Turbo 5.0s?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I'm willing to pay for quality components. Especially ones that increase efficiency. In reality the turbos should be a la carte with a few to choose from and kit price adjusted accordingly. Not eveyone has the same goals and the beauty of a turbo kit is you can fine tune it to your application with the changes of a single component.

BTW the Borg Warner EFRs aren't cheap either, ~$2200.

Why would you want a non ball bearing turbo?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm willing to pay for quality components. Especially ones that increase efficiency. In reality the turbos should be a la carte with a few to choose from and kit price adjusted accordingly. Not eveyone has the same goals and the beauty of a turbo kit is you can fine tune it to your application with the changes of a single component.

A non ball bearing turbo will be fine for drag and almost anyone. If you size a turbo and A/R correct, you really wont have big lag problems unless your looking to run a 88mm+ on the street. If your looking for something that spools a little better or like to do road racing where you need that quicker boost transition then a BB will help there.

The EFR turbo's are nice, but the same can get done with the standard BG line up which can be found for under well $1000 new. I'm in process to start building my kit in a few weeks after the last track outing for some N/A times. i'll be using a 400sx 72mm with a race cover for the turbo.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
No straight line stuff for me, road course weekends absolutely, daily driving every day. And like I said I have no problem spending money to gain efficiency. Hence why the turbo should be a la carte to tailor the system to the end user's goals. Those that want a 15-20 year old design journal bearing turbos can save the cash, those that want equipment that is at the peak of performance can pay for it.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member

I'm not a big fan of EFR turbos. Other BW yes, but EFR... meh...
A non ball bearing turbo will be fine for drag and almost anyone. If you size a turbo and A/R correct, you really wont have big lag problems unless your looking to run a 88mm+ on the street. If your looking for something that spools a little better or like to do road racing where you need that quicker boost transition then a BB will help there.

The EFR turbo's are nice, but the same can get done with the standard BG line up which can be found for under well $1000 new. I'm in process to start building my kit in a few weeks after the last track outing for some N/A times. i'll be using a 400sx 72mm with a race cover for the turbo.
x2
No straight line stuff for me, road course weekends absolutely, daily driving every day. And like I said I have no problem spending money to gain efficiency. Hence why the turbo should be a la carte to tailor the system to the end user's goals. Those that want a 15-20 year old design journal bearing turbos can save the cash, those that want equipment that is at the peak of performance can pay for it.

Then you need something small, with quick spool. You'd probably want like a 67mm... or not even go turbo at all. You'll probably be over powered, even with a 67mm..

D.T.R

Established Member
Also, there is nothing wrong with a journal bearing turbo. The difference is very minimal, probably unnoticeable... especially on a JB turbo with a billet wheel.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Not interested in super quick spool traction is already a bit of an issue on corner exit. Once I get a slick setup probably not that much. Somthing that hits full boost around 4000 or so would be nice to help pull this heavy ass car down the straights with a bit more oomph.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Also, there is nothing wrong with a journal bearing turbo. The difference is very minimal, probably unnoticeable... especially on a JB turbo with a billet wheel.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with them. I just said there is better technology out there that is more efficient. If I'm going to install a kit it is going to be with the best possible components I can source.

CPRsm

I looked at garrett Sean. Problem is the turbines in that frame max out long before the compressor. So you end end w a 1000hp compressor and a 700hp turbine. Back pressure is fine if it's not limiting the compressors operation. The TT kit used a GTX based turbo but was w a custom turbine. So I couldn't honestly even say in their smaller package.
To be honest in the domestic world I haven't seen data that shows spool change w BB units. I like them more for thrust wear and longevity. Especially sticks cars with anti lag.
Nice part is Sean with this frame and the data I gather, build you a turbo exatly how you want and have it do it's business when you want. We're not stuck with one turbine and four AR housig sizes.

D.T.R

Established Member
I didn't say there is anything wrong with them. I just said there is better technology out there that is more efficient. If I'm going to install a kit it is going to be with the best possible components I can source.

To be honest with you, I went through this with my Honda.
Between a 6765 jb with billet wheel vs the 6765 bb there was very little difference, i personally could not feel it while driving/racing. Yet the bb option was about an extra thousand dollars. Both make the same max power, the difference is minimal rpms of spool. Not worth it on my book to pay $1000 to gain 100 rpms of spool. To each their own i guess.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
You could be right, the spool difference isn't as noticable on 5.0L motor, I don't have personal first hand experience with a force fed engine of this size yet. On my smaller displacement turbo motors I definietly saw a nice pick up in spool going to a BB unit. I'll be interested to see the results of the two CPR kits currently being installed. I also like the improved reliability of the BB units.

Last edited:

CPRsm

^^^ Yeah, only claims I've seen is import world where the turbine was very large compared to the engine size,...anything that can help with inertia at that point.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I looked at garrett Sean. Problem is the turbines in that frame max out long before the compressor. So you end end w a 1000hp compressor and a 700hp turbine. Back pressure is fine if it's not limiting the compressors operation. The TT kit used a GTX based turbo but was w a custom turbine. So I couldn't honestly even say in their smaller package.
To be honest in the domestic world I haven't seen data that shows spool change w BB units. I like them more for thrust wear and longevity. Especially sticks cars with anti lag.
Nice part is Sean with this frame and the data I gather, build you a turbo exatly how you want and have it do it's business when you want. We're not stuck with one turbine and four AR housig sizes.

We need to stop talking so frequently. I'm going to be spending too much money come next spring.:nonono:

CPRsm

Lol, just tell the wife I pressured you in and it was a high pressure sales pitch. Gets most of my customers off the hook. Although it makes local car shows hell. More than one pissed of lady there eyeing me down like it really WAS my fault lol.
The comp stuff is the ct5 frame. Those housings are 4in down pipes to start on the T4. That's their version on the Gt4202.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
No wife yet, but a small piece of metal with a supossedly rare rock might also be in the future next spring as well. Better start playing the lottery, or purging a couple of the other toys.:nonono:

CPRsm

Oh then ur good. "It's my money" is still a valid excuse lol. Buy speed parts, take her to the movies and kick her down w some hagen das, call it even haha. Damn I've been married too long.
Idk if I mentioned yet but this k member will also help bring the bumpsteer close to factory specs for guys who have lowered and not added bumpsteer kits. Not all the way to factory spec, but close, and it's free lol

MRSUPRA

Established Member
From my experience with several turbos on my Supra, the spool difference and transient response between J/B and a BB turbos is nearly unnoticable. I have personally had very good luck with several Precision turbos (most being J/B). The newer Billet PT turbos just flat out make power.

A Comp turbo would have me concerned from all the issues I've read about.

CPRsm

Yeah, I couldn't say honestly. I have seen a blip here and there about comp. But I can say the same for about any manufacurer honestly. They have made a mistake or two w me, but made up for it and been helpful. There are many companies I can't say that about. So right now that relationship has a clean bill of health.
PTE's shit does make some power, tell you what. Customer just broke 1100rwhp with a pair on a blower motor lol. Only problem here with them is the selection of sizes in that frame. Then if you step up to an 82/85, you have to buy a BB setup. It's the only way they come. If it fits I have no problem running it. Talking to someone right now who wants to run one real bad. I just need to get some drawings to make sure there is no fab involved.

D.T.R

Established Member
Yup, Precision PTE billet JB = win. Affordable turbo that makes stupid power.

Users who are viewing this thread