Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Checked on Oil Filters for the GT500:
Mobil1 and K/N are between $11, AutoBarn-$13, Autozone
Amsoil on their Web-site $17.30 list price
Ford Racing Filter $12.95 at The Ford Source
FL-820 $ 4.00 Wally World
Lots of choices and pricing...

and you will pay more for the AMSOIL for obvious reasons. It's the most advanced oil filter manufactured in the world. The nano-fiber synthetic media and extremely large anti-drain back valve are only two of many superior features.

apexchain

Established Member
We just got our cars? Oil Change already? Or are you getting preppared for the 1,000 MILE MARK :-

Just got my 7 quarts in the mail yesterday... :thumbsup:

Waiting on my filters to arrive next... Any thoughts on the Ford Racing FL820S' filters and the claims over the stock elements?

Thanks!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just got my 7 quarts in the mail yesterday... :thumbsup:

Waiting on my filters to arrive next... Any thoughts on the Ford Racing FL820S' filters and the claims over the stock elements?

Thanks!

I've been using regular Motorcraft filters in my Mustangs since I had my first one back in the 90's (out of 7) and I've never had a problem with them. I've torn down quite a few of the engines out of those cars over the years and haven't noticed anything that would make me want to use anything else. For the money, I think they are the best option going. I don't know what the difference is between the regular Motorcraft and the Ford Racing version, but I can't justify the $10+ added cost with the results I've had from the regular off the shelf guy.
I just changed the oil in my Shelby yesterday and used RedLine 5w-50 and a Motorcraft filter.
Just FYI, the factory installed filter had no markings on it at all and appeared no different than the regular old FL-820. The internals don't look any differend and neither do the externals.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just FYI, the factory installed filter had no markings on it at all and appeared no different than the regular old FL-820. The internals don't look any differend and neither do the externals.

That's the OE version, and absent a proper label to save money, I'm assuming. It may only be a .05 savings per filter, but add that up per 100,000+ filters. The shelf retail version has the label, but I'm sure that .05 per filter was passed on to the wholesale buyer.

Last edited:

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I just did my second oil change. I got the RED LINE 5W50. Even as you poor it in the engine, look like really good stuff. I had used the Castrol before and to be honest I don't think is the right stuff for our car. It got dark too fast, at only 2k the oil was already dark in color. I think Red LIne and Amsoil 20W50 are the best to go with. And I will use RED LINE until the car reach 50K, then I will switch to the AMSOIL 20w50. I will run the RED LINE for 5K miles. I think any less is throwing your money away. Just my 2 cents..

6-Speed

Established Member
I've been using regular Motorcraft filters in my Mustangs since I had my first one back in the 90's (out of 7) and I've never had a problem with them. I've torn down quite a few of the engines out of those cars over the years and haven't noticed anything that would make me want to use anything else. For the money, I think they are the best option going. I don't know what the difference is between the regular Motorcraft and the Ford Racing version, but I can't justify the $10+ added cost with the results I've had from the regular off the shelf guy.
I few years ago, I noticed that the Motorcraft FL820S shrunk in height by about 0.25 inches, but the Ford Racing filter retained the original height. I preferred the larger capacity so I bought a couple of FRPP filters and started using them instead.

Here is the old FL820S filter next to the current model:

IMG_3684.jpg

Here is the FRPP filter next to the current FL820S.

IMG_4648.jpg

6-Speed

Established Member
^^^ Yup, I just got my 13 quarts from them and it was a great deal. They're great to deal with and the case came quick loaded up with catalogs, stickers and brochoures. Definately a recommended dealer.
It would be awesome to have a virgin oil analysis report on the Redline :idea: ;-).

Daddys GT500

Established Member
I just did my second oil change. I got the RED LINE 5W50. Even as you poor it in the engine, look like really good stuff. I had used the Castrol before and to be honest I don't think is the right stuff for our car. It got dark too fast, at only 2k the oil was already dark in color. I think Red LIne and Amsoil 20W50 are the best to go with. And I will use RED LINE until the car reach 50K, then I will switch to the AMSOIL 20w50. I will run the RED LINE for 5K miles. I think any less is throwing your money away. Just my 2 cents..

Sooo...because it "as you poor it in the engine, look like really good stuff" that makes it good oil :lol1:

And because the Castrol "got dark too fast" you "don't think is the right stuff for our car". "Dark" oil just means its working and keeping the contaminants suspended. Also some oils are darker to begin with.

Put down the dip stick and step slowly away from the vehicle :poke:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It would be awesome to have a virgin oil analysis report on the Redline :idea: ;-).

I always "drip out" my oil bottles after a change with one of these guys so I might actually have enough left over after the change to do this. I'll check and see how much I was able to get and if its enough, maybe I'll send it in.

On a side note, that Hansen Oil Saver is the poop!:rockon: You wouldn't believe how much oil is left in a quart after you dump it into the car. I have a bunch of small squirt bottles filled with Mobil 1 from past oil changes. I've found that Synthetic motor oil is absolutely fantastic on guns.
I use it in the action of my M4 and it runs smooth as glass, even when its dirty I can run mag after mag through on full auto with no problems. Most (not all, there are some very good oils out there but I won't get into that) "gun" oils will foul/gum up from the heat and eventually cause jams and failure to feed/extracts. That's not something I can afford on a work gun, so I pretty much trust Synthetic motor oil with my life....:coolman:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I always "drip out" my oil bottles after a change with one of these guys so I might actually have enough left over after the change to do this. I'll check and see how much I was able to get and if its enough, maybe I'll send it in.

On a side note, that Hansen Oil Saver is the poop!:rockon: You wouldn't believe how much oil is left in a quart after you dump it into the car.

I would bet there would be enough left over to do this...

HAN-69002.jpg

Hansen Global Inc. HAN69002

my buddy has one you would not believe how fast you can collect a extra qt of oil.

apexchain

Established Member
Have anyone used this? Instead of buying Roush 5W-50 (High Zinc) Oil that is $17.99 a quart at jegs I am thinking about using this with Redline's 5W50.

Engine Oil Break-In Additive
Provides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in
Allow pistons rings to seat properly with less-slick oil, while antiwear additives protect other engines components to avoid excessive wear
Can also be used in conventional and synthetic oils during regular operation, providing an extra package of protection otherwise not found in most motor oils
16oz bottle treats up to 12 quarts of motor oil--in many cases, one bottle can serve two engines or oil changes
Engine Break-In Additive - $12.95

ABOUT RED LINE MOTOR OIL FOR RACING
Reformulated for improved frictional properties
Special detergents for improved lubricity and less detonation
Polyol ester base stocks provide more stability and film strength when exposed to excess fuel dilution
Each of these products has no less than 2200ppm of zinc and phosphorus for antiwear
Each race oil product is a multi-grade, offering 2-4% more power than oil of a similar viscosity - 20WT is a 5W20, 30WT is a 10W30, 40WT is a 15W40, 50WT is a 15W50
Improved protection at startup, lower oil temp, cleanliness
Remember to change these oils more frequently than regular motor oils
ALSO AVAILABLE FROM OUR DEALERS
81403 - Engine Break-In Additive
MORE TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Bottle (16oz) contains:
33.8 grams total ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate)
17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorus (P)
20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc (Zn)
16.6 grams Sulphur (S)

Increases of antiwear per quart by using one bottle (16oz.): Oil capacity:
Phosphorus Zinc
15 quarts 610 ppm 736 ppm
12 quarts 763 ppm 920 ppm
10 quarts 915 ppm 1104 ppm
8 quarts 1145 ppm 1380 ppm
7 quarts 1307 ppm 1577 ppm
6 quarts 1525 ppm 1840 ppm
5 quarts 1830 ppm 2208 ppm
4 quarts 2288 ppm 2760 ppm
1 quart 9160 ppm 11040 ppm

Half Bottle (8oz.) When Treating:
12 quarts 382 ppm 460 ppm
10 quarts 458 ppm 552 ppm
8 quarts 572 ppm 690 ppm
6 quarts 763 ppm 920 ppm
5 quarts 915 ppm 1104 ppm
4 quarts 1145 ppm 1380 ppm

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah, I posted about it a few pages back and so did a few others. I ordered a case +1 quart from Racer Parts Wharehouse and already did the first oil change with it. I don't have info to pass along yet, but I just got my Blackstone kit so I'll be sending in my Factory fill oil within the next week or so.
I have a few ounces left over of the RedLine that I may send in later on.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I would bet there would be enough left over to do this...

HAN-69002.jpg

Hansen Global Inc. HAN69002

my buddy has one you would not believe how fast you can collect a extra qt of oil.

I'm telling you man, its amazing how much you get out of a quart after you dump it into the engine. I've been saving the drips out of a bottle for years, but just got that Oil Saver last year. It makes saving the remaining oil MUCH easier and faster.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I got a buddy that comes by and picks up my used bottles for this very reason

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'll take a collection... If we all chip in like $2, I can probably get the RedLine oil out next week. :poke: :lol1:
I want to use the kit that came today for the facotry fill though. I'm really interested in seeing the numbers on it and then the used RedLine as I start putting miles on the car.

6-Speed

Established Member
I'll take a collection... If we all chip in like $2, I can probably get the RedLine oil out next week. :poke: :lol1:
I want to use the kit that came today for the facotry fill though. I'm really interested in seeing the numbers on it and then the used RedLine as I start putting miles on the car.
I'll do a VOA on the Motorcraft 5W50 and you do the VOA on the Redline. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread