Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Dusten

Established Member
Might as well just delete the early comparison.
LS3 (was around 2009) and Coyote '11-14 data you posted shows the Coyote flowing more from .200-.400 lift, where most factory cams live.
The LS and new Hemi have amazing flow from the factory, but they will lose to an efficient DOHC 4V head.
There's a reason the Ford modular swept Engine Masters 1-2-3 with the only 3 that competed, causing a ban on 4V/DOHC design.
Just see John Mihovetz and Accufab racing, or MMR both into the 5s with factory heads.
So, yes, the Coyote platform outflows the LS design.
-J

I was seperating the 4v and coyote.

Theyre completely different monsters. Even the ls guys admit the potential of them

themik99

Established Member
Spent the weekend at the IMSA races in Sebring Florida. I can't share who but I'll paraphrase - the cars being tested, at least those out in Arizona, are DCT equipped. I inquired about any manual transmission variant and got an empty stare which I took as no. As I figured, DCT transmissions are being assembled in Belgium. Units are being serviced in Wixom (which didn't make sense to me as I though they weren't up and running yet but may at least be able to do repair work). I asked if a one piece fiber shaft was coming and it sounds like they are still being tested and heard talk about twisted two-piece steel units. Fingers are crossed that we see a cf shaft on the production car.

That's great news! Did they give any indication of a possible announcement date?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Execs get very quiet around outsiders at events such as a random IMSA race. My connections are field guys that may or may not get dirty while actually working on them. That said, no dates.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
What is consensus on which motor will be in it? I have assumed SC Voodoo motor but at Minneapolis auto show I met a Ford rep that insisted it would be TT Coyote. He did not seem very credible though.

Osiris

Established Member
So no one races on paper...they just race on posting youtube links now, is that it?

You never addressed the fact that the 350 is still the better car vs the '18 GT in every other way but the couple of tenths in the 1/4. (Which is what Ford built it to do) Now we're back to the ZL1 again, seeing that is the car you own, I suppose that's how things are in ZL1 fanboy fantasy land?

Back to the GT350...A car...that was developed...and cleaned the prior gen Z28's clock, which is what it was built to do, and along the way earned worldwide respect. Ford has decided to keep building it because they obviously feel it remains competitive.

But isn't that the way things are supposed to go? Congrats, you've just discovered why Ford is building a GT500 now.

I'm fine with Ford taking time to get it right. No sense in dropping your performance flagship when GM is just waiting to sit back, copy ideas like they always do and one up it. Better to let GM try to guess and clobber them in the end, like they did with the Terminator.

And they certainly can do it fast if they wanted. Don't forget how quickly, and quietly, both the previous and current generation GT got developed and launched.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
Might as well just delete the early comparison.
LS3 (was around 2009) and Coyote '11-14 data you posted shows the Coyote flowing more from .200-.400 lift, where most factory cams live.
The LS and new Hemi have amazing flow from the factory, but they will lose to an efficient DOHC 4V head.
There's a reason the Ford modular swept Engine Masters 1-2-3 with the only 3 that competed, causing a ban on 4V/DOHC design.
Just see John Mihovetz and Accufab racing, or MMR both into the 5s with factory heads.
So, yes, the Coyote platform outflows the LS design.
-J

That reminds me when Kaase took a 5.4 bored and stroked it and it made 800 horse when tuned for too end then 700+ horse and 600 torque+ when tuned bottom end and it was all N/A. First year a mod was allowed in engine masters.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
So no one races on paper...they just race on posting youtube links now, is that it?

That is my car in the video and not some random post.

ZL1 1LE > ZL1 > GT350R > GT350 > Z28 5th Gen

Don't take my word for it, look at Motortrend.

I'm still looking forward to the release of the GT500 whenever it comes around. Hopefully it will be at the top of the list above. I will be disappointed if it isn't a 10.99 or better car on factory tires and beat the ZL1 1LE on the road course.

Last edited:

pwrshft99

Established Member
What is consensus on which motor will be in it? I have assumed SC Voodoo motor but at Minneapolis auto show I met a Ford rep that insisted it would be TT Coyote. He did not seem very credible though.

Seems to be a gt350 motor but with a traditional cross plane crank and a roots blower. Unsure if it will include direct injection like to other 2018+

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Publicly traded companies with Boards of Directors don't always make decisions based on what their customers want. If the margin on Raptors is 5-10% over the margin on Mustangs, then guess what gets capital investment. As car guys, we usually get the benefit of when real car people like John Coletti get to take some risk like the Terminator. The Camaro Chief Engineer, Al Oppenheiser, is like Coletti and the design shows it. I would just encourage the folks that haven't driven one to have a cool Saturday afternoon and go test drive one. SHOCKER......you can go drive a ZL1 without a down payment. If it isn't your thing, then you know. Go burn someone else's rubber and gas. I would say that you need to adjust the seat properly. It has a wide range and reduces the visibility complaints. I was shocked when I sat down and didn't have the reported problems, but I'm pretty average height at 5' 9".

I test drove two, then bought one two weeks later. I know first world problems............

I love this latest generation of ZL1. It looks great, handles great and has tons of power. It's a tough car to say no to. I would love to test drive one, which is awesome it sounds like you have to leave your first born child with the dealership before you take it out.

Back to the GT350...A car...that was developed...after the 350 cleaned the prior gen Z28's clock, which is what itwas built to do, and along the way earned worldwide respect, and why Ford has decided to keep building it, they obviously feel it remains competitive.

Isnt that the way things are supposed to go? Congrats, you've just discovered why Ford is building a GT500 now.

I'm fine with Ford taking time to get it right. No sense in dropping your performance flagship when GM is just waiting to sit back, copy ideas like they always do and one up it. Better to let GM try to guess and clobber them in the end, like they did with the Terminator.

And they certainly can do it fast if they wanted. Don't forget how quickly, and quietly, both the previous and current generation GT got developed and launched.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ford has a lot lot of specialty Mustangs roaming around these days so I don't expect them to release a top dog Mustang in succession like the used to do. Especially in a time when SUV sales are going up and up. Besides, wait creates anticipation and not over saturating the market is sometimes crucial. Particularly when that company is on top for sales. But just think about all the specialty Mustangs out now that you can still see on the streets to this very day. You have the GT350, GT350R, GT, GT PP1, GT PP2, Boss, Laguna Seca, Boss 302S, Boss 302R, GT500, GT500KR, Parnelli Jones 302, Cobra Jet, California Special, Bullitt, Mach 1. Not to mention the 3rd party specialty mustangs released Saleen, Roush, Steeda... Ford has to be careful not to "step on toes" when putting out a new car for the reason already pointed out above. There are tons and tons of Mustangs on the road and plenty of specialty models to pick from. With the GT350 being relatively just released I think it's awesome Ford is putting out the GT500.

I can see how people can be frustrated but I'm sure the engine alone in the new GT500 is going to make this well worth the wait and tear up any competitor handily. I do cringe when I think what the ADM's might be like for the initial buyers. But there is always the 13/14 GT500's to think about, which destroyed everything and still very much relevant factor in today's standards.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I love this latest generation of ZL1. It looks great, handles great and has tons of power. It's a tough car to say no to. I would love to test drive one, which is awesome it sounds like you have to leave your first born child with the dealership before you take it out.
Ford has a lot lot of specialty Mustangs roaming around these days so I don't expect them to release a top dog Mustang in succession like the used to do. Especially in a time when SUV sales are going up and up. Besides, wait creates anticipation and not over saturating the market is sometimes crucial. Particularly when that company is on top for sales. But just think about all the specialty Mustangs out now that you can still see on the streets to this very day. You have the GT350, GT350R, GT, GT PP1, GT PP2, Boss, Laguna Seca, Boss 302S, Boss 302R, GT500, GT500KR, Parnelli Jones 302, Cobra Jet, California Special, Bullitt, Mach 1. Not to mention the 3rd party specialty mustangs released Saleen, Roush, Steeda... Ford has to be careful not to "step on toes" when putting out a new car for the reason already pointed out above. There are tons and tons of Mustangs on the road and plenty of specialty models to pick from. With the GT350 being relatively just released I think it's awesome Ford is putting out the GT500.
I can see how people can be frustrated but I'm sure the engine alone in the new GT500 is going to make this well worth the wait and tear up any competitor handily. I do cringe when I think what the ADM's might be like for the initial buyers. But there is always the 13/14 GT500's to think about, which destroyed everything and still very much relevant factor in today's standards.
Well written and very true.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

I'm still looking forward to the release of the GT500 whenever it comes around. Hopefully it will be at the top of the list above. I will be disappointed if it isn't a 10.99 or better car on factory tires and beat the ZL1 1LE on the road course.
Good for f*****g motortrend.
Not my order. I like to see out of my car also.
So just pencil in 2019 GT500 infrint now? Might as well listen to the magazine.
-J

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member

Just make sure you put it in "Track Mode" before the drive. Tell the salesman to chill. You've got this.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
$60ish depending on discounts without TTL. I think better deals may be available now.

I heard a radio announcement that said Chevy was selling cars $75 under invoice and had two ZL1 1LE’s in stock. It caught my attention due to the 1LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pwrshft99

Established Member
Good for f*****g motortrend.
Not my order. I like to see out of my car also.
So just pencil in 2019 GT500 infrint now? Might as well listen to the magazine.
-J

And you have had the opportunity to drive each variation of both cars, on a closed course with timing equipment?? Sorry, I'll trust a magazine (although not much) more than I'll trust some random internet guy that can't believe the numbers right in front of him.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I’m forgetting the z28 that was immediately sold for $25k under asking price since no one wanted it. ...

I wouldn't say no one wanted the Z/28. It was just waaaay overpriced.

Love the GT350, but it doesn't scare anybody on the street. Certainly not the competitions power adder cars.

That seems more like an insecurity thing on your (and people who think like this) part. That aside, by show of hands, how many current GT500 owners in here are "scared" or intimidated by a ZL1 or Hellcat rolling up? I'm certainly not worried. And I bet most other GT500 owners aren't, either.

... Well, let's look at the performance vehicle portfolios of each brand. ... Chevy has the 2nd best selling truck yet they dont have an answer to the Raptor. ... Dodge does not have an answer to the RS, Raptor, or FGT either and their only competitive vehicle to it is now defunct... again.

Well, Chevy did have the Avalanche before Ford had the Raptor. ;P Dodge has that Ram Rebel thing that's supposed to be in the Raptor's niche.

Where it counts? To who? Drag racers and street racers? Ever consider the fact that not everyone gives a shit about that?

Exactly! I don't give one whit about the ZL1 or Hellcat being faster in a straight line than my R. I don't want a straight-line-only car.

No one is scared of the GT350 because it is slower than a 2018 GT with the auto. It is a full second slower in the quarter mile than a ZL1 and it's a toss up on a road course with a normal ZL1 (not 1LE) and the GT350R. It also cost considerably more than the 2018 GT or ZL1. Unless you are a brand loyalist (which is totally cool), then there are other options. The GT350 sounds nicer. ;)

I don't get the negative comment about ZL1's at a discount. As a buyer, what would you prefer? I got $7000 under MSRP on mine, which is why I didn't even consider a GT350 even though I'm a lifetime Mustang guy.

Deep discounts are good, but unless you plan on keeping the car for a LONG time, you're going to pay for on the back end when you're ready to sell/trade. I could probably take my R to a Chevy dealership right now, do a key swap, and walk away with no more car payments and an extra check. Why? Because the R is still worth a lot more than what ZL1s are selling for brand new. However, that's all irrelevant to me. I don't buy a car thinking about resale, unless it's something that I didn't really want in the first place. You were once a Mustang fan, and now you're still floating on the high of new ZL1 smell. I have a feeling that, when the GT500 comes out, you're going to be trying to unload that ZL1 for it. Don't be mad at the trade offers you get.

Concerning the track times of the ZL1 and R; it shouldn't even be a tossup between the two. All that extra power and torque, and the ZL1 eked out a 0.39 second advantage over the R on a non technical track. The ZL1 1LE's 1.81 advantage at Laguna Seca was probably gained mostly in the long sprint between turn 11 and turn 2. I'd like to see a head to head of the ZL1 1LE and the R at Big Willow; same day, same driver.

And no, the '18 GT is not faster than the GT350. The video you posted is with an '18 GT on wider-than-stock drag radials. And the GT was still barely faster with the 10-speed auto. I suspect there's going to be some disappointed '18 GT automatic owners when they try to roll race GT350s. Do you really think Ford is going to release a regular GT that performs on par with a GT350 while keeping the GT350 in production? The GT is more drag friendly than the GT350, and that's where it ends.

You do not even need the ZL1 to prove your point. If I recall the SS 1LE is an equal match on the track for the gt350.

Never been proven same day, same driver. It just keeps getting repeated over and over in the Camaro camp.

Ford has a lot lot of specialty Mustangs roaming around these days so I don't expect them to release a top dog Mustang in succession like the used to do. Especially in a time when SUV sales are going up and up. Besides, wait creates anticipation and not over saturating the market is sometimes crucial. Particularly when that company is on top for sales. But just think about all the specialty Mustangs out now that you can still see on the streets to this very day. You have the GT350, GT350R, GT, GT PP1, GT PP2, Boss, Laguna Seca, Boss 302S, Boss 302R, GT500, GT500KR, Parnelli Jones 302, Cobra Jet, California Special, Bullitt, Mach 1. ...

Mustang GTs are not specialty Mustangs, and there are no Boss 302S, 302R, or Cobra Jets roaming the streets. I get what you're trying to say, though. It still doesn't really matter. Look how many 911 variants Porsche pushes out constantly.

pwrshft99

Established Member
I wouldn't say no one wanted the Z/28. It was just waaaay overpriced.

That seems more like an insecurity thing on your (and people who think like this) part. That aside, by show of hands, how many current GT500 owners in here are "scared" or intimidated by a ZL1 or Hellcat rolling up? I'm certainly not worried. And I bet most other GT500 owners aren't, either.

Well, Chevy did have the Avalanche before Ford had the Raptor. ;P Dodge has that Ram Rebel thing that's supposed to be in the Raptor's niche.

Exactly! I don't give one whit about the ZL1 or Hellcat being faster in a straight line than my R. I don't want a straight-line-only car.

Deep discounts are good, but unless you plan on keeping the car for a LONG time, you're going to pay for on the back end when you're ready to sell/trade. I could probably take my R to a Chevy dealership right now, do a key swap, and walk away with no more car payments and an extra check. Why? Because the R is still worth a lot more than what ZL1s are selling for brand new. However, that's all irrelevant to me. I don't buy a car thinking about resale, unless it's something that I didn't really want in the first place. You were once a Mustang fan, and now you're still floating on the high of new ZL1 smell. I have a feeling that, when the GT500 comes out, you're going to be trying to unload that ZL1 for it. Don't be mad at the trade offers you get.

Concerning the track times of the ZL1 and R; it shouldn't even be a tossup between the two. All that extra power and torque, and the ZL1 eked out a 0.39 second advantage over the R on a non technical track. The ZL1 1LE's 1.81 advantage at Laguna Seca was probably gained mostly in the long sprint between turn 11 and turn 2. I'd like to see a head to head of the ZL1 1LE and the R at Big Willow; same day, same driver.

And no, the '18 GT is not faster than the GT350. The video you posted is with an '18 GT on wider-than-stock drag radials. And the GT was still barely faster with the 10-speed auto. I suspect there's going to be some disappointed '18 GT automatic owners when they try to roll race GT350s. Do you really think Ford is going to release a regular GT that performs on par with a GT350 while keeping the GT350 in production? The GT is more drag friendly than the GT350, and that's where it ends.

Never been proven same day, same driver. It just keeps getting repeated over and over in the Camaro camp.

Mustang GTs are not specialty Mustangs, and there are no Boss 302S, 302R, or Cobra Jets roaming the streets. I get what you're trying to say, though. It still doesn't really matter. Look how many 911 variants Porsche pushes out constantly.

Ford has a history of releasing specialty cars that get out performed by the next gens entry level model. The 2015 GT was a better street car the 2013 Boss 302, in the same way the 2018 GT is right there with the GT350. GT350 has exclusivity and a unique sound, that's about it. The GT rides on a very similar suspension when optioned out and the power difference isn't much unless your on a road course everyday.

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
It's the 10spd auto that makes the '18MGT as quick as the GT350. Six-speed to six-speed the GT350 is still considerably quicker and will still out-handle the MGT PP1 and I'll bet will also out-handle MGT PP2 (likely even just the vanilla GT350) ...but the gap is surely closing.
We know the GT500 will be fast but if it can approach GT350 balance and handling it will be truly killer!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Publicly traded companies with Boards of Directors don't always make decisions based on what their customers want. If the margin on Raptors is 5-10% over the margin on Mustangs, then guess what gets capital investment. As car guys, we usually get the benefit of when real car people like John Coletti get to take some risk like the Terminator. The Camaro Chief Engineer, Al Oppenheiser, is like Coletti and the design shows it. I would just encourage the folks that haven't driven one to have a cool Saturday afternoon and go test drive one. SHOCKER......you can go drive a ZL1 without a down payment. If it isn't your thing, then you know. Go burn someone else's rubber and gas. I would say that you need to adjust the seat properly. It has a wide range and reduces the visibility complaints. I was shocked when I sat down and didn't have the reported problems, but I'm pretty average height at 5' 9".

I test drove two, then bought one two weeks later. I know first world problems............

6'1" here.

Visibility is shit. Car drives well though. There are a lot of good things about the Camaro and the alpha platform but there are plenty of bad things too, just like anything else.

If you want to ask Motortrend, you should actually swap the GT350R and the ZL1 because they did prefer the GT350R and were open about it.

Users who are viewing this thread