what would you buy, new 5.0 or SS

XtraTQ

Established Member
After driving the new Camaro when they came out and not being able to see a damn thing due to the poor visibility, I could never see myself owning one. That and I've never been a fan of the exterior...

BladeX10

Established Member
Must really suck being a Camaro owner and having to second guess everything you do on the road because you cant see jackshit. On top of that, They made the visibility EVEN WORSE on the 6th gen.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I do agree the 12' camaro SS i test drove had bad visibility, but the 16s are actually suppose to be better, and have a standard backup camera. A test drive will definitely be in order to assess the 16' SS visibility...but I am pretty interested in what that LT-1 can do.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
5.0, I think they look a lot better then the Camaro, and if you can save 7k, that would be enough to make up for any performance issues you may be worried about.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
If I had known the new Camaro would be this strong of a performer, I would've waited a year or so to pick up a used one and never even touched a 5.0. I'm all about performance and mod-friendliness, brand loyalty is pointless. Whoever can bring "it" to the table, well that's who's getting my money.

Preach it. We'll listen...

Dusten

Established Member
The SS will be the better performer stock, but for that $7K you could put the Mustang into the 650rwhp range.

I would wait before you buy anything and test drive the Camaro, my buddy put an order in for one after he test drove one but he is concerned the lack visibility will get to him.

That argument is only valid if paying cash for the vehicle. If he is financing it then your point is null.

2010+ GT500 far superior to both ....
unless you want things like a new car, or a warranty, or IRS.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
... unless you want things like a new car, or a warranty, or IRS.

I test drove a 15 GT a few months after they were out in force. It was well built, and fun to drive as all mustangs are. However, it honestly didnt feel that much better handling than the 2014 GT my dad bought off of me. Personal opinion of course, but for all the hoopla of IRS, it wasnt enough to remotely seal the deal for me. Additionally, if I did get the 2015 GT (same goes for the 5th and 6th gen Camaros), Id have to install new half shaft axles to handle upgraded power (blower/turbo/nitrous etc).

Price with options on the GT that I wanted had the car just over 4K less than a used 2011 GT500 (15k miles) before tax and fees. Needless to say I ended up with my 2011 and have zero regrets, even after everything ive been through with it. if a NEW car isnt manditory, shop around for something that has the power, features and looks you want. Even used cars can be purchased with extended warranties.

If not brand loyal, either car will be a blast to drive. But since Im a Ford guy Id say get the Mustang. Those Camaro guys are all terrible drivers, smell and must actively fight the growth of mullet hairs that are inherent to that car's ownership. Unless... you WANT a mullet... :dw:

Dusten

Established Member
I test drove a 15 GT a few months after they were out in force. It was well built, and fun to drive as all mustangs are. However, it honestly didnt feel that much better handling than the 2014 GT my dad bought off of me. Personal opinion of course, but for all the hoopla of IRS, it wasnt enough to remotely seal the deal for me. Additionally, if I did get the 2015 GT (same goes for the 5th and 6th gen Camaros), Id have to install new half shaft axles to handle upgraded power (blower/turbo/nitrous etc).

Price with options on the GT that I wanted had the car just over 4K less than a used 2011 GT500 (15k miles) before tax and fees. Needless to say I ended up with my 2011 and have zero regrets, even after everything ive been through with it. if a NEW car isnt manditory, shop around for something that has the power, features and looks you want. Even used cars can be purchased with extended warranties.

If not brand loyal, either car will be a blast to drive. But since Im a Ford guy Id say get the Mustang. Those Camaro guys are all terrible drivers, smell and must actively fight the growth of mullet hairs that are inherent to that car's ownership. Unless... you WANT a mullet... :dw:
Notice i said warranty. If you're modding for big power, the warranty and new car argument go away.

And the track times say the 15+ does handle that much better.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
I've owned a 2013 GT, and now a 2015 GT PP and tracked them both and can tell you with great confidence in stock form the GT PP blows away the 2013 GT I had with shocks/struts/springs/phb/tune/intake/etc. Mod the GT PP just a little and it's a world apart from any S197 car on the track.

I also test drove a 2014 1LE and ZL1 before making any decisions and after I did that it was an easy choice for me. IMO, if you don't go test drive them you're just blowing smoke out your ass. Go and drive the competition, sit in them, take them on a twisty bumpy road, play with the gadgets, THEN make comparisons.

That said I recently went and checked out some 2016 SS's and yes they perform, BUT they are far more of a compromise for DD and for a family (my wife is preggo with our 1st kid). This was a major issue for me when I drove the 2014's as well and not much changed honestly, they just got faster.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Wont deny its better, but unless you live at a track its all up to the prospective owner what they deem is enough or mandatory. At the end of the day, OP needs to decide what he wants, whats a priority and whats a would like to have.

Nothing wrong with a 2015-2016 S550 at all, but there are those out there (my self included) that didnt find the difference attractive enough for my intended purpose. Sides, everyone knows the S197 in GT500 form is the best looking. ;)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'd punch myself in the throat for buying a "new" pony car.

Go used, get your shits and giggles for cheap.

Sometimes its not that much cheaper, new gets you warranty and sometimes better financing deals.

Unless you are standard SVTP baller buying $25k cars in cash.

Zemedici

Established Member
Sometimes its not that much cheaper, new gets you warranty and sometimes better financing deals.

Unless you are standard SVTP baller buying $25k cars in cash.

This, so much.
Not to mention if someone ever wants to sell their 11-14 car, hope they like being paid chump change

And Lolololololol at blower swap on a 15 for 7k.

Half assed, self installed, junker maybe. To do things RIGHT will cost 10k+, and that's finding deals on parts.

Blower kit (6-9k depending on what you want)
Fuel (fuel pump booster, injectors)
Clutch
Exhaust
Install
Tune

7k? LOL

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This, so much.
Not to mention if someone ever wants to sell their 11-14 car, hope they like being paid chump change

And Lolololololol at blower swap on a 15 for 7k.

Half assed, self installed, junker maybe. To do things RIGHT will cost 10k+, and that's finding deals on parts.

Blower kit (6-9k depending on what you want)
Fuel (fuel pump booster, injectors)
Clutch
Exhaust
Install
Tune

7k? LOL

Procharger tuner kit is $5,800 alone (without fuel/tuning). $6,500 if you want the full turnkey kit. Not sure how long the stock clutch will hold that power, nor the stock tires be able to do much with it, nor will that whole system get the most without boltons. Yeah im sure youll beat a camaro with throwing a $6500 kit on top but not sure how long itll last....

SVTsupremecy

Established Member

those are some pretty nice numbers. I've wondered about what all it takes to run a 5.0 and the SS on e85. it cant just be a tune can it?? I dont really have any plans to make my next purchase to out of control. minor bolt ons and e85 sounds like my max.

edit- looks like just injectors for the 5.0s

Last edited:

Astenax

Established Member
Can a member please tell me were I can buy a new Whipple supercharger installed for my 2014 5.0 for $7000. I have read several comments on this thread that say i can, but the best I can find is $10000 installed minimum, with one year warranty. That's a Whipple installed by a Ford dealer! Please help with this, I live in south OC and i want to boost my Stang but i don't want to pay too much, thanks!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Can a member please tell me were I can buy a new Whipple supercharger installed for my 2014 5.0 for $7000. I have read several comments on this thread that say i can, but the best I can find is $10000 installed minimum, with one year warranty. That's a Whipple installed by a Ford dealer! Please help with this, I live in south OC and i want to boost my Stang but i don't want to pay too much, thanks!

Install it yourself and that would bring it down. Looks like the kit is $7k right on the screws so id assume most here are assuming its being installed DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread