05 COBRA what do want under the HOOD? POLL!!!

WHAT ENGINE SHOULD BE PUT UNDER THE HOOD OF THE 2005 COBRA?

• Current 03 Cobra engine with small power increase 400hp?

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • The newly developed 2005 GT Engine N/A 400hp?

Votes: 78 9.2%
  • THE GT40 engine with 500hp?

Votes: 287 34.0%
  • 2000 COBRA R 5.4 DOHC With BLOWER?

Votes: 419 49.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
With Ford having a 6.2 "big block" motor in the works, with a lower deck height then a 5.4, its going to get really interesting. The motor is supposed to trounce EVERY motor from GM, Dodge, and Nissan in the truck market, enough so that the current designs cant be reworked to catch it. Would be interesting if the crown vic replacement based on the 427concept using the dew-lite (mustang) platform gets it.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0405/27/b01-165355.htm

Last edited:

HarrySaccs

Established Member
From the rumors I here, The engine that will be used is going to be the 5.0 cammer s/c, or the 5.4 dohc s/c. I hope forn the cammer personally.:thumbsup:

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble here but this poll is pointless and here's why: There WILL BE NO 2005 Cobra!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Originally posted by Kovachian
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble here but this poll is pointless and here's why: There WILL BE NO 2005 Cobra!

Uuhhhh,..... We all know that, it's the '06 :bored:

Whiskey City

Established Member
The SVT is scheduled to be avaliable to the public in the Fall of 2006 as a 2007 model...oh the waiting, the long, lonely waiting...:(

kn7671

Established Member
I think the best option for the new Cobra would be the 5.4L engine in NA form, no blower. The 5.4L by itself done right could make close to 375hp with about 350tq. The top-end Mustang needs a shot of torque to do it justice.

The reason I say no blower, is Ford is not stupid enough to shoot themselves in their foot, only to place a blower on a 5.4L and throw it into the Cobra, or whatever they call it for '06, when the have the exact same engine in the Ford GT costing over $120k... Think you would lose sales to the Mustang SVT or the Ford GT...?

For reference, my last Mustang made 317hp with 342tq on the chassis dyno at the wheels with a stock 5.0L short block, e-cam, cobra intake port matched to edelbrock heads, and the heads matched to the exhaust headers, 1.7 roller rockers, managed by an Accel DFI running it on 24lb injectors with a 70mm throttle body, no cats on 2.5" full exhaust. It ran 13.4's all day on street tires at 106mph behind a T-5 with 3.55 gears.

Now, I see no reason why a new Cobra/Mustang with a NA 5.4L 3V engine could not make the power above, plus some, with the ability to kick out high 12's to low 13's on street tires. Forget the blower stuff, leave that to aftermarket and keep the price reasonable.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
A 375hp naturally aspirated SVT Cobra? Ya right, who is their F'N mind would buy something like that, and have turbo 4 cylinders eating it up for breakfast? Glad you don’t work for Ford.

Whiskey City

Established Member
5.4L,4V, Blown. That's what's going to be in it. Although it will be similar to the GT engine, (same displacement, same # of valves/cylinder, etc) it won't be the same engine. Different blower, cast iron block, lower compression, yadda, yadda, yadda. Probably just a tad over 400-hp.

Good times.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by KLN TME TIL 07
5.4L,4V, Blown. That's what's going to be in it. Although it will be similar to the GT engine, (same displacement, same # of valves/cylinder, etc) it won't be the same engine. Different blower, cast iron block, lower compression, yadda, yadda, yadda. Probably just a tad over 400-hp.

Good times.

KT, I have heard similar info (from a few leaky places). I have also heard that there will be a GT350 version with the 4v 4.6. Have you heard this as well, or just that there will be one powerplant?
By the way, they dumped the V2 engine I referred to earlier. Seems that the 27" Wheels kept bowing under the torque... :-D

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by KLN TME TIL 07

Good times.

KT, I have heard similar info (from a few leaky places). I have also heard that there will be a GT350 version with the 4v 4.6. Have you heard this as well, or just that there will be one powerplant?
By the way, they dumped the V2 engine I referred to earlier. Seems that the 27" Wheels kept bowing under the torque... :-D

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Prefer V 10, forced induction. Expect V8 mod motor, 5.0 liter 4 valve, supercharged. As long as forged internals, 450+ at rear wheel stock, can modify for 550 RWHP. If not will keep my 2003 Cobra and just keep modding. Add KB?

Whiskey City

Established Member
I have also heard that there will be a GT350 version with the 4v 4.6. Have you heard this as well, or just that there will be one powerplant?

All the documents I have read only talk about the Cobra with the 5.4 4V S/C engine. The Mustang (low line) gets the 4.0L V6 and the GT gets the 4.6L N/A V8. Any and all rumors I've heard about GT350/GT500 have come from boards like this and a couple of car mags. It looks to me like the 4.6L S/C "Terminator" is going buh-bye.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
It needs to have at least 450hp. Gotta keep up with the Z06s in stock form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread