what would you buy, new 5.0 or SS

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Looking at my purchasing a new car in next 3-6 months. I just can't make up my mind so I wanted to get SVTP's opinion on my situation.

I am not really brand loyal to be honest, I just want something fun with a V8 manual to drive. I'm thinking the car I can get the best deal on, will be the car i choose. My banks car buying service prices out a new base 2016 5.0 at around $29,xxx and a base 2016 SS camaro at $36,xxx.

Part of me says get the mustang because the price/performance is great (the 5.0 tranny kind of worries me). The other part of me says get the camaro for the extra power (and that NPP exhaust) and better transmission...it seems like some days i can justify the extra $7k, and some days I say get the 5.0 and dont pour too much money into a car.

unfortunately im not in a position to test drive the camaro for the next 2 months. Ive test driven a 2015 PP 5.0 and it was a blast. ive driven a 2012 SS and it was a blast, so i cant imagine a 16 SS being any worse. Both cars are so solid, i just cant make up my mind. What would you guys do if you were in the market.

PC03GT

Established Member
I would get the 5.0, the new mustangs are awesome. The new SS is ugly as shit!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The SS will be the better performer stock, but for that $7K you could put the Mustang into the 650rwhp range.

I would wait before you buy anything and test drive the Camaro, my buddy put an order in for one after he test drove one but he is concerned the lack visibility will get to him.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
If you are going FI, without a doubt the 5.0. I can't get over the looks of the new camaro either, its like GM went cheap and lazy as hell with exterior looks. Yes, it lost weight, but why on earth is it still that big of a pig?

Does anyone know the power limits of the Coyote 2.0 ('15 and up coyotes)? Also the power limits of the LT4?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id still go with the 5.0. You lose power but gain looks and much better overall quality of product.

Dont let the camaruh hype get you, they dropped weight to match the Mustang, not exceed it. They have 30hp/50tq advantage in the motor dept.

Safe limits of the current coyote are still ~650whp conservatively. I dont think the LT4 has been out long enough to measure its durability when boosted.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Asking this question in a ford / mustang based website, full of biased people... Lol

With that said, go Mustang.

Sounds like you are just looking for good bang for the buck. If you were looking for the flat out superior car, you would go with the 16 SS. It shits on the mustang in every possible performance metric.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Like Zyborg stated sounds like your more about budget. I'd go 5.0. I'd save the 7k and you could always do mods later. If the manual trans scares you get the auto with a tune I hear there just as fun. The new Camaro performance is good too but me I prefer the looks of the out going style vs the style that is out now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hey guys, should I have sex with my wife or the hot Milf across the street?

Not enough info. We are going to need stock specs, lots of pictures from every angle, and a list of mods for each subject. Also, it might be a good idea to let a professional test drive both so an in-depth unbiased comparison can be made, including an HD video with commentary so we can all make a complete and honest determination what you should do. Only after all this is done can we honestly form an opinion and give you advice as to which one to go with.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Looking at my purchasing a new car in next 3-6 months. I just can't make up my mind so I wanted to get SVTP's opinion on my situation.

I am not really brand loyal to be honest, I just want something fun with a V8 manual to drive. I'm thinking the car I can get the best deal on, will be the car i choose. My banks car buying service prices out a new base 2016 5.0 at around $29,xxx and a base 2016 SS camaro at $36,xxx.

Part of me says get the mustang because the price/performance is great (the 5.0 tranny kind of worries me). The other part of me says get the camaro for the extra power (and that NPP exhaust) and better transmission...it seems like some days i can justify the extra $7k, and some days I say get the 5.0 and dont pour too much money into a car.

unfortunately im not in a position to test drive the camaro for the next 2 months. Ive test driven a 2015 PP 5.0 and it was a blast. ive driven a 2012 SS and it was a blast, so i cant imagine a 16 SS being any worse. Both cars are so solid, i just cant make up my mind. What would you guys do if you were in the market.

Go to a dealer and sit in a Camaro, and you will buy the 5.0. End Thread.

Jaysin

Established Member
Of the two I'd go for the 5.0, I'm not brand loyal either, but the new SS just doesn't look good to me. Performance wise both are plenty capable of producing enough to be useless on public roads, plus you'll be saving a little money too which is always nice.

kierrea35

Established Member
Not enough info. We are going to need stock specs, lots of pictures from every angle, and a list of mods for each subject. Also, it might be a good idea to let a professional test drive both so an in-depth unbiased comparison can be made, including an HD video with commentary so we can all make a complete and honest determination what you should do. Only after all this is done can we honestly form an opinion and give you advice as to which one to go with.

Well played sir :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread