Auto trans failure

1930ford

Established Member
I broke one last hight, not sure how. Car is a 2012 5.0 gt. Roush supercharged, cat delete, mufflers and control arms. Made a total of 8 track passes and 4 partial passes on the street. 4500 miles, tune was from a reputable supplier and seemed to be working well untill a early 2-3 shift from wheel spin and then a early shift with a "flare" into fourth. Ineed to pull it and have it repaired, but the question is how do I keep it from happening again ?

BTW the car ran 11.21@126. 4500da. 91* and 35%hum.

1930ford

Established Member
Diff car than in sig, I am quite suprised to see the trans fail too. Why I am asking what are the "do's and dont's" with these new auto's ?

CPRsm

Won't know how to prevent it until it's torn apart and see what caused it. With the tune in these things it'll a bit harder to pinpoint. A flare can be caused by a few things. Builder will have to look for broken seal/ o-rings, something that caused the line pressure to drop to that drum or band. Loosing fourth makes sense. gears 4-5 and 6 are on the same drum pack, and the smallest out of all of them. Completely ass backwards, but it is what it is. 6 clutches and steels iirc, and also the least amount of surface area on the clutches. And it flat out sucks to get aftermarket replacement parts right now for them.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
When you re-routed the trans lines for the SC install, Did you kink a soft or hard line? Its easy to do. You might check. I have heard of a couple of trans failures due to this from lack of fluid flow.

1930ford

Established Member
Won't know how to prevent it until it's torn apart and see what caused it. With the tune in these things it'll a bit harder to pinpoint. A flare can be caused by a few things. Builder will have to look for broken seal/ o-rings, something that caused the line pressure to drop to that drum or band. Loosing fourth makes sense. gears 4-5 and 6 are on the same drum pack, and the smallest out of all of them. Completely ass backwards, but it is what it is. 6 clutches and steels iirc, and also the least amount of surface area on the clutches. And it flat out sucks to get aftermarket replacement parts right now for them.

Thanks for the Info, Any builders you can recomend ? Really sucks I was looking forward to the NMCA west race in a couple weeks.

CPRsm

Thanks for the Info, Any builders you can recomend ? Really sucks I was looking forward to the NMCA west race in a couple weeks.
Honestly the only places I know of that have done one is my shop and circle D. Mines being tested right now on the dyno. Get crackin' though. It was a mother to get the parts.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
This is first I've heard of auto trans not holding FI power...most have upgraded to circle d converter, but is there other items that should raise concern.

1930ford

Established Member
This is first I've heard of auto trans not holding FI power...most have upgraded to circle d converter, but is there other items that should raise concern.

And this is the issue, lots of people are suprised by the failure(me included)..others not so much. I know SOME guys have gone fast on stock(as built by Ford) autos but how fast and how many passes ? Were we just pushing it to hard ? We are using the stock converter, stock base gt rims with M/T drag radials, 3.15 gear and 1.70/1.71 60ft times can the 6R80 be built to handle this reliably ? Would love to hear from Circle D on this subject.

Bud

Established Member
And I thought I was going to be the first to break a 6r80 because I enjoy full throttle multi gear downshifts on the street, mine has taken probably 100 of those and a few trips down the track w/ 1.5 60fts. Will be interesting to hear what the tear down gives for info. Circle-D is the only one offering upgrades on these as far as I know.

JerryC

Established Member
Was that trans eligible for the shift flare TSB?

Lots of guys, and at least one gal have gone that fast or faster without problems.

I've only made a few runs, last two were 1.57 60's on the stock convertor.

Users who are viewing this thread