why is everyone scared of miles?

LS2GTO

Established Member
For me : lower mileage = higher resale value

So you buy your cars with the intention of getting the most out of your future resale and not to necessarily enjoy them?

Nothing wrong with that I suppose if you consider cars to be an investment.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm just not following a lot of the reasons in here for why not driving a car makes sense. :shrug: Then again, I don't follow the reasoning of stanced cars either, so carry on.

jbs$

Established Member
So you buy your cars with the intention of getting the most out of your future resale and not to necessarily enjoy them?

Have you looked at the value difference between a five year old car with 30,000 miles and one with 48,000? Not much in dollars but a heap of difference in to pleasure of owing the car.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Have you at the value difference between a five year old car with 30,000 miles and one with 48,000? Not much in dollars but a heap of difference in to pleasure of owing the car.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I wouldn't lose sleep at night if my 5.0 has 75K miles instead of the 50K it has now.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
A few reasons for me.....

1. I have a life outside of my car
2. I only want to be in my car when the top can be down ( May - Oct here in new england )
3. I enjoy keeping the car in above average condition - - my interior still smells like the factory. Does yours??
4. I am in it for the long haul - I am never going to sell this car.

and LOL @ the guy talking about in insurance. $375 a year + $80 for the vanity plate is what it costs me to keep it on the road.

Probably the biggest thing for me, is I still get legitatmately excited every time I drive it. Putting 25k miles a year on a car would ruin the fun, it would get old for me.

Zemedici

Established Member

2. I only want to be in my car when the top can be down ( May - Oct here in new england )
3. I enjoy keeping the car in above average condition - - my interior still smells like the factory. Does yours??

and LOL @ the guy talking about in insurance. $375 a year + $80 for the vanity plate is what it costs me to keep it on the road.

Probably the biggest thing for me, is I still get legitatmately excited every time I drive it. Putting 25k miles a year on a car would ruin the fun, it would get old for me.

That it does. I was over my cobra 6 months into it, and I'm starting to get over my 15 already. Put 40k on the cobra in 18 months, and put 3k on the 15 in a month.

Coiled03

Established Member
That it does. I was over my cobra 6 months into it, and I'm starting to get over my 15 already. Put 40k on the cobra in 18 months, and put 3k on the 15 in a month.

I'm just about over cars, in general, I think. Probably about time to start putting money into things that appreciate in value, or at the worst, are close to neutral.

blackvette101

Established Member
Unfortunately sometimes their isn't time to drive the cars you love but can't bring yourself to get rid of. Especially if you work 55+ hours a week. Also if the car is paid off and you have limited use insurance the costs of ownership are next to nothing.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Another good reason I have for not daily driving my Mustang.

If I bring it to work (I work in an industrial area with hundreds of trucks in/out daily and fabrication shops all over) my car will have layers of saw dust, dirt, pollen and other things after 10 hours of sitting outside. I work a lot of hours and take very minimal time off, so, dedicating hours to clean the car is hard to come by. My explorer, which I daily, is easier to maintain and I don't feel obligated to put hours into keeping it clean since it is not a show-car. It's a nice car and it is meticulously maintained mechanically and I do try to wash it once a month and do a full wash/detail/vacuum/carpet clean/etc.

I've put 1,000 miles on my Mustang this year and I will probably put maybe 400-500 more and it's done. Now that I have the ability to afford a daily and a mustang, I enjoy my Mustang for what it is and don't want to drive it into the ground like the previous 4 mustangs I've had.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I drive the shit out of everything I own. (mileage wise, not beating them.)

I do however try to buy something with "mid range" miles. Just enough that its not a garage queen, but low enough to not have any issues. Then I drive it as much as I want. I just bought a SHO with 106k miles, but it was so cheap and in great condition that it was too easy to trade the boring ol' Focus for it.

If I bought a showroom mint GT500/350 or something similar I'd cringe a little at putting high miles on it, but then I'd just keep it longer and get all of my enjoyment out of it.

Dusten

Established Member
Fair enough, not everyone likes paying interest and would rather pay a big sum of cash up front.

However my comment still stands. Pay $20,000 cash for a toy just to have it sit collecting dust but can't afford $20-$30 a month for maintenance so you can drive the thing and enjoy it.

Interesting logic.

You're thought train is very closed. Me for example, 3 kids. So, if i want to do anything with entire family, either we take two toys, or leave them home. Two of the 4 rigs can't even fit me and the kids. You really aren't given thought to each person's unique situation.

Who's to say what constitutes enjoyment? I take a lot of enjoyment in just going out to my shop, looking at my cars, modifying them, and maintaining them. Car ownership and this hobby is more than just puttting 100000 miles on your cars. It's about the people, sharing commonalities, and much more.

Plus, some of us intend to pass these rigs down. Each of my kids has a car chosen from the collection. I'd rather not pass down a beat to shit 300,000 mile turd.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

I dunno. I put 20k a year on my Lightning and still loved it. Only when issues came up from me modding it too far was when I lost the passion for it

Franco

Established Member

My sentiments exactly

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I've put 15k on my Terminator in 4 years, including:

Driving back to Pittsburgh from San Antonio where I bought it
To Grand Rapids, MI
To Hamilton, ON
To Washington D.C.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the car, and it seems to have more issues with running right when it just sits. It has 76k right now and I'm not stopping anytime soon!

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm just about over cars, in general, I think. Probably about time to start putting money into things that appreciate in value, or at the worst, are close to neutral.

I dunno. I put 20k a year on my Lightning and still loved it. Only when issues came up from me modding it too far was when I lost the passion for it

I was just talking about this, think I may make a transition into sportbikes for a bit, at least they don't tank in value like a car does. Even if they drop a considerable amount, what's that in motorcycle terms, 3k? hahaha I'll take it.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
1) Not everyone enjoys the hobby the same way.
2) You don't know everyone's circumstances.
3) See #1 and #2.

Sums it up pretty well.

1 - I enjoy having my car, I don't drive it much but I still like having it.

2 - If I could drive my car more I would but it gets bumped to the back of the line behind: Family, House, Hunting, and Golf. If there is anytime left after that, then I will drive it.

People tell me its a waste....well, I paid for it.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member

This for sure. If I drove it much more I would probably get bored with it and just sale it.

jbs$

Established Member
In an earlier post I commented on "garage queens". There is a difference from driving your car 3 - 500 miles per month and the guys who put 150 miles per year on them. It is the latter that I don't understand, unless it is a true classic, why are you wasting your money just to hand the next owner a pristine car?

Users who are viewing this thread