Where do you go from here?

robvas

Established Member
I'm just rambling here. I guess I pretty much know the answer(s) but wanted to see what others train of thought was.

Let's say you have your average 03/04, blower swapped, you're making 575-625 at the tires on a pump gas tune...

Where do you go from here?

Pretty much any base blower kit Coyote or stock Hellcat is going to be as fast as you. And once they start upgrading their kit or adding some mods, it's bye-bye. Bolt-on 2018+ Mustangs are going to be hot on your tail. Sure, there's always someone faster, but what can you do?

E85. Sure, another 75-100hp. But most people are going to need pumps, injectors, a tuning device and a wideband (if you don't have them already), a pulley, and of course a tune and maybe some dyno time. Maybe $2,000 all said and done depending on what you have now?

Blower swap. Go up to a 2.9, 3.0. You're still going to need E85. So add another $4-6,000.

Turbo kit. This might be the ultimate way to go. So the cost of the blower swap, E85, plus throw in a K member and who knows what else. Lot's of potential here. Not trying to put $10,000+ into this car.

Weight reduction. How much can you really do? Lighter seats, bumper support, K member, drag pack, my AC works so I don't want to pull it....150lbs if you're lucky? Easily spend $3,000 here as well.

50 shot of N2O. $1,000 for the base kit then you have refills etc. And a retune I'm assuming. Have not had nitrous on a car in a long, long time.

Meth injection. This one is interesting. I've had meth before and don't mind it. It's cheap, lasts a long time... Kit, pulley + retune. However, in my experience the gain isn't as big as it would be compared to race gas or E85. And you have spray post-intercooler for best results.

Octane Booster. Sounds dumb, but if you do the math, and it's a weekend car, a bottle and a half a month...buy a case, you can get a lot of octane booster for the price of any of the other options. Still need a tune and pulley (and maybe O2 sensors every other year)

More mods. Headers? Not that expensive, but a pain to put in, and you'll want a K member. For what, 25-30hp? Camshafts? Expensive. 50hp?

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Sell it and buy a Coyote or Coyote swap it. If my engine blows it’s getting a TVS Gen 2/3 Coyote with a 6R80.

I’m at 670w…my next step up will be pricey and it may just get a Coyote anyway. Also, I rarely see anyone anyway on the road. The hobby is deader than Joe Biden.

Honestly, I’m into guns now…

LS WUT

Established Member
So as I’ve stated before, and I have many times. I’ve got a few “different” cars. Obviously I have slow cars, and some “fast” ones. I can assure you I have the most fun in my foxbody, and my black coupe. It’s so much fun, and raw. I’ll be getting a whipple here soon :) so I’ll be back where I was before with my Redfire.

Just enjoy the car man, I promise it’s not gonna be any better. I make the same argument for classics. Is a stock unmolested 1969 mustang worth north of $100k? Some didn’t even have power steering, and such. However it’s about nostalgia. It’s about what you wanted when you collisions have it yet.

I tell you what, if you’re ever in my neck of the woods come on over and take my GT500 or hellcat for a rip. Then drive one of my cobras back to back. I bet you choose it everytime.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what do you actually do with the car though?

if it's mainly a cruiser and you like to lay into it from time to time I think you've got a great power level for the street. if you go to the track or Mexico on a regular basis maybe that changes things.

I kind of agree on the coyote swap, if anything happens to my motor and I dont sell the car it would probably get a coyote and 6r80

01yellercobra

Established Member
You should have the tuning device and wideband from the initial blower swap. So IMO that's a moot point.

As for everything else, I just enjoy what I have. I've been beat by a newer GT500 and Terminator swapped fox. I posted the videos and laughed with everyone else. Then I drove my car and enjoyed it.

There's always someone with a faster, cleaner, lower, etc. car. Build what you want and don't care what others think.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
What do you do with your car? Do you just cruise around and go to car shows, or do you hit up Mexico on the weekends and want to maybe win once in awhile? If it's the latter, here is what I would do. Go to e85 without a doubt, so invest in a fuel system. Why stop at a 50 shot? I had a 200 shot on my car back in 2005. I would do a 150 shot and also install a standalone ECU to control all the engine, ignition and nitrous functions. With the standalone, you will have much more of a safety factor when spraying and you can also run some Bosch 210 injectors on the cheap. Being or going fast isn't cheap, no matter the platform.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
It’s your car and your money, it depends on what you want the car for. While racing and showing are opposite ends of the spectrum usually, you can do both if you want. Dedicated race cars are fun but you lose out on cruising. I think you are already at the best power level for cruising

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I was in the exact same spot you were in about 4-5 years ago. Have a KB 2.2 making 600 rwhp on 93. I'm like, car is fun to drive but not that fast compared to newer cars anymore.

So.....I swapped to a Whipple 3.4 then to a 3.0. Fuel system, cams, stand alone, flex fuel. Now the car makes 900+ rwhp and drives like a kitten when I take it to go get ice cream lol. Stupid fast when you want to and looks 100% stock except for a light bar and a couple of pillar gauges.

Now that I'm satisfied with the car (no more modifications because of the low build number) I will take a year or so break from the car hobby to enjoy the darn thing, and focus attention to a few other hobbies (antiques, home theater, RC cars, maybe a little off roading). If I feel like I want to continue the hobby (build and tune something) I'll start looking for that next project. A Coyote swap SN95 sounds cool, maybe go back to my roots and build a fun 2V (high compression, NA, ect), possibly some type of import.

I have enjoyed the last 25 years in the car hobby, I am at piece now that my builds done, and am excited about what the next 20 years holds for me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Newer shit might be getting faster, but it'll never be a Terminator. Take solace in that and enjoy the car if it's well sorted. My .02
I have to agree with you. I haven't had my '03 Cobra in MANY years, but I still remember the thrill whenever I took it out for a drive. Not so much from racing, because I really did little of that, but from the rawness of the platform and the thrill of rowing the gears, enjoying the torque, and listening to the blower whine. And that was with a setup making "only" 504whp and 494wtq. I just plain enjoyed the car as it was set up, and never had plans to push beyond ported-Eaton power.

Rob, I know that many just yearn for more power/torque for a number of differing reasons, but my advice (unless you plan to race it a lot) is to enjoy what you have. Maybe add headers (I know it's a pain to install for a minimal power gain) for the additional 20-25 ponies AND the enhanced sound. JMO.

LS WUT

Established Member
Well I guess my question to you is. Do you actually race, like track? Or do you “street race” ? Or do you just do the occasional pulls in the street?

Rambro

Established Member
Is a basic boosted coyote on 93 really going to walk away from your average, proper cobra with a blower upgrade on 93? I don’t think so, maybe the 10 speed cars. E85 is definitely worth it on these cars. I’d bite the bullet and do a fuel system. Then if that’s not fast enough, and you don’t want to invest in a built motor, trans, solid axle swap, aftermarket ecu, then just sell it and get out of the game. In the end I think the 03/04 still punches above it’s weight class. Even with an iron block, blower, and IRS, they’re still lighter than the coyote cars.

Users who are viewing this thread