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
What made you decide not to go with a 9" rearend?

9" rear takes more hp to turn. A 8.8 is a formitable unit when upgraded the right way. A 9" isnt necessary with the 8.8 upgrades now available to us....not to mention the upgrades are a 1/3 of the price of a full 9" conversion

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I've been trying for years ....no luck.....diesel is the only thing that dilutes the odour but it temporary

That salami and KY funk has been there ever since i took you for a ride when u brought the Red cobra vert from PA to the house...might just set it on fire..lol.

Blackmax

Established Member
9" rear takes more hp to turn. A 8.8 is a formitable unit when upgraded the right way. A 9" isnt necessary with the 8.8 upgrades now available to us....not to mention the upgrades are a 1/3 of the price of a full 9" conversion

I lost about 2 tenths on the e.t. and it was expensive so if you can build an 8.8 strong now thats the way to. Could be difference between running a 9.9 or 10.1 The Ford 9 " also adds about 30lbs or more.

Tacticalriflema

Established Member
Did you lose those two tenths with the regular 9" center section or the one using chevy 12 bolt gears? The power loss is supposed to be reduced with that setup?

Blackmax

Established Member
Did you lose those two tenths with the regular 9" center section or the one using chevy 12 bolt gears? The power loss is supposed to be reduced with that setup?

Mine is the Strange unit used for Cobra Jets and pretty sure its all Ford. Everyone told me to expect the 2 tenths loss, for sure I felt it at the 650-700 h.p. at the time. I don't think I can any longer use it as an excuse because I have about 15% more h.p. plus I changed to aluminum center section. I can hit it hard every launch and getting better 60 foot times than I believe I could ever get with 8.8 without it breaking. Knock on wood this will be season 5 on the rear with no problems other than leak. Had the parts and knowledge been around 5 years ago to build a strong 8.8 I would have stuck with it but I twisted both axles on my "built" 8.8 back in the day .

avgt500

Established Member
Mine is the Strange unit used for Cobra Jets and pretty sure its all Ford. Everyone told me to expect the 2 tenths loss, for sure I felt it at the 650-700 h.p. at the time. I don't think I can any longer use it as an excuse because I have about 15% more h.p. plus I changed to aluminum center section. I can hit it hard every launch and getting better 60 foot times than I believe I could ever get with 8.8 without it breaking. Knock on wood this will be season 5 on the rear with no problems other than leak. Had the parts and knowledge been around 5 years ago to build a strong 8.8 I would have stuck with it but I twisted both axles on my "built" 8.8 back in the day .
Whos axles did you have? I'm looking at the strange gun drilled 33 spline.
1320, this is my dream build, looking forward to see this beast run.

Blackmax

Established Member
Whos axles did you have? I'm looking at the strange gun drilled 33 spline.
1320, this is my dream build, looking forward to see this beast run.

I had Moser 33's that were recomended by their sales guy, when I called him back he said no warranty as I twisted them racing. When I ordered the axles I told them I was running slicks and had 700 h.p. , in the end he admitted my stock axles were stronger than the ones he sold me.

Users who are viewing this thread