why is everyone scared of miles?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have a "toy" right now, but when I do I am guilty of leaving it in the garage more than driving it. With my last GT500 I only wanted to drive it when the weather was perfect for driving it, always kept it clean, and hated putting miles on it. I think for me it's just one of those things that I want to keep it as perfect as possible. With my other vehicles I couldn't care less, I've had my S3 for 5 months now and it has a little over 10,000 miles, I've put 35,000 miles on my truck in 2 years. They're both lucky to get cleaned more than once every few months too.

My last GT500 didn't even get 10,000 miles put on it in 2.5 years, and got washed every week whether it needed it or not.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Why is everyone scared of miles? Because there are 5,280 feet in a miles. You should be afraid of 5,280 of anything. You ever count to 5,280? It takes freaking forever, and if you're in the high 4,000-range and the phone rings and it's your brother in law wanting to borrow $100.00 to buy your sister a bowling ball for their anniversary, and you go back to your counting and realize you forgot where you were ... well, it's a darned unpleasant evening, let me just tell you!

VA-Mach1

Established Member
My Mach 1 has a little over 150K. I drive it every day. Not because I have, I want to because I enjoy doing so. It is not a investment. Cars are a poor investment. I do appreciate a low mileage car, but it's not for me.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm in the market for a low mileage 86 mustang, it's probably only going to see a couple thousand miles a year if that, but i'll be paying cash so i'll also consider it an investment. No way I could make car payments on a car and have it sit.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
My 19 month old MT-82 2014 GT has over 43K miles on it and I have enjoyed every mile of it. Regular 3k maintenance, and long commute to work cruising around 2.5k rpm, and my biggest headache with it has been SYNC. Still smells brand new inside.

Dusten

Established Member
so why is it that everyone is scared of miles or scared to put miles on their car? I will never understand this at all, I always see terminators or machs mustangs ect. with stupid low miles on them up for sale and they typically have a good amount of mods done to them. why not enjoy the cars and drive them? not like they are a some ultra rare muscle car worth 100k. I bought my mach with 104k on it with no worries after test driving it and checking it over, and ive done many upgrades to it and i drive it as much as I can, i also maintain it very well, which brings my next point up, if a vehicle is properly maintained mileage will not be an issue. Just wondering what some opinions are of this topic, I always love the classic ad, willing to trade for another low mileage car. I assume people think these low mileage cars make them worth THOUSANDS more than a similar car with average miles? I agree that they will be worth an average amount more than a higher mileage car but some prices are just ridiculous and banks typically only give loans for vehicles 7 years of age or newer. Sorry if this tunred into a rant and maybe it should be moved idk but this has been on my mind as of lately, knowing maybe in a year or two i'll be dealing with idiots trying to low ball me on my mach cuz of the miles and me wanting another Cobra will most likely endure this nonsense :shrug:
I have a daily driver, a family car, 4 toys in the garage. It's hard to rack up the miles... 13000 on my lightning in 5.5 years, 5k on my cobra in 5 years, 1000 on my 68 since the restoration was done last year. .

Dusten

Established Member
So you can afford to pay hundreds of dollars each month (for a payment/insurance) for a car to just sit collecting dust, but you can't afford an additional 20-30 bux a month to actually enjoy the car.

Interesting logic.
My insurance on all 4 toys is less than 1000 a year, all 4 are paid for. Why make payments on a toy?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have just over 10K miles on my '14 Mini Cooper S. Took delivery in late March of 2014. So I've had it for 18 months = 555 miles per month. In my case it isn't that I hate mileage. I don't drive it in the winter months much and don't do much long distance driving. I also work two miles from our home. That all adds up to lesser than average mileage per year. When I had my '03 Cobra, I averaged around 500 miles per month for the same reasons.

Zemedici

Established Member
Why is everyone scared of miles? Because there are 5,280 feet in a miles. You should be afraid of 5,280 of anything. You ever count to 5,280? It takes freaking forever, and if you're in the high 4,000-range and the phone rings and it's your brother in law wanting to borrow $100.00 to buy your sister a bowling ball for their anniversary, and you go back to your counting and realize you forgot where you were ... well, it's a darned unpleasant evening, let me just tell you!

lost. my. shit. hahahahahahaha

I like the terminator sale ads that have," Never been abused or beat" All terminators have been driven hard LOL

what the **** does that have to do with anything?

I like Orange juice, so?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
So you can afford to pay hundreds of dollars each month (for a payment/insurance) for a car to just sit collecting dust, but you can't afford an additional 20-30 bux a month to actually enjoy the car.

Interesting logic.

Ding ding ding

At one point I had 3 mustangs at the same time.

And I drove the ****ing shit out of all of them.

pullin_hard

Established Member
529a736f1605fb210e00000d.jpg

lol just messing with you, but I read this and thats the first pic that came to mind.

Lmao. This just made my day.

LS2GTO

Established Member
My insurance on all 4 toys is less than 1000 a year, all 4 are paid for. Why make payments on a toy?

Fair enough, not everyone likes paying interest and would rather pay a big sum of cash up front.

However my comment still stands. Pay $20,000 cash for a toy just to have it sit collecting dust but can't afford $20-$30 a month for maintenance so you can drive the thing and enjoy it.

Interesting logic.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
It's a matter of convenience for me. In order to get the Cobra or Fox out I have to play 10 minutes of musical cars and currently a trailer.

It's simply more convenient to hop in my DD and drive. Musical cars at 530 am is not as fun as it sounds. It also helps that my DD pays for itself in fuel savings. I average around 30k miles a year with the bulk of that on my DD. It can actually make a trip without filling up every 3 hours...

Coiled03

Established Member
It's a matter of convenience for me. In order to get the Cobra or Fox out I have to play 10 minutes of musical cars and currently a trailer.

It's simply more convenient to hop in my DD and drive. Musical cars at 530 am is not as fun as it sounds.

I have this issue, as well.

Also, I don't live where my Cobra is stored, which is a whole different problem. Don't ask....

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I have this issue, as well.

Also, I don't live where my Cobra is stored, which is a whole different problem. Don't ask....
I'll be fixing my issue in the next year with land and a shop. For now I'm stuck with the 2 car garage and vehicles everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread