Auto trans failure

1930ford

Established Member
Its good to know that many of you have had good luck and gone alot faster ! I guess I will get in touch with Circle D on tuesday and see what they can do. What stall converter are most of you boosted guys running(im keeping the 3.15)
How much do you guys feel the tune affects transmission life ?

whatwhine

Established Member
I thought the auto were damn near bulletproof. I'm surprised it broke. I'm following for details.....
Good luck with the build

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
There are aftermarket auto transmissions out there built to handle the power. Or if you know a hot shot tranny builder get yours re built to handle the torque !!!

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
the stock auto trans will not handle that much power unless upgraded

:bs:MANY people making a lot more power on the bone stock auto and its living for dozens if not hundreds of pass. A friend of mine was at 680whp going mid 10's @ 134mph on the stock auto with a converter and he made a TON of passes with not a single issue. Now hes in the process of building the motor and putting twins on it. 1100+whp might show the stock auto's weak spots, lol.

plattner

Established Member
a while back i called ford racing about a s/c for a 2013 gt auto , and the tech told me that the auto trans cant handle it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Circle D can set you up with the stage 2 kit, which should handle whatever you throw at it

assuming your tune is good. tune is a HUGE factor on these transmissions

Lund racing has spent a ton of time on my car, chris's car, etc.. dialing these in

there have been some issues with bearings spinning in the pumps though, i know of a pretty much stock car that had the trans eat,

my raptor trans spun a bearing with about 6k miles on it, ate the pump and converter, they put a new one of each in, 20 miles later, ate them both again, they went deeper in and saw metal in the valve body. The whole trans needed replacing.

1930ford

Established Member
Circle D can set you up with the stage 2 kit, which should handle whatever you throw at it

assuming your tune is good. tune is a HUGE factor on these transmissions

Lund racing has spent a ton of time on my car, chris's car, etc.. dialing these in

there have been some issues with bearings spinning in the pumps though, i know of a pretty much stock car that had the trans eat,

my raptor trans spun a bearing with about 6k miles on it, ate the pump and converter, they put a new one of each in, 20 miles later, ate them both again, they went deeper in and saw metal in the valve body. The whole trans needed replacing.

Thanks for the info, I have a Lund tune now. Did not really suspect the tune was the issue. Im getting noise while at idle, sounds like I have the same issue you had with spun bearings in the pump. I also suspect some sort of failed clutch pack retainer(bowed) causing the clutch pack for fourth to be loose thus causing the flare.
Anyone have a prefered contact at Circle D ?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
A noise at idle's not good. I'd ask what the fluid looks like but it's a chore to check with the micro dipstick on the side of the trans.

I have been in a LOT of these trans and I have had internal issues very few of them. Most of the ones I work on are in F-150's and Expeditions. They had issues with the bulkhead sleeve leaking which doesn't really apply to the Mustangs as they all have the revised part. Had to do a few valve bodies here and there, a shift solenoid issue or something else in the main control could easily cause a flare without necessarily meaning a clutch pack or seal is on the fritz.

I did see my first hard part failure a couple weeks ago, 2012 Exped (rental car) with no 4/5/6th gears. Found the splines in the rear planetary that couple to the overdrive output shaft stripped.

1930ford

Established Member
Slagburn, thanks for the info. Im going to drop the pan in the am and check for material/condition. Are you using the NGS for testing(whay version) ? I have a MODIS but need to do an update to get data but I am concerned with only getting limited info with an aftermarket scan tool.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I honestly believe its in your tune that caused the failure. Good luck with investigating.

1930ford

Established Member
I honestly believe its in your tune that caused the failure. Good luck with investigating.

I have been doing this for 25 years and one thing I know for sure is that to find the true answer you cant make any conclusions until all the facts are in. I would REALLY like this thread to stay positive/informitive for everyone to benifit from.

Bud

Established Member
Shot off an email to Circle-D about what all is involved in their "Stage 2" upgrades for these trans. Would be nice if a person could get just the clutches, or ship out just the drum if it needs machined to fit them. Don't really want to ship my complete trans to Texas. Will be interesting to hear if they do anything else with these besides the clutch upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread