Brembo 6 Piston (2013) Front Caliper upgrade

Jetaries

Established Member
Hi guys, it's great see read what you guys are upgrading. I live in the Abu Dhabi and I am trying to get some advice for my 2012 gt500 svtPP. My aim is to prepare the car for the YAS F1 circuit. The brakes are the first mods I am looking into. I am all ears guys please feel free to shoot any advice. The 6 caliper brembo could be a nice solution, my question is can I use the 4 caliper brembos for the rear, I would have to use the 14 for the rear and upgrade to 15 in the front. I am plan to order everything in the US and have it shipped ( shipping by air freight not a problem ). It would be real nice to get some advice. I am constantly reading up on the possible brakes upgrade but it's hard to let the brembo go. A contact or even a web page where they would actually reply to my questions would be a good start.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Bias would be fubar'd even if you managed to make the front calipers fit the rear.

Jetaries

Established Member
Tob what do you mean. I don't even know if it can be done, all I am trying to do is figure out how to improve the braking and increase the time I can stay on the track without overheating the brakes on the 3 rd lap. I was told that the brembo gt kit would do the job. But it's a bit high on the price. I was hoping to stay in the 2-3 k budget.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Your front to rear bias would be way off with a 4 pot S197 front Brembo caliper out back.

Cooling, especially given your geographical location, should be a primary consideration. Are you ducting fresh air to the rotors now?

SuperFly03

Established Member
They don't hold up when compared to solid, or slotted rotors. Especially under heavy driving. The cheap Ebay cross drilled rotors don't hold up even under regular driving.

Interesting, haven't heard that one before. I can imagine cheap rotors not holding up but good cross drilled ones? That's a little difficult to swallow just because so many are put on OEM performance cars.

I've got Stillen slotted/cross drilled rotors. Didn't go cheap. :rolling:

89Saleen215

Established Member
Baer says you can't even turn theirs. I had Wilwood's on my Fox and it was nice because you could turn them at least twice before you had to buy new rings. The rings were readily available via Summit Racing or other vendors for like $60 a piece, however, they were just plain rings - no dimple, drilling. slots, nothing. Not sure how good Wilwood's "bling" rotors are, but I'd be asking lots of questions before I ordered.

It'll be interesting to see how FRPP's 2013 2 piece upgrade rotors will do...maybe they won't crack?!

Van@RevanRacing

Interesting, haven't heard that one before. I can imagine cheap rotors not holding up but good cross drilled ones? That's a little difficult to swallow just because so many are put on OEM performance cars.

Baer Cross Drilled Rotors Fail all the time. 5 passes at the Texas Mile and they will crack all the way to the outside edge and require replacement, heck I even heel/toe brake after a pass and they still cracked on the Super Snakes. Porsche has done cross drilled rotors for years but then again it's not a 4,000 lb car they are slowing down either. Cross Drilled rotors are for appearance only on a GT500 or Mustang. Open track the car with cross drilled rotors and they will crack and fail. I've been saying this since 2006 when I got my first GT500. Even Stillen will crack or you're not braking hard enough. Cross Drilled is no bueno on our cars.

SuperFly03

Established Member
Baer Cross Drilled Rotors Fail all the time. 5 passes at the Texas Mile and they will crack all the way to the outside edge and require replacement, heck I even heel/toe brake after a pass and they still cracked on the Super Snakes. Porsche has done cross drilled rotors for years but then again it's not a 4,000 lb car they are slowing down either. Cross Drilled rotors are for appearance only on a GT500 or Mustang. Open track the car with cross drilled rotors and they will crack and fail. I've been saying this since 2006 when I got my first GT500. Even Stillen will crack or you're not braking hard enough. Cross Drilled is no bueno on our cars.

good to know. ill keep that in mind wheni grabsome willwoods down the road.

thanks.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

porsche has done by far the most work on criss drilled rotors, and even they haven't been able to prevent them from cracking. their high end drilled rotors cost MONEY too, they cast the holes into them rather than drilling them to prevent the stress risers that come with drilling(and are the starting points of the cracks). they put a lot of money into it because they do offer advantages(especially in releasing gasses that cause brake fade), but they just haven't been able to prevent cracking.
slotting on the other hand doesn't impact durability the way that drilling does, and offers some of the same advantages in expelling gasses and wiping the pads. definitely the way to go, especially for a track car.

Last edited:

NewYorkJon34

Established Member
Do any of you guys have an extra set of just the front 2013 gt500 brake calipers? I want to send mine in to get powdercoated red but since the car will be my daily driver, I can afford to have it sit wanting for the brakes to get painted. If we could do a swap that would be great.

einehund

Established Member
I had the Baer cross drilled and slotted rotors on my old '02 GT and they cracked on the Autobahn when a douche in an '82 golf pulled out in front of me doing 60 when i was doing 150.... I switched to the 2000 cobra R brakes that weekend and didn't have any issues after that.

DaFreak

Established Member
I got my calipers back from Brian a bit ago and thought I would share his work. I know hydro CF is not for everyone but I really like how they turned out. These were originally black with white Brembo lettering.

DSC03788_zps67367a07.jpg

DSC03789_zpsa1b734ff.jpg

DSC03791_zps8a92e63e.jpg

You can't tell from the pics but these calipers are massive and they must have been difficult to coat and dip properly. Brian really took great care around the pistons, fittings and other hardware too. Great job Brian!

Just today I ordered the brakes lines and pads from Tousley so I should have everything together in the next few weeks.

I'll post up more pics when they are installed.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Pretty crazy looking finish, I wouldn't do it but I dig your style. Are the lines now available from Tousley? What are the pads running now?

DaFreak

Established Member
Pretty crazy looking finish, I wouldn't do it but I dig your style. Are the lines now available from Tousley? What are the pads running now?

One of the lines is on back order and Steve said they should have it in a couple of weeks. The pads were damn expensive. $215. Steven mentioned something about a new part number for them too. I'll take some pics and post up when they come in.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Hey guys I found some 18" road racing wheels that weight 20 lbs and will fit over the 15" 2013 front brakes.

link

Users who are viewing this thread