WHIPPLE vs. TVS: A factual blower compare

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Jake (Badass03svt) ran a new PB in his VMP TVS 2.3 powered 03 Cobra today.
He ran a 8.95 @ 152.23 with a 1.301 60'
Congrats to Jake!!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well I didn't get numbers yet and if I'm lucky my wife will let me run 1/8th mile Wednesday night before I leave for 4 days at NMRA lol. Running once before the event would be nice.

MikesCobra

Established Member
Okay, maybe I missed something, but the dyno numbers in the first post look like the 2.3 Whipple and the 2.3 TVS both make somewhere between 580-610rwhp with comparable boost--close enough to be within the realm of engine or dyno variation. I've scanned the entire thread and don't understand what the big differences are between the Whipple and the TVS. It kind of seems like which ever one is cheaper is the one to get. Not trying to stir the pot, just looking for some clear info.

Thats just it, that is exactly what I looked to compare and found. Apples to Apples, when you put both same size blowers to the test with similar set ups, the power difference is very similar plus or minus some power depending on motor condition, dyno type and accuracy, and other factors such as weather and heck even traction on the rollers. The simple desire to want to dig deeper between the two other then the typical sales jargon below is what has got me into hot water with VMP guys and their arrogance only further proves my point. One may come standard with a monster inlet and one may not sure that is a major price difference, but in no way does that indicate that one will always make more power over the other, this thread is meant to get real feedback by owners of both, not sales pitching and or biased feed back from the owners who have been given blowers half off to rep a sticker and of course show alliance.

Both blowers can support up to and over 600-700 hp, but thats not what I am looking for, I am not looking for which blower is better because it makes 1 more HP then the next, I am talking drivability, reliability, warranty, factual track numbers, customer and tech support. Heck there are stock eaton cobras running 1/4th times just as fast as both upgradable blowers, but this is the kind of place if you dare ask an intelligent question deeper then the hype of sales pitch and dare not drink the cool-aid like most, and actually care to find the best setup for your individual needs, you are attacked. At the end of the day it only hurts the wallet of said people.....

My TVS blower is designed to be very capable and upgradeable when you want more power. We are the only blower Co. to make a monster inlet strandard, and we support four different throttle body styles if you want to re-use existing parts. We also have our own TB that is good for 700+.

As you pointed out, most people only make around 600rwhp with any of the common blower upgrades, but for those that want more, now or later, the TVS will do it.

Ive heard feedback about the large bore gt500 throttle body you sell on a tvs cobra (the pumpkin) which has almost destroyed the drivability of the car. But hey, thats not important. My choice has been made.

End of thread:bash::pop:

bad93svt

Established Member
^^^mike...the pumpkin is 100% come and watch senkak & I race tommorrow night...
I actually discovered I had a vacuum leak..which was causing a high idle..Justin discovered it and fixed it.
All is good..drivability is perfect...

MikesCobra

Established Member
^^^mike...the pumpkin is 100% come and watch senkak & I race tommorrow night...
I actually discovered I had a vacuum leak..which was causing a high idle..Justin discovered it and fixed it.
All is good..drivability is perfect...

Now thats good feedback. what gains have you noticed with the addition of the TB ?

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
My TVS .... E-85 feed, 22 psi / stock block - never had a valve cover off

TimVMP750.jpg

Shakedown run .... Stock t56 (10-spline) / IRS with only a brace / 3850# with me!!

20131012_171312.jpg

20131012_114856.jpg

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Ive heard feedback about the large bore gt500 throttle body you sell on a tvs cobra (the pumpkin) which has almost destroyed the drivability of the car. But hey, thats not important. My choice has been made.

End of thread:bash::pop:

....Actually my Cobra drives MUCH better with the new GT500 TB (over my old Accufab TB) ... Cruise control is also PERFECT with the new GT500 TB if that helps!

black-plasma

Established Member

TimVMP750.jpg

Shakedown run .... Stock t56 (10-spline) / IRS with only a brace / 3850# with me!!

20131012_171312.jpg

20131012_114856.jpg

We have almost identical setups (except I have a 2.3 Whipple) and you have about 50rwhp and 3mph on me. So I'd say the TVS makes more power apples to apples, but not enough for me to justify changing. Just get that 60' down and you'll have me beat in ET as well.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
We have almost identical setups (except I have a 2.3 Whipple) and you have about 50rwhp and 3mph on me. So I'd say the TVS makes more power apples to apples, but not enough for me to justify changing. Just get that 60' down and you'll have me beat in ET as well.

I had to come out soft / shift soft because of the 10-spline t56 & stock IRS .... Just ordered the Magnum T56 15 minutes ago & I'm building a SRA currently in my garage!!

Plus at 3850# ... I need to lose a few lbs!!!!!:D

black-plasma

Established Member
I had to come out soft / shift soft because of the 10-spline t56 & stock IRS .... Just ordered the Magnum T56 15 minutes ago & I'm building a SRA currently in my garage!!

Plus at 3850# ... I need to lose a few lbs!!!!!:D

I don't blame you, lol. What all is involved with switching to a Magnum? I may consider that at some point, since an auto is not an option.

MikesCobra

Established Member

TimVMP750.jpg

20131012_171312.jpg

20131012_114856.jpg

Thank you for the above, thats some quality power for the price. I def like the TVS just as stated at the beginning of this thread. Just searching for how to make the decision between the two. :??:

black-plasma

Established Member
Thank you for the above, thats some quality power for the price. I def like the TVS just as stated at the beginning of this thread. Just searching for how to make the decision between the two. :??:

Buy my Whipple for an above average price so I can justify getting a TVS :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread