Which power adder?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
What are your goals? Drag racing? Road racing? Do you want to keep stock converter or go aftermarket?

Blazer is right. I love my TVS because it is perfect for ME. What are YOU looking to do with yours. Autos with paxtons are very simple timeslips. And the TQ booster does help I'm sure. If you decide on a PD blower, buy decent drag radials too. I've been driving on drag radials for 2 years now, so I'm used to having traction with a PD blower, but if all you're going to run is street tires then its going to turn them easily. That's why centri guys like the way their boost comes on.

My suggestion would be wait until you can drive/ride in both. I know that's not always an option though, so if not def do a search because this topic has been covered a BILLION times.

scotmach

Established Member
I've owned many different forms of superchargers in the past but if I ever go F/I again it will be turbo.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
If you want to go fast, you buy a supercharger. If you want to go faster, you buy a turbo.

BrianH87

Established Member
I don't think there's much debate as to the turbo being the ultimate form of forced induction. The problem is 1. it's not as easy to bolt on a turbo kit in your driveway. 2. It costs much more overall. 3. There are more components to go wrong (Wastegate, Boost controllers, BOV's, etc...) 4. Centri and TVS cars make plenty of power for less. More than enough to window the block. Only a few guys have actually maxed out their superchargers. So I guess for most, a turbo isn't warranted.

CPRsm

I guess it depends how you look at it. A Paxton w all the bells and whistles can have more parts to fail if you include the belts or idlers. PD blow also have a belt, idlers, and bypass valve. The headers on our kits are MUCH easier to install than any header out there.
Making power for less is just a misnomer for the biggest part. It's really only cheaper if you look at initial cost, and nothing else.

All these CPR turbo threads got me to doing the math on what I spent on my paxton setup. Between the paxton, jlt cold air, long tubes and orx, bmr kmember and rad. support, 50mm bov and torque booster kit I have $8500 in it give or take. I could have easily bought a CPR kit, live and learn I guess.

Same goes for a TVS if you add headers, kmember, tubular core support, mid pipe, CAI, etc.

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
Who did you speak with? Please give me a call and let's discuss as that is not correct.
321 206-9369 x 112

The tune will likely be dead nuts on. But, when you buy DIRECT from us you are buying support as well.

BJ
I will go back and look at my notes but I am pretty sure I talked to you. I didn't believe your answer so I remember asking twice.

stags

Established Member
Not to steal the thunder or try to divert your thread OP, but have you considered an NA build? Just sayin, a coyote well built around a Boss or CJ manifold can be a beast too ;)

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Decide what your looking to do.

We can help you with anything your looking for. Centri, TVS, or Turbo.

THat said, huge Paxton fans on these cars, great bang for the buck and tons of growing potential. You can be in a kit complete with custom tune for under $5200. You'll also have tons of growing potential!

As far as Torque decimating all. We were .3 tenths off the quickest turbo coyote this weekend, 300lbs heavier with 300+ less ft / lbs of torque. Not too shabby IMO

scholle

Established Member
The OP didn't ask about a race car.
Being that the OP has owned and liked the other PD blower cars he's owned it's probably safe to say a TVS wil suit his needs well.
I'd say go with the VMP setup because it's the most complete with upgraded exchanger, intake and blower housing over the standard roush.

junglerc

Established Member
I recently installed a Paton kit on my car, and all I can say is.......

belts are for pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I 've had nothing but trouble with belts. If you can afford turbo, go turbo!

helli217

Established Member
OP post about new Vert. Asks for input on a STREETABLE power-adder. Turns into Bowling Green/Centri/Screw/Racecar circle jerk.

OP, I'm considering a blower, possibly centri. I have an MT-82 car, and I would like some streetable power that I can use at the track. I'm thinking the more gradual ramp up may be easier to drive on some sticky street tires, as I don't want to run DR's all the time. Also, I have owned some higher powered Twin screw and turbo setups before, so this would be something new for me.

Seems there are happy people with both the Vortech and Paxton kits. Good luck with whatever you decide.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
OP post about new Vert. Asks for input on a STREETABLE power-adder. Turns into Bowling Green/Centri/Screw/Racecar circle jerk.

OP, I'm considering a blower, possibly centri. I have an MT-82 car, and I would like some streetable power that I can use at the track. I'm thinking the more gradual ramp up may be easier to drive on some sticky street tires, as I don't want to run DR's all the time. Also, I have owned some higher powered Twin screw and turbo setups before, so this would be something new for me.

Seems there are happy people with both the Vortech and Paxton kits. Good luck with whatever you decide.

That's the nice thing, very useable, controllable power

Works great on the street or track

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Centri and auto works well because the torque converter can keep the car in higher boost but a stick shift and centri isn't really an ideal combo, at least in my opinion. As soon as you reach max boost in a stick car, it's time to shift and then you're back down to lower power/lower torque while the RPMs have to climb again.

TVS and stick cars work well since the boost comes on instantaneously but I don't recall ever seeing a respectable centri+stick car in the 2011+ variety. I'm sure they're out there, but I have yet to see one.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Major clean up.
None of the racing/Bowling Green history is needed. Complete hyjack to the OPs thread.
And a few infractions issued as well.

Please don't make me return

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
is a TVS any harder on the motor than a centri? or is it basically the same?

Any power adder that makes boost or power instantly will be the hardest on a motor. That's why ~650whp is about the limit of a TVS car but a turbo car can make 700+ and still survive.

There's more to it than that, but those are the basics.

Angry50

Established Member
my goal would be 600+whp with the least amount of mods but still reasonably safe. I like the idea of instant power. so far it seems oil pump gears would be main precautionary replacement part.

Users who are viewing this thread