What the hell is going on

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Was probably the Royal Purple oil you use, that helps you win the races.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Ok, I almost lost my breakfast over that one, until I scrolled down and saw you were joking.

In regards to the 5.0... I think it's a great engine that obviously has a ton of potential. However, so many act like it's this technological marvel because it makes such great power with low levels of boost. This shouldn't be a mystery. It's all due to the high compression ratio, which is old school technology. Put some 11:1 pistons in a 5.4 4v gt500 and then you'll see who's king.
i don't think the allure is the engine so much as it's the total package. the 5.0l GT is just a much more efficient all the way around, not debatable. the car just plain hooks up and moves out, both the autos and sticks, while everyone knows that GT500s just don't hook up for shit. it's mind boggling really, since the chassis are basically the same V6 through GT500. i guess the weight distribution really does make that big of a difference.

BTW, the 5.0l engine is a technological marvel. find me another DOHC V8 with independent VVT and 11:1 compression while still being able to run on regular unleaded(not recommended, but capable of) right at $30k.
build both engines equally and i think some of the most vocal 5.4l fans might be surprised. could the 5.0l equal the 5.4l? i think it might be a little short on peak HP, but it would be FAR closer than a lot give it credit for. those higher flowing heads + the Ti-VVT make up quite a bit of ground on the displacement. this isn't the 70's, "no replacement for displacement" doesn't apply like it used to.

R1Lello

Established Member
i don't think the allure is the engine so much as it's the total package. the 5.0l GT is just a much more efficient all the way around, not debatable. the car just plain hooks up and moves out, both the autos and sticks, while everyone knows that GT500s just don't hook up for shit. it's mind boggling really, since the chassis are basically the same V6 through GT500. i guess the weight distribution really does make that big of a difference.

BTW, the 5.0l engine is a technological marvel. find me another DOHC V8 with independent VVT and 11:1 compression while still being able to run on regular unleaded(not recommended, but capable of) right at $30k.
build both engines equally and i think some of the most vocal 5.4l fans might be surprised. could the 5.0l equal the 5.4l? i think it might be a little short on peak HP, but it would be FAR closer than a lot give it credit for. those higher flowing heads + the Ti-VVT make up quite a bit of ground on the displacement. this isn't the 70's, "no replacement for displacement" doesn't apply like it used to.

Amazing isn't it.........but it's getting more hp supposedly........big f'in deal, make it hook with what it has Ford !!!!

sky1

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but with the 11 GT500 Ford did alot to help with the heat soak over the older GT500's,and just like the handling the 11 is much improved over previous GT500's.I am not knocking the drag strip,but for me I bought the 11 GT500 because it will go around corners good too,and after I did my suspension upgrade to take it up a notch I think its perfect.The 5.0 is agreat car and has its nitch,but I for one would not sell my GT500 to get one.I might add a Boss 302 LS to the stable,but I would still keep the Shelby.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I went 9.49 on radials and bunch of 9.50 passes..those are the fastest I know of.

By the way I'll run any of you from a roll bring the car and camera!!! You can see what 120mph wheel spin looks like!!!!
I cant wait!!!! 60 mph! Watch you go by with the wheels spinning!

CPRsm

Eh, the car hooks and moves out because of the lack of bottom end. GT500's are the domestic Supra to a point. People makes gobs of power yet spend little attention to getting it to the ground. Add to that the massive bottom end most guys have with the style power adder they run and it compounds that problem.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Eh, the car hooks and moves out because of the lack of bottom end.

^This!

This is also why the 5.0 stock auto transmission cars with stock torque converter are so successful with the Roush TVS. The PD blower somewhat makes up for the weaker bottom end and slip of the stock converter, but also makes it a soft blow on the launch. It's not instant torque, and a lot easier to launch.

Of course....on the street from a roll....it gets ATE UP by the heavy modded GT500 and a manual.

Last edited:

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
unfortunately your info is off. 5.0's make more hp than the 5.4. It's not just compression but the heads are far superior. MM&FF did a write up a few months back. Boost vs boost the 5.0 made more hp at less boost with equal blowers(KB I believe). We're only talking 29+/- cubic inches.

That comparison was stupid cause the 5.0 had race gas and the 5.4 was on pump gas.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I am the exception to the rule, my car works/hooks on the street or track......TRY ME!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Eh, the car hooks and moves out because of the lack of bottom end. GT500's are the domestic Supra to a point. People makes gobs of power yet spend little attention to getting it to the ground. Add to that the massive bottom end most guys have with the style power adder they run and it compounds that problem.
PD supercharged 5.0ls don't have a problem hooking though. they still may be lacking in low end some to the shelby, but after you throw a blower on the curve is closer to GT500 than it is to stock NA 5.0l.
i agree with you to some degree, but i don't think the HP/torque curve is the only reason the 5.0l hooks up better.
I am the exception to the rule, my car works/hooks on the street or track......TRY ME!
but how much suspension work does it have? those 5.0ls are hooking hard with minimal work.

chuckstang

Established Member
I hate manuals!

Sat in traffic today and realized the new GTs clutches suck like any other Mustang factory unit and missed 3rd gear on WOT 2-3, friggin locked out until the rpms dropped.

I knew how great the new autos were but yet for some reason ended up going manual. WTF ! trade anyone?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Don’t Modify Your Mustang, Because Ford’s New TSB Says So - StangTV.com

Who gives a **** now. My GT500 is still covered under warranty, & I've gotten numerous things done under warranty with my mods. Read that article & weep my friends, so these so called procharged behemoths of 5.0s can whip our asses all they want, but when their high compression engines pop from too high of boost & pussy internals they can't go back to the dealer now. They can see al that has been done, even if you return it back to stock before bringing it in. So in the end, my heavy pig still remains victor....:beer:

svt1111

Established Member
Don’t Modify Your Mustang, Because Ford’s New TSB Says So - StangTV.com

Who gives a **** now. My GT500 is still covered under warranty, & I've gotten numerous things done under warranty with my mods. Read that article & weep my friends, so these so called procharged behemoths of 5.0s can whip our asses all they want, but when their high compression engines pop from too high of boost & pussy internals they can't go back to the dealer now. They can see al that has been done, even if you return it back to stock before bringing it in. So in the end, my heavy pig still remains victor....:beer:

Lol! With a post like that you might as well go over to the GM camp!
:bowdown:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Not to carry a tone like Hoff, but the 5.0 crowd is having issues with warranty for #8 cylinder failure. Two possible causes are bad tunes from the aftermarket, and a factory issue with faulty oil squirter on #8.

TSB warning from Ford

Here is a post I made on the issue.

5.0 #8 failure <--- shocking information here

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Interesting TSB and comments from Ford. That's enough to make me hold off on a 2011+ Mustang.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I hate manuals!

Sat in traffic today and realized the new GTs clutches suck like any other Mustang factory unit and missed 3rd gear on WOT 2-3, friggin locked out until the rpms dropped.

I knew how great the new autos were but yet for some reason ended up going manual. WTF ! trade anyone?

I hear golf carts don't require much work and are pretty reliable.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's shocking that Ford is even voiding warranties on stock cars that are having #8 cylinder failures. If you look at the link below, you will see pictures of emails from the dealership to corporate discussing an issue with spinning the #2 rod bearing due to low oil after very little miles.

Picture post

Looks like the engine everyone is raving about isn't nearly as robust as our 5.4L

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Not to carry a tone like Hoff, but the 5.0 crowd is having issues with warranty for #8 cylinder failure. Two possible causes are bad tunes from the aftermarket, and a factory issue with faulty oil squirter on #8.

TSB warning from Ford

Here is a post I made on the issue.

5.0 #8 failure <--- shocking information here

What's wrong with my tone? lol

Lol! With a post like that you might as well go over to the GM camp!
:bowdown:

LOL, I felt like ranting a little because all I've been hearing lately is 5.0 this and 5.0 that, and the 5.0 is back. **** a 5.0. The 5.4 & 5.0 battle is getting almost as heated as the Z06 & Zr1 guys(Now that's something funny to watch there).

It's shocking that Ford is even voiding warranties on stock cars that are having #8 cylinder failures. If you look at the link below, you will see pictures of emails from the dealership to corporate discussing an issue with spinning the #2 rod bearing due to low oil after very little miles.

Picture post

Looks like the engine everyone is raving about isn't nearly as robust as our 5.4L

WINNING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread