Warming up your car In your driveway? Here's a ticket

Zemedici

Established Member

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What a slap in the face, huh?!?!
Pay taxes on the property, but don't let your car idle in the driveway because someone will steal it. I mean,...the government is only looking out for our best interest, right?!?! LOL
Unbelievable.
More like,...please don't idle your car in the driveway because of globull warming.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
So...if you leave your keys in your ignition...and the car isn't running...can they give you a ticket? Probably not...because a thief would NEVER figure out how to start the car...

Way too much government.

That police force needs to reevaluate their purpose - to protect and serve. Worst case...the officer should have informed the owner of the law and given him a warning.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Charlotte, NC has that legislation. They just don't try to pass it off as protection. They specifically say it's to lessen global warming emissions.

oldmodman

Established Member
My daughters new explorer has remote start from the factory and I think it stays locked

It does. I am fairly sure that all factory installed remote starters will shut off the car if the fob or key is not present and will not let the car drive off.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My mother in law got a tint ticket once... in her driveway.

Absolutely ridiculous. And the owner claimed he was inside for less than 10 minutes. Probably took close to that to write the ticket.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Here in Texas, it is illegal to leave your keys in the vehicle.

I once was "reprimanded" by someone for leaving my truck running when I got out and left it running with the A/C blowing. I looked at them at told them it was illegal to leave the keys in it and held up the keys and told them "here are the keys". Remote start for the win.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I read that on Fox news yesterday. I thought, "this has to be some sort of joke"; I soon realized it wasn't. Wow! Just wow!

Black2010

Established Member
Texas has the same laws. Serious question though, I was once advised by an insurance agent that if your car was stolen in that fashion that it would not be covered due to negligence. I've always wondered if that was true.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Now this is just a question but is the officer technically trespassing to give him that ticket

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Nope. Police officers have the right to cite people on "private" property. Whether it be a house, your back yard or a companies property, they can do it if they have a reason.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
This has been a big thing here the last few years. They refer to it as "puffing" when people warm up their cars in the cold, and many have been ticketed. Remote start is the only thing allowed if you leave a running vehicle unattended.

The claim is to prevent vehicle theft, because if it wasn't left running, the innocent thief would have never stolen it...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Texas has the same laws. Serious question though, I was once advised by an insurance agent that if your car was stolen in that fashion that it would not be covered due to negligence. I've always wondered if that was true.

They would have to prove thats what happened, but insurance companies will get out of covering you any way they can.

Users who are viewing this thread