what would you buy, new 5.0 or SS

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Wat, you just described the look of every camaro owner, ever. Only thing he is missing is a mullett.

That makes NO sense at all, nor is it remotely funny...

I expected better from you thomas, you even had an edit... I am disappoint.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Asking this question in a ford / mustang based website, full of biased people... Lol

With that said, go Mustang.

Sounds like you are just looking for good bang for the buck. If you were looking for the flat out superior car, you would go with the 16 SS. It shits on the mustang in every possible performance metric.

^He's absolutely right. It weighs about as much as the S550 5.0 and is equipped with the LT1..

When I hunt down a new car in ~4 months I'll be looking at the PP 16' 5.0 simply due to price and looks when compared to the new SS. The SS is a better performance vehicle. That's that.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
My bad thomas, you are right.

Here are some areas where the stang is better:

- Trunk space / grocery storage capabilities
- Back seat leg room
- Ergonomics
- Head room
- Visibility
- Cooler owners / most camaro guys are corny as ****
- Better website / SVTP, there is no equal

God you need to meet some of these 5.0 asshats around Atlanta. You'd change your opinion real quick.

And who said 650whp for 7k? What, one time? Reliable FI build will run almost 10, and that's with self install. Hell the kits are 7k alone. Then you need clutch, fuel, exhaust, tune....I know, been there done that.

I have a 2015 PP 5.0 premium with every single available option save adaptive cruise (didn't like the bumper on those models equipped), stickered for almost 44k I believe.

And I'd rather have an SS. The 15s just aren't very fun to drive. I'm gonna build mine up a bit to see if it helps, but I don't have high hopes

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
The new Camaro is a vast improvement on the fifth gen, which was a DREADFUL car from the inside out (save the LS3), BUT it's still a Camaro. If you preferred a Mustang before, you're still going to prefer a Mustang. The performance gap is nominal and easily corrected with the right modifications. Good luck with your search.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
God you need to meet some of these 5.0 asshats around Atlanta. You'd change your opinion real quick.

And who said 650whp for 7k? What, one time? Reliable FI build will run almost 10, and that's with self install. Hell the kits are 7k alone. Then you need clutch, fuel, exhaust, tune....I know, been there done that.

I have a 2015 PP 5.0 premium with every single available option save adaptive cruise (didn't like the bumper on those models equipped), stickered for almost 44k I believe.

And I'd rather have an SS. The 15s just aren't very fun to drive. I'm gonna build mine up a bit to see if it helps, but I don't have high hopes

5.0 guys might be a little delirious at times but I promise you, camaro cornballs take the cake by a landslide. Bunch of Lambo door having, decepticon badge, flat billed hat wearing mofos!

Your 5.0 is one of the very few (counted with one hand), that actually looks pretty alright... The stance and wheels are killer.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
I'd go 5.0 but spend the extra $2.5k for the performance pack. You get a whole lot of upgrades for very little money, the major one is the lsd

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you like the looks of both, you are going to have to drive both back to back. Best bet is to rent one for a weekend, then rent the other. You won't get the drivetrain that you want but you will get the feel of the ergonomics of each of the cars.

SirShaun

Established Member
I'd punch myself in the throat for buying a "new" pony car.

Go used, get your shits and giggles for cheap.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Asking this question in a ford / mustang based website, full of biased people... Lol

With that said, go Mustang.

Sounds like you are just looking for good bang for the buck. If you were looking for the flat out superior car, you would go with the 16 SS. It shits on the mustang in every possible performance metric.

Aside from the ergonomics you need a sawzall to fix... Sitting in a ZL1 back to back with a GT500 was shocking to say the least. I can't believe GM has been able to sell them past a year or two much less make a second generation. The visibility is non existent out the back and pretty terrible to the sides and over the shoulder. The beltline is just awkward especially combined with the reclined seating position. From looking in the 16s on the lot the only thing GM bothered fixing is the interior quality, its now iffy instead of "what the hell were they thinking".

Last edited:

Astenax

Established Member
Id go with the SS! GM really nailed it with the new Camaro. Looks are subjective, for example i think the S197 Mustangs look better than either the new 5.0 or SS, of course thats just my opinion though. At the end of the day these are performance cars and the SS performance is better! Personally im happy with my 14' and i dont feel the need to trade her in at this point. When the new ZL1 comes out, well that might be the tipping point to trade in my Stang!

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
The SS will be the better performer stock, but for that $7K you could put the Mustang into the 650rwhp range.

I would wait before you buy anything and test drive the Camaro, my buddy put an order in for one after he test drove one but he is concerned the lack visibility will get to him.
Yea I have a 2014 camaro and the visibility is atrocious backing up you can see a thing and the pillars are just massive.

Zemedici

Established Member
5.0 guys might be a little delirious at times but I promise you, camaro cornballs take the cake by a landslide. Bunch of Lambo door having, decepticon badge, flat billed hat wearing mofos!

Your 5.0 is one of the very few (counted with one hand), that actually looks pretty alright... The stance and wheels are killer.

Thank you sir, means a lot coming from you. Lmk if you're ever in Atlanta and we'll trade for a day :D

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
If I had known the new Camaro would be this strong of a performer, I would've waited a year or so to pick up a used one and never even touched a 5.0. I'm all about performance and mod-friendliness, brand loyalty is pointless. Whoever can bring "it" to the table, well that's who's getting my money.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I don't trust GM to build a reliable sports car.When the stories of the motors failing on the new vettes were all over the Internet last year.That just confirmed my opinion that GM sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread