Cobra R, SVT items and misc. stuff found on eBay and for sale elsewhere

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Robert, you just quoted yourself :lol:

Exactly! :)^^^^^^

I would never have thought that something like a "toy" related to the 2000 Cobra R could/would bring 4 or maybe even 5 times its original cost of $20 or so, after just sitting around the house for few years, amazing!!

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I much prefer having money in the bank versus the opposite scenario. :lol:

I understand, and if your house is damaged and all items inside are a loss, your money is still safe. But that is not really where I am going with this, I am just amazed how many, many "car items" that are not worth much in the non-SVT world, are now in the SVT-world, at times, bringing crazy money.

It could be a SVT Recognition Guide for well over $100, a pair of original genuine Ford 1993 Cobra Opal Gray floor mats (front only), $250-$350, a 2000 Cobra R Owners Guide Supplement (16 pages) $200+, Some of the harder to find SVT Cobra R posters (a piece of paper) $50+, this 00R Maisto toy $100+, that 93 Cobra dealership stand-up card $300.........

I have noticed that 94/95 Saddle Tan Cobra floor mats (front only) are now approaching $200.

and the list goes on and on.................

Some of these items ^^^^^^^^along with the actual "money in the bank" is quite a nice investment don't you think? If you can double, triple, quadruple or even better some things that you have purchased (or been given free) over time, beside money itself that has been invested, isn't that a good investment?

All of these items are relatively new (late model) and the "real money" is not here on the cars themselves, just think what some of this stuff will bring when the cars themselves to a significant $$$ point, and people are craving hard to find items for their SVT product. I am not saying that there is no limit to the $$$ on these items, but I am saying that these items are bringing far more than their original cost in recent times and eBay and the internet has made all of this possible.

If you buy a stock share for $30 and sell it for $90, or bought for $10 and sold for $25, you would consider it to have been a good investment, if you were given a 1993 Cobra dealership stand-up card, or maybe even bought it for $25-$40 from a friend, and sold it a few years later for $300, well, that sounds/looks like a better investment of that same money amount to me? true? or we can take the SVT Recog. Guide, $40 just a couple of years ago, now $150 or so used? I will not count the one that recently sold for $200+ because it was signed and new, good investment?

It just amazes me what some of this stuff is selling for!

BTW - I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking that buying a 1993 Cardboard stand-up for $300 is now a good investment, nor any of the other "now" prices listed above, but for the person who steadily watched these items and noticed an upward climb a few years ago and decided to place a little "extra money" that direction at that time, most likely you have done well in original $$$ outlay vs. current $$$ value.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Did anyone catch this eBay auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...020QQitemZ300102702063QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

At first all looked well, and to the average person it would, but after I opened the hood on my 95R I noticed the original 95R red wires have a 1994 date and the drivers side valve cover sticker has a Jan. 95 date which stands to reason, I realized that these engines were built/assembled in late 1994 and would have 1994 dated plug wires, not 1995.

R

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Robert M said:
Like I had mentioned previously...............it is not just Cobra and Cobra R stuff that is getting expensive, it's SVT. I wonder what the initial investment was in this pair of floor mats? $40+?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-9...tegoryZ33697QQihZ019QQitemZ290109412167QQrdZ1

R

I saw that auction but you do realize that those are reproduction mats don't you? This line tells it all:

"These are made to exactly match the orginal floor mats, which are no longer in production."

I'd say the investment in this mats is about $15.

RossSVT

Established Member
Good catch!

I have a spare set, in the factory package, marked NOS 1995 "R" mats. Wonder what they are worth?:dw:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
I saw that auction but you do realize that those are reproduction mats don't you? This line tells it all:

"These are made to exactly match the orginal floor mats, which are no longer in production."

I'd say the investment in this mats is about $15.

No I did not catch that disclaimer, ouch!! $300+ for reproductions??

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
No sale at $4850. Anyone else surprised it didn't sell? Anyone else bid on it?

The thing that surprised me is that a "historical" value did not drive this 5.8L engine higher, not only because it is one of probably none left with 0 miles, but also because it has been viewed by countless numbers at the plant where it has been on display since it was assembled.

But one thing that was pointed out to me by a friend who collects cars, and I have mentioned this before........the buyer for this engine, like the buyer for a no mile wrapper R-Model is not going to be the average/normal Cobra R buyer. Why pay a premium $$$ for something you can not use at all? and if you do, the value falls.............

Specifically on this 5.8 R engine, what is the value of an engine, as unique as it is, to pay the big $$$ to display? If it was purchased for an 95R that was missing its original, I could see paying some extra $$$ for it, but then the car is still a non-number matching 95R. I am not up on the market for a performance 351 create motor with alum. heads, what do they cost? and then what would a historical value be in addition to the create motor cost for this engine?

