Tony Stewart hits driver Kevin Ward in sprint car incident....

ThomasL

Established Member
I don't think Tony had any intention of killing or even hitting the guy, but sure does sound like he tapped the throttle a bit to voice his displeasure with Ward. Unfortunately, we saw the results of doing that on a dirt track. So if he intentionally gassed it, is there some kind of manslaughter/wreckless driving charge that can come about? This is obviously a very unique situation.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
EH the driver was just trying to pull a Tony but never got to throw his helmet.

Honestly the throttle blip shows reckless behavior.

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
Wow, What a shame. That blip of the gas was what caused it, and that may be serious trouble for Tony.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
The guy turns the camera at the worst time. When I first watched it I felt the kid was 100% at fault, but the more I watch it the more I think Tony was trying to scare that kid and does have some blame in it. Why is is that everyone else was able to slowly pass on the inside while he blipped the throttle and was more on the outside? Now I don't think he tried to hit him, but it sure doesn't look like he went out of his way to safely pass him either.

A different angle is needed to really see what happened.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Sad, sad story. This is going to be interesting how this all bubbles up. Drivers get out of their cars a good bit of the time and show their frustrations. Tony did this a few years back with Matt Kenseth. http://youtu.be/mC8Jyuryc_s

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
The guy turns the camera at the worst time. When I first watched it I felt the kid was 100% at fault, but the more I watch it the more I think Tony was trying to scare that kid and does have some blame in it. Why is is that everyone else was able to slowly pass on the inside while he blipped the throttle and was more on the outside? Now I don't think he tried to hit him, but it sure doesn't look like he went out of his way to safely pass him either.

because the kid was specifically targeting Stewart's car and trying to get close to voice his displeasure? i'm sorry, it's tragic, and i know it's not popular to blame the deceased, however when car 45 ahead of Stewart had to swerve to miss him...

in my opinion, Stewart was probably surprised to see the kid on the track. as Kasey Kahne said earlier today to ESPN, Stewart didn't make contact with his car, and more than likely didn't even realize he had wrecked until coming around again.

steeltoe

Established Member
Sad, sad story. This is going to be interesting how this all bubbles up. Drivers get out of their cars a good bit of the time and show their frustrations. Tony did this a few years back with Matt Kenseth. http://youtu.be/mC8Jyuryc_s

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
Tons of driver throw helmets. Also that video is from Bristol and emotions run super high there. But Tony is walking in the pit lane and never steps in front of the car.

Also I wouldn't put to much into that throttle blip that could have been any car on the track.

mulchman

Established Member

The way it looks to me from the deadspin video, Stewart doesn't hit the throttle till right when he hits the kid. Also his car fishtales away from the kid, not into him. It also almost looks like the kid jumps at Stewarts car. He almost jumped in front of the car in front of Stewart.

Lightning Lad

Established Member
It is a tragedy that the boy died,but I will have to say both people involved made mistakes that could have easily been avoided.

oldmodman

Established Member
The way it looks to me from the deadspin video, Stewart doesn't hit the throttle till right when he hits the kid. Also his car fishtales away from the kid, not into him. It also almost looks like the kid jumps at Stewarts car. He almost jumped in front of the car in front of Stewart.

That was my take on it too. It looked like he blipped the throttle to spin AWAY from the other driver.

I have to take the position that by running onto an active track the driver put himself in jeopardy and the unfortunate results were unavoidable.

steeltoe

Established Member
I have a feeling no matter how this turns out Tony won't be getting back into a race car. This isn't something he's going to be over by next weekend.

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
i have to say i dont think he was trying to sling dirt on him .i dont think he saw him at all or untill it was to late.just a reminder that anything can happen at anytime .were only human.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

This. Lots of keyboard warriors that don't understand the physics of dirt racing. He blinded the throttle so the back end would drop and clear the kid because it's a banked surface, but it wasn't enough. Who's to say the kid didn't slip, because, well it's ****ing mud at that point in the race. And you guys gotta think too, smoke didn't see a person on the track until he was already inside that turn even if it was under caution.

No charges will be brought because no blame is on Stewart. Though Imo he needs to stick to sprint cup and stay out of these sprint cars, just bad situations all around when he does.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Also I do think these cars are steered more with the throttle than with the steering wheel. That's why I don't think this throttle blip thing is him trying to throw dirt on him as it is trying to steer the car.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
This. Lots of keyboard warriors that don't understand the physics of dirt racing. He blinded the throttle so the back end would drop and clear the kid because it's a banked surface, but it wasn't enough. Who's to say the kid didn't slip, because, well it's ****ing mud at that point in the race. And you guys gotta think too, smoke didn't see a person on the track until he was already inside that turn even if it was under caution.

No charges will be brought because no blame is on Stewart. Though Imo he needs to stick to sprint cup and stay out of these sprint cars, just bad situations all around when he does.
Exactly It wil drop the ass end on a throttle blip my step dad raced them

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I have a feeling no matter how this turns out Tony won't be getting back into a race car. This isn't something he's going to be over by next weekend.

I agree with this. He'll either be charged wth negligent homicide or some manslaughter charge, as he clearly was atleast one line higher than any other car avoiding the incident. Then he'll be sued for wrongful death in civil court. Either way, his racing career is done.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member

exactly. drives me nuts that all these idiots who don't give a rats ass about NASCAR/racing in general and don't understand the sport are suddenly giving their opinions about intent and what should have been done.

that's the problem with tragedy's like this. like it or not America, sometimes it's just a tragic accident, and in even rarer cases, the decision making of the deceased are what directly lead to their end. just because somebody dies doesn't always mean someone else is at fault. Stewart won't face an criminal charges because there's was nothing criminal about his actions. now a civil suit? well we all know nowadays nothing criminal has to take place for their to be a case.

Users who are viewing this thread