32V Twin Turbo 5.4L Project - Pics and Commentary

ShockTherapy

Established Member
FYI for anyone thinking about doing this swap.

The stock NAVI has a 6 rib harmonic balancer and thin idler pulleys. The Lightning has an 8 rib setup. I realized this when I went to put the NAVI tensioner assembly on the NAVI front cover using my original Lightning idler. The idler hit the front cover. When comparing the 2 tensioner assemblies where the idler pulley mounts to it, the Lightning one is machined a little different to allow for the pulley to be spaced away from the front cover more. I used my original Lightning tensioner/idler assy and it fits fine.

Also, the 2 idler pulleys on the NAVI are for a 6 rib belt and are too thin for an 8 rib belt. The Lightning idlers hit the front cover when you try to bolt them on. I got a washer that exactly fit the backside of the idler, and drilled the center so it would fit over the mounting pad on the front cover. That worked fine. Now I am back to being able to use my 8 rib setup. You could swap the AC, PS pump, and alternator pulleys to a 6 rib setup if you didn't want to adapt the OEM Lightning parts, but the way I did it seemed much easier.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
Here are a few new pics.

on_da_picker.jpg

dropping_in_1.jpg

dropping_in_2.jpg

dropping_in_3.jpg

dropping_in_4.jpg

And after that it came back out. :( I learned the hard way the Navigator oil pan won't work in an F150. That's what I get for assuming the pans were the same. It wouldn't have been so bad, but my turbo guy had already welded two -10 AN bungs in the NAVI pan for my turbo drainbacks. I have another pan but have to wait on him to put the bungs in it before I can drop the engine back in. I was pretty bummed when I realized the pan wasn't going to work. Hopefully I can get bungs welded into the other pan ASAP on Tuesday and get it dropped back in Tuesday afternoon.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sucks about the oil pan, nice progress either way :rockon: looks killer

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
shocker_yo.jpg

I think I just noticed something. Does "ShockTherapy" have anything to do with "The Shocker"? I always thought it had something to do with the Lightning, but I may have guessed wrong.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
sharkbite1979 said:
I think I just noticed something. Does "ShockTherapy" have anything to do with "The Shocker"? I always thought it had something to do with the Lightning, but I may have guessed wrong.

lmao...ShockTherapy is definitely a Lightning derived screen name. When I was taking those pics, I figured a little reflecto-sign of "The Shocker" would be a nice touch. :rockon: I was wondering how many people would notice it.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
Finally, all nestled in after getting the correct oil pan on the engine. Sorry for the crummy pics. Too bad I didn't have my camera today when my wife was standing in the engine compartment wrenching on it.

engine_in.jpg

engine_in_with_belt_on_high.jpg

engine_in_two_trucks.jpg

Last edited:

BT2001SVT

I'm an Agent of CHAOS!!
Established Member
OMFG , it just keeps getting better :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

The anticpation is killing me, I can't waite to see what kind of numbers and times she's gonna put down. You continually raise the bar, absolutley increadible :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Hey Shock, i got a buddy building a 5.4 4 valve for his Mach 1, and i showed him the picks of yours, and it stopped him dead in his tracks.. Great work, you know you have ALL of us, just waiting to see that bad boy put together. JUST INCREDIBLE!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
ShockTherapy said:
Here are a few new pics.

on_da_picker.jpg

dropping_in_1.jpg

dropping_in_2.jpg

dropping_in_3.jpg

dropping_in_4.jpg

And after that it came back out. :( I learned the hard way the Navigator oil pan won't work in an F150. That's what I get for assuming the pans were the same. It wouldn't have been so bad, but my turbo guy had already welded two -10 AN bungs in the NAVI pan for my turbo drainbacks. I have another pan but have to wait on him to put the bungs in it before I can drop the engine back in. I was pretty bummed when I realized the pan wasn't going to work. Hopefully I can get bungs welded into the other pan ASAP on Tuesday and get it dropped back in Tuesday afternoon.

so the navi oil pan wont fit. lets say i wanted a navi engine in my 01 L. what other parts are inter and non interchangable? btw, that's a lot of work.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
1BAD93SVT said:
so the navi oil pan wont fit. lets say i wanted a navi engine in my 01 L. what other parts are inter and non interchangable? btw, that's a lot of work.

Well evidently from what I have now heard, the earlier model NAVI pans are exactly like the L pan. Supposedly they changed them in the newer models when the suspension was changed.

As far as interchangeable and non-interchangeable parts....I think I'll try to summarize all that when I get done with the whole project. I'm still figuring out what will and won't work.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
ShockTherapy said:
Well evidently from what I have now heard, the earlier model NAVI pans are exactly like the L pan. Supposedly they changed them in the newer models when the suspension was changed.

As far as interchangeable and non-interchangeable parts....I think I'll try to summarize all that when I get done with the whole project. I'm still figuring out what will and won't work.
so does this mean you didnt have to pull it back out? i would have thought you would have been fine because the block is the same (primarily) its just he heads you are really changing so the L pan would be fine

ShockTherapy

Established Member
lightninmike said:
so does this mean you didnt have to pull it back out? i would have thought you would have been fine because the block is the same (primarily) its just he heads you are really changing so the L pan would be fine

I did have to pull it out to take off the 2004 NAVI pan I had on it. Comparing the 2004 NAVI oil pan to the stock L pan, the sump portion of the NAVI one is about 2-3" deeper than the L pan, so it would not clear the crossmember. The stock L pan I ended up putting on it fits fine of course.

Users who are viewing this thread