Personally, I would think that this engine, with the many 95R specific parts in place "could" bring $6K-$7.5K+ if the right person saw it at the right time.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
RossSVT said:
Good catch!

I have a spare set, in the factory package, marked NOS 1995 "R" mats. Wonder what they are worth?:dw:

What do these mats look like? From what I have read and seen, none of the Cobra R's, 93, 95, 00 came with factory floor mats. There were factory "COBRA" floor mats available through the Ford accessory items, but the Cobra R's only had the plastic on the floor carpet and no mats in the trunk area. The factory floor mats that are regular production 94/95 Cobra, that also are the perfect match for the saddle tan carpet and have a F4ZZ part number on the back. If the mats you have are the F4ZZ COBRA mats in tan, they have been moving up into the $200 area, maybe even more now, depending on who is bidding.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Truth be known the black convertible pictured in the 95 board is actually a painted 94 pace car........

Mark - I looked through the 1995 Cobra dealer showroom brochure. It appears that all of the Cobra's, the white coupe inside the front cover, the black convert., and the red coupe shown on the next page after the convert. are 1994 models. I would guess that all pictures on the dealer showroom stand-up are actually 1994 models.

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Robert M said:
The thing that surprised me is that a "historical" value did not drive this 5.8L engine higher, not only because it is one of probably none left with 0 miles, but also because it has been viewed by countless numbers at the plant where it has been on display since it was assembled.

But one thing that was pointed out to me by a friend who collects cars, and I have mentioned this before........the buyer for this engine, like the buyer for a no mile wrapper R-Model is not going to be the average/normal Cobra R buyer. Why pay a premium $$$ for something you can not use at all? and if you do, the value falls.............

Specifically on this 5.8 R engine, what is the value of an engine, as unique as it is, to pay the big $$$ to display? If it was purchased for an 95R that was missing its original, I could see paying some extra $$$ for it, but then the car is still a non-number matching 95R. I am not up on the market for a performance 351 create motor with alum. heads, what do they cost? and then what would a historical value be in addition to the create motor cost for this engine?

Personally, I would think that this engine, with the many 95R specific parts in place "could" bring $6K-$7.5K+ if the right person saw it at the right time.

R

Reserve on the auction was $7500 which in my opinion is WAY to much. Let's look at the Cobra R specific parts on that motor: Upper intake, headers, valve covers. Anything else? That motor had standard iron GT-40 heads and a marine short block. Putting that motor in a 95R that was missing a motor would be no different than putting a replacement motor in one with above mentioned parts IMHO.

If that engine is worth that much then I'd like to know how much my original 428 SCJ cut-away display engine is worth?

I think it would make a nice museum piece in the end. I'm not sure if he'd say but I would have expected R-Man to be bidding on that motor for his Museum.

If that engine is worth $6-$7.5k then how much would a 00R engine be worth?

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Reserve on the auction was $7500 which in my opinion is WAY to much. Let's look at the Cobra R specific parts on that motor: Upper intake, headers, valve covers. Anything else? That motor had standard iron GT-40 heads and a marine short block. Putting that motor in a 95R that was missing a motor would be no different than putting a replacement motor in one with above mentioned parts IMHO.

If that engine is worth that much then I'd like to know how much my original 428 SCJ cut-away display engine is worth?

I think it would make a nice museum piece in the end. I'm not sure if he'd say but I would have expected R-Man to be bidding on that motor for his Museum.

If that engine is worth $6-$7.5k then how much would a 00R engine be worth?

I would guess that the large amount of 428CJ's and SCJ's for the mass production cars that they were built for would have something to do with their $$$, in comparision to a 1 of 255 extremely limited number build and for one specific car, the 95R. Being a cut-away is very cool, but also very limited as it could in no way be used for anything except a display and could add no value to a 68-70 Shelby or Mach 1.

Yes this 95R 5.8L is really a museum piece, but if a person who owned a 95R roller was "in-need", it is a correct/complete assy. and even new. I would guess that $6-$7.5K is not a current price for this engine, but at some point it could be if someone has a "rare" 1 of 250 95R and needs many or all of the engine to bring back most of its value, this is what they would be looking for.

BTW-I had not contacted the owner of this engine and was unaware of its reserve, but it sure did fall the price range I quoted. An original 95R 5.8L, (not something that is cobbled together) but an original complete assy. is definitly a valuable part of the original 1995 Cobra R package, without an original engine, matching numbers or not, a 95R can quickly dive in value especially in the current low $$$ market. Actually, that is a good comparision....In the current 95R market, if you were to pull the original engine and keep it, sell it, or whatever, its not with the car, and try to sell the rolling body, what kind of money would the body bring? I have a feeling it would be at least a $6000-$7500 hit against the car, maybe even more depending on the specific 95R. This seller knows that to the right person, this engine is valuable. I think he stated that in his auction.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread