Even better.........

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Lots of funny stuff at TSTSNBN........Man that place gives me a good laugh. Its like reading the comics for auto guys...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
The road racing comments crack me up. "The Ford will never get its power to the ground"
Who the hell road races on stock tires? I am done drag racing my Mustang GT on stock tires because it is an exercise in futility and a safety hazard. Many years ago I bought a new Dodge Neon that was specifically optioned to be an autocrosser. It had extraordinarily expensive adjustable struts, 18 more HP and a few other bits. Another thing it came with was the cheapest tires known to man since any stock classed car would have its tires swapped out for R compounds.
that neon was an ACR i take it(you'll never guess where i got that idea from:lol1:)? those are stupid fun little cars, friend of mine had one!

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
It's too bad it won't hook up, and will be nearly impossible to drive for anyone not a professional, and won't even be allowed on road courses and autocross events without both PP and TP options.

Ford dropped the ball on this one, wish I hadn't ordered one.

A+

10/10

:lol1:

Just_a_car_guy

Established Member
This car is going to go down as one of the most BA muscle cars of all time...at least it is looking that way. Also the fact that you can get these kind of numbers (662/630 200+mph) in the mid 50K range is a complete performance bargain.

But it doesn't matter what Ford, or Chevy, or anyone else does to a car like this with this amount of power....it is going to take a skillful driver to take it to its limit and you can bet that guys out there will be running up into the 13s until they learn to control the beast. But thats no fault of the car at all.

A bit off topic, but its funny and a bit sad how half of these posts aren't even about the thread topic....its C5 bashing lol. Some of you seem to even go so far as to seek out C5 posts just to quote on here. Come on guys....I thought you were better than that.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Not even 24 hrs. Just in from work and the mailbox is getting stuffed.

My apologies Bruce as I see you've been busy.

Gentleman, stay on track. Too much good happening within this one to make it all go away. Darth, if it goes haywire again, I'll accommodate your request.

Tob

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
2013 Shelby GT500; 662 Horsepower, 200 MPH. WHY???

2013shelby-550x309.jpg

Big news today; the Ford Shelby GT500 apparently packs 662 horsepower in addition to its 200 mph top speed. The big question now is “why?”

The opening paragraph was written by our cherished Editor, Derek Kreindler. I’m here to answer the question posed within. In fact, I will provide multiple answers.

Let’s start with bragging rights. Chevrolet has been playing the numbers card in the ponycar wars since the dawn of time, often to obscure the fact that Ford had a better idea at the time. Remember how easily the five-liter Fox Mustang danced around the ‘Vette-engined IROC-Z? What about the turbocharged SVO, which couldn’t hang with the Tuned Port Z28 in a straight line or even around a skidpad but easily dusted the third-gen F-body on real roads? More recently, the LS3-engined Camaro SS has had the power edge on the retro-Mustang but hasn’t managed to win the hearts and minds of the journos or the track-rat crowd.

Ford knows there’s a group of people out there who want the biggest number, and instead of trying to do it with their V-6 or normally-aspirated V-8 cars, they’re bringing it at the top end. The new Shelby doesn’t just bitch-slap the rare-on-the-ground ZL1: it exceeds the Corvette ZR1′s published number. In the real world, the ZR1 is too light for the Shelby to threaten, but in the real world, the owners of these cars are mostly sixty-year-old drywall contractors. Ford’s got the bragging rights.

Next up, the turbo Hayabusa issue. Human beings adjust to acceleration. It’s a fact. The regional-jet-set barely notices the monstrous push of a full-throttle runway takeoff. Formula 1 drivers complained that the 2.4-liter V-8 cars, which were capable of reaching 200mph on many road course straightaways, felt ‘poky’ because they were used to the V-10 racers. Last, but not least, we have all the people who turbocharge their Suzuki Hayabusas because 9.8-second quarter-miles at 144mph just don’t get it done after a while. The current Shelby is fast as hell, but as I found out last year, you get used to the thrust in short order. Let’s have more of that, then.

Last but not least, there is the sheer exuberance of it. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but resources are getting scarce in this world and the United States no longer sits at the head of the table when it’s time to chew ‘em up. Your children won’t have a chance to buy something like this. It might not be illegal to own one, but it won’t be cheap or easy, either. If you want to experience six hundred and sixty-two horses pulling you down the streets of your hometown like a Apolloian chariot hitched to the sun itself, now’s the time. There won’t be much of a tomorrow. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the 2013 GT500. Raise your glasses, perhaps for the last time.​
2013 Shelby GT500; 662 Horsepower, 200 MPH. WHY??? | The Truth About Cars

...brought to you by the author of the new york times best selling nurburgring article, "cheating nissan, bitter porsche":D

A bit off topic, but its funny and a bit sad how half of these posts aren't even about the thread topic....its C5 bashing lol. Some of you seem to even go so far as to seek out C5 posts just to quote on here. Come on guys....I thought you were better than that.
nope, we definitely aren't. not that we care either.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I know the odds are against it when it comes time to putting the power down because Ford isn't going to throw the amount of money Ferrari does for R&D on each individual car, but if you look at the newer Ferraris it should be proof that big hp can be put to the ground on normal sized tire accomidated by LC and TC. The 458 at 570hp and a 295 rear tire puts the power down and the 599 with 670hp and a 315 rear puts the power down extraordinarily! How much power is the successor to the 599 gonna have, 700+? Like I said, these are extrmemly expensive cars with a lot of R&D but lets just say SVT got the formula right and got the launch control and traction control right. I think the possibility is there for this car to put the power down.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member

...not better, just faster. :burnout:

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I am just imagining Camaro's chief engineer right now getting a text from his top designer that this GT500 has more hp/tq than previously advertised and him just shitting his pants. :lol:

The thought makes me giggle out loud.:beer:

Agreed?:rolling:

higherarcing

fabricator
Established Member
I'd say Ford has addressed the power with the crazy gears. 1st gear is good for 60 in an attempt not to blow the tires off and avoid a shift.
I'm looking forward to the 200 mph pics posted. If I owned one, I'd take it there. How long will it really take with almost 700hp?
Screw the drag strip, let's see these things hit the mile competitions.
Road course times on stock tires could be interesting. Swap the Goodyear junk out for some PS2's or something and life will be much better.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i don't think your getting much better than maybe 185MPH in the mile. it's just a whole different animal, trying to hit 200MPH in a single standing mile stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread