what would you buy, new 5.0 or SS

Zemedici

Established Member
Can a member please tell me were I can buy a new Whipple supercharger installed for my 2014 5.0 for $7000. I have read several comments on this thread that say i can, but the best I can find is $10000 installed minimum, with one year warranty. That's a Whipple installed by a Ford dealer! Please help with this, I live in south OC and i want to boost my Stang but i don't want to pay too much, thanks!

You can't.

Install it yourself and that would bring it down. Looks like the kit is $7k right on the screws so id assume most here are assuming its being installed DIY.

Most people aren't equipped or have the mechanical knowledge to install a procharger kit, though.

And the clutch won't last very long. Plus id want a real tune + exhaust etc etc

10k is a realistic price. Fast, cheap, reliable, pick two.

Zemedici

Established Member
Most people shouldnt have modded cars then lol.

Eh, I can install the shit myself. But I don't have the time, and after working 12 hours the last thing I wanna do is spend 5-6 hours on my back wrenching. I'll pay someone to work on my car every time. Plus Tim Lynch does all my work :D

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Eh, I can install the shit myself. But I don't have the time, and after working 12 hours the last thing I wanna do is spend 5-6 hours on my back wrenching. I'll pay someone to work on my car every time. Plus Tim Lynch does all my work :D

Id never trust anyone doing anything to my cars. I do it all myself or I don't do it. I find enjoyment in the process of doing it, not necessarily the end result.

08mojo

Established Member
Most people aren't equipped or have the mechanical knowledge to install a procharger kit, though.

It is a direct bolt on system. I don't see any part of the install that is difficult. One of the 'hardest' parts in the past was drilling and tapping the oil pan--they've even eliminated that step.

Eh, I can install the shit myself. But I don't have the time, and after working 12 hours the last thing I wanna do is spend 5-6 hours on my back wrenching. I'll pay someone to work on my car every time.

Hmmm.... I know you can, but to others that dont frequent the forum your response looks a bit suspect.:D

Id never trust anyone doing anything to my cars. I do it all myself or I don't do it. I find enjoyment in the process of doing it, not necessarily the end result.

Agreed!

And to the original question: on paper the camaro looks great, in real life not so much. I'd pick the mustang.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Hmmm.... I know you can, but to others that dont frequent the forum your response looks a bit suspect.:D

What? How is what he says suspect? The lengths people go thru to make something sound cheaper than it is astounds me. As said 10k is a more realistic number for supercharging a new Mustang. Why would I want to install in when Ford will do it and give me a warranty to boot? My dads a career mechanic and even he'd steer me in that direction.

Thomas mentions warranty then in the next breath talks about self installing a supercharger kit........bye bye warranty!

08mojo

Established Member
What? How is what he says suspect? The lengths people go thru to make something sound cheaper than it is astounds me. As said 10k is a more realistic number for supercharging a new Mustang. Why would I want to install in when Ford will do it and give me a warranty to boot? My dads a career mechanic and even he'd steer me in that direction.

Thomas mentions warranty then in the next breath talks about self installing a supercharger kit........bye bye warranty!

Calm down now. I was giving him a hard time with the whole, "I can do it myself, but I work too much/don't want to spend the time/blah blah blah excuses."

Just because you choose the $10k route to have a "warranty" doesn't mean others can't get the same results by doing the labor themselves for $7k.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Calm down now. I was giving him a hard time with the whole, "I can do it myself, but I work too much/don't want to spend the time/blah blah blah excuses."

Just because you choose the $10k route to have a "warranty" doesn't mean others can't get the same results by doing the labor themselves for $7k.

You can do it yourself and keep the warranty? Of course you'll get similar numbers installing the same parts vs the "pros" doing it. We're talking about a spanking new car here so warranty will be taken into account but more people than not. I'm not the typical SVT baller so I don't have the money to chance blowing the motor on a new car so I'd want the peace of mind.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

When did I mention warranty in this thread? I like CPO/Warranty for my own shit and dont intend on throwing on any major mods to void it. What, does that now mean I cant comment on someone else as possibly doing it?

08mojo

Established Member
You can do it yourself and keep the warranty? Of course you'll get similar numbers installing the same parts vs the "pros" doing it. We're talking about a spanking new car here so warranty will be taken into account but more people than not. I'm not the typical SVT baller so I don't have the money to chance blowing the motor on a new car so I'd want the peace of mind.

So we agree: the supercharger is $7k and the warranty is $3k.

2KBlackGT

Established Member

You sneaky bastard :lol1:

When did I mention warranty in this thread? I like CPO/Warranty for my own shit and dont intend on throwing on any major mods to void it. What, does that now mean I cant comment on someone else as possibly doing it?

Well..

Sometimes its not that much cheaper, new gets you warranty and sometimes better financing deals.

Unless you are standard SVTP baller buying $25k cars in cash.

Zemedici

Established Member

Fair enough. To me it's a car. It's a machine. It can always be fixed. Hell people bullshit me all the time 'hey lemme drive your car' - so I toss them the keys, and their eyes get all big. 'Oh no no I can't'

It's just a car.

It is a direct bolt on system. I don't see any part of the install that is difficult. One of the 'hardest' parts in the past was drilling and tapping the oil pan--they've even eliminated that step.

And to the original question: on paper the camaro looks great, in real life not so much. I'd pick the mustang.

Look here sir! Hahaha different strokes different folks. It's fun to do minor stuff every once in a while, headers once in a blue moon, new exhaust, clutch jobs. But **** a self install supercharger. Done that once on my buddy's 350z. Once in a lifetime is good for me :D

Thanks for having my back, Vic.

No sir Hahahaha you need clutch, exhaust, etc. you know the deal!

sniper85

Established Member
I actually test drove a '16 SS a few weeks ago. Full options w/ A8. I thought the car was very nice. The ride was smooth, I could feel the difference in power when I put my foot down. The interior was awesome (imo). After seeing it in person it did look better to me but I still prefer the looks of the new 5.0 to the new SS. I probably would have traded it in but I don't need another 2 door car. My mustang is almost paid off and possibilities of a 3rd child on the way. So, I can do without an added bill to the pile. But I would test drive both to get a feel. Maybe you should consider something used or a 14/15 SS 1/LE.

08mojo

Established Member
You sneaky bastard :lol1:

:-D

Look here sir! Hahaha different strokes different folks. It's fun to do minor stuff every once in a while, headers once in a blue moon, new exhaust, clutch jobs. But **** a self install supercharger. Done that once on my buddy's 350z. Once in a lifetime is good for me :D

No sir Hahahaha you need clutch, exhaust, etc. you know the deal!

I hear you on both points. As I get older, the less I enjoy working on cars. The problem is, I am never trusing or satisfied with someone else's work.

We ever going to get the GA crew to meet up?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I just wanted to say / recant so of my previous statements in regards to the looks of the 15 GT. Today I saw an orange 15 GT that was done so very right. Small touches to the exterior that made it look fantastic, just about as good looking as a GT350. It is a very nice car in deeded, especially with some small apperance touches and personification. You cant go wrong with either choice.

Users who are viewing this thread