what would you buy, new 5.0 or SS

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
No, it doesnt.

Stop acting like its a hellcat versus a 2004 v6 mustang.

My bad thomas, you are right.

Here are some areas where the stang is better:

- Trunk space / grocery storage capabilities
- Back seat leg room
- Ergonomics
- Head room
- Visibility
- Cooler owners / most camaro guys are corny as ****
- Better website / SVTP, there is no equal

thehunterooo

Established Member
I think both offer a lot of options for potential buyers when it comes to performance and price. If you are looking for the cheapest way to get into the V8 the mustang will be the way to go especially if you do not want to pay for options/extras. But when you add the PP you get a bit closer to the 1SS base pricing. Might be worth the wait and test drive the Camaro to be sure on what you want.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Asking this question in a ford / mustang based website, full of biased people... Lol

With that said, go Mustang.

Sounds like you are just looking for good bang for the buck. If you were looking for the flat out superior car, you would go with the 16 SS. It shits on the mustang in every possible performance metric.

Bingo!

Id get the SS. Looks and performs better. The s550 looks awkward at best. What it has going for it is the nice interior, solid motor, and price.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I looked at the new Camaro last week. I thought it looked pretty nice. I still prefer the Mustang design over it. Funny enough when I stopped there was a guy was a black 15' Mustang GT there looking at it. I was curious as to why he was interested in it and he said it was much better. I refuted that statement with, not by much but it's not a bad looking/sounding car at all IMO. I just don't think the price of the SS is a bargain.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I just test drove a 2016 SS (2SS trim) on Monday. I had previously test drove a 2012 Camaro SS, so I pretty much remember it's pros and cons. After driving the 2016, I am very impressed with how much they've improved the Camaro. In large part because it's now built on the Alpha platform (Cadillac ATS and CTS). Quality, comfort, , handling, ergonomics, power, engineering, etc. are all improved. I had read Motor Trend's glowing report and had my doubts (in part) so I had to see for myself. Frankly, I'm amazed. That said, unless you've actually driven the new '16 Camaro SS, you really can't by objective based on the 2015 and earlier Camaro. They're very different all around. After my test drive I saw a 2016 parked next to a 2015 and the size difference is pretty noticeable. When the weather gets better I intend to take advantage of the local Chevy dealer's "24 hour test drive". You basically take the car for a test drive and bring it back in 24 hours. I wish every dealer (Ford included) would/could do this. A 24 hour test drive really helps evaluate the car thoroughly. So yeah, I've got to say I'm impressed at this point.

All that said, many will choose the 2016 Mustang because they prefer the new Mustang design. That is completely understandable. You either like the new Mustang styling or you don't. You either like the new Camaro styling or you don't. IMO it's nice that muscle car fans have two quality choices (three if you include the Challenger).

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
the SS is a better performer but good luck seeing out of it.

The only real solution is to buy the mustang and swap in the LT4. :poke: Then you get the best of both worlds.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Not a big fan of eithers styling. The Camaro has a large edge in performance(speed and handling). The mustang is more user friendly, the rear seat is all but unusable in the Camaro.

I choose neither.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Well, I just test drove a 2016 SS (2SS trim) on Monday. I had previously test drove a 2012 Camaro SS, so I pretty much remember it's pros and cons. After driving the 2016, I am very impressed with how much they've improved the Camaro. In large part because it's now built on the Alpha platform (Cadillac ATS and CTS). Quality, comfort, , handling, ergonomics, power, engineering, etc. are all improved. I had read Motor Trend's glowing report and had my doubts (in part) so I had to see for myself. Frankly, I'm amazed. That said, unless you've actually driven the new '16 Camaro SS, you really can't by objective based on the 2015 and earlier Camaro. They're very different all around. After my test drive I saw a 2016 parked next to a 2015 and the size difference is pretty noticeable. When the weather gets better I intend to take advantage of the local Chevy dealer's "24 hour test drive". You basically take the car for a test drive and bring it back in 24 hours. I wish every dealer (Ford included) would/could do this. A 24 hour test drive really helps evaluate the car thoroughly. So yeah, I've got to say I'm impressed at this point.

All that said, many will choose the 2016 Mustang because they prefer the new Mustang design. That is completely understandable. You either like the new Mustang styling or you don't. You either like the new Camaro styling or you don't. IMO it's nice that muscle car fans have two quality choices (three if you include the Challenger).

I've done many extended test drives. You just have to ask.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions ladies and gents. I just wanted to add a few things. I will not be modding the car past a few bolt-ons and I have to have a Manual...in the next 10 years there may not be manual sports cars anymore, gotta enjoy it while its here. and as far as looks go, I think both cars look great.

Rios302

Established Member
If it was my money I will most likely buy the Manual Mustang, equipped with 3.73, installed the GT350 Manifold which not only increases horsepower, it also raises the car's redline and you still have 5k left for the down payment. 7k is a big difference and gets you a lot of performance when it comes to bolt ons, however buying a 16 Camaro SS is also just as good.

http://www.svtperformance.com/2016/01/05/tech-shelby-gt350-intake-test/

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I looked at the new Camaro last week. I thought it looked pretty nice. I still prefer the Mustang design over it. Funny enough when I stopped there was a guy was a black 15' Mustang GT there looking at it. I was curious as to why he was interested in it and he said it was much better. I refuted that statement with, not by much but it's not a bad looking/sounding car at all IMO. I just don't think the price of the SS is a bargain.

I wouldve offered him a deal on his used '15 Mustang GT if he wants to drink the koolaid and drive the worst looking car produced yet by GM only to gain some ponies and a few tenths.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldve offered him a deal on his used '15 Mustang GT if he wants to drink the koolaid and drive the worst looking car produced yet by GM only to gain some ponies and a few tenths.

You say that as if the 15 gt wasnt "blessed" with the biggest forehead, weak chined looking front end. And further complimemted by that saggy, melted looking rear end.... Lmao.

If the 15 gt was human, this is him...

1399086250337.jpg

2015-Mustang-GT-First-Drive-0853-Featured-672x363.jpg

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
You say that as if the 15 gt wasnt "blessed" with the biggest forehead, weak chined looking front end. And further complimemted by that saggy, melted looking rear end.... Lmao.

1399086250337.jpg

Ahahaha, I think the Mustang looks way better than the new Camaro, but that's still funny as hell.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

1399086250337.jpg

Wat, you just described the look of every camaro owner, ever. Only thing he is missing is a mullett.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I've seen LT4 mentioned a few times in reference to the Camaro's powerplant. I'm pretty sure it's the LT1 that got put in the Camaro for this model run. LT4 is in the Z06.

earl lee

Established Member
OP you should wait and test drive the 16 SS then make a decision. This is something you shouldn't rush since your undecided. You can enjoy the funny banter in this thread though. Jokes for days.

Users who are viewing this thread