Want to buy a start n charge

boxinabag

Established Member
My alt took a crap and I want to buy a Start n Charge alt, but I can't find out how to get one on order.

Is there a website or a phone number that some of you know of?

boxinabag

Established Member
gah I cant wait another two weeks, i need it this up coming weekend :-/ I guess I will have to buy a PA alternator for now

boxinabag

Established Member
ive about had it with this car, so far it has had nothing but problems with its design. I can't even enjoy this thing, im about ready to sell it and buy a corvette.

boxinabag

Established Member
now that I am calmed down.... a message just popped up saying my ink is low in my printer... ugh.... anyways, now that I am cooled down lol, I am going to buy a reman from oreillys 130 amp and put that in because of the life time warranty, and buy some duct work, run it from the hole on the drivers side fog light and get it positioned in front of the alternator. 70-80 mph winds at 40-50 degree temps should help keep it cool I hope.

what do you guys think?

KILRSVT

Established Member
That ain't bad but the best way to increase alt life is run a bigger alt pulley I am on my 4rth one lol I hope my next one will last longer

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Lol. You are going to buy a crap alt with a great warranty from o'reilleys.
Do a search as it will tell you to buy a Ford reman or a start n charge

mrose75

Established Member
My alternator crapped out on me this week. Under 19K on her. It wasn't complete gone, but it was going. That pissed me off something serious the way it happened. I see a larger Alt pulley in my future. Where do I pick one up, and what size?

boxinabag

Established Member
Lol. You are going to buy a crap alt with a great warranty from o'reilleys.
Do a search as it will tell you to buy a Ford reman or a start n charge

Ive done plenty of searches, and know that the remans from Ford are no better, you would have to buy a new OEM for it make any difference, and they don't make those anymore, and Ford does not offer a lifetime warranty.

Start n Charge is not up and running right now and I can't wait a few weeks, I need it this weekend.

Last edited:

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I don't know what threads you have been reading during your searches but remanufactured ford alternators are highly recommended. I have heard of little if any problems with them.

If you are fed up with your car right now, buying an aftermarket alternator with a lifetime warranty may push you over the edge. Most fail within a few days.

boxinabag

Established Member
damnit I went through like 12 pages of crap trying to find information and all i found was f everything unless it is Start n Charge, that all remans are crap. So a reman from Ford is actually good?!

Ill have to go back through and change up my search a bit and try to find more info... ugh... well I will buy a ford reman if thats the case.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Start n charge Alts. have been failing as well. They have only beeout a few years and a now we are starting to see some failures. Besides you really want to purchase from someone who does this on the side and doesn't have a phone number or an office.
Don't go to Oryleys, autozone, pepboys or napa. They are 90 amp Alts. The best of the 4 alts I've had so far is the Ford. Make sure they check the part # and check to see if it's 130 amp. Ford does make a 90 amp that will fit our cars.

You've got to be kidding. Have you never seen a superior product manufactured from a small shop, often on the side? :shrug:
How many can you confirm went bad? I'm not aware of any. He builds a high quality alternator (he's been working on alternators for over 20 years) so I would have to believe the failure rate is extremely small.

Oh, and he most certainly does have a phone number. Has had one all along. :dw:

oldmodman

Established Member
The duct blowing on the alternator is a big help. I have been doing that to mine since I burned my hand on mine shortly after buying my Cobra in 02. Looks ugly if you are under the car, but so do the ducts on my brakes.
And putting a larger pulley on the alternator is a good idea. The stock pulley does overspin the alternator at redline.

Users who are viewing this thread