GT350, whats it gonna cost and whos changing orders?

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Here is a QA from Mustang6g - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165480&postcount=627

PRODUCTION:

Q: Do you expect it to be a limited production?
A: It will be about the same as a GT500.

Q: Will there be as many built as customers want?
A: …Up to a point.

WEIGHT:

Q: Is the GT350 lighter than the base GT?
A: Yea, we’re not really talking curb weight today, but there was a lot of light-weighting. Much of it went to offset all the mass that we added in terms of power, brakes, etc., but we also went beyond that too.

Q: So you’re optimistic that…
A: Yea, I’m not going to tell you. [laughs]

ENGINE:

Q: Is it dry sump?
A: It’s not dry sump.

Q: Is it direct injection?
A: No.

Q: Where do you get the extra 0.2 liter displacement
A: It’s all bore. It’s got plasma sprayed bore lining. Same lining coating as the 2013 GT500.

Q: Better breathing with flat planes?
A: It’s the rotational inertia that it reduces and also from an exhaust standpoint because you’re going side to side, you’re never disturbing the next cylinder’s firing.

Q: And mass reduction on the crank right?
A: Right.

Q: Where is the crank made?
A. It’s mostly in-house.

Q: You guys forge the crank and machine it yourselves?
A: Yea, there’s bits that are forged…

Q: This is a pretty big motor for a flat plane crank (big displacement). What have you done in terms of crankshaft damping?
A: There’s almost 30 things we did (outside the block) to compensate for it. It’s going to be a whole other story on how we did that.

Q: Challenges with emissions compliance with a flat plane crank?
A: It was harder than usual.

Q: Tell us about the variable loading exhaust valve?
A: It’s got an electric valve. So the valve, depending on what driver mode you’re in, the valve will either be open all the time (track mode) or it will open under certain conditions.

Q: Is it dependent on RPM or back pressure?
A: It’s electronically controlled so there’s algorithms in there that turn valve on in the right point in time.

Q: How much were you able to share with the 5.0L?
A: There are little common parts (i.e. things in the valve train), but it’s pretty much an all-new engine: new heads, new casting, new intake, new crank, new pistons, new rods, new halfshafts.

Q: There were rumors this engine was nicknamed Voodoo, is that the name it’s going by?
A: That was its nickname, yes.

Q: Any chance of seeing this engine in anything else?
A: Right now it’s just in this car. Which we’ve always done, just like the Trinity engine in the GT500. The GT500 was the only place you got the 5.8L.

Q: So it’s exclusive for now at least?
A: Yea.

Q: Is factory top speed software-limited?
A: No, it is drag-limited.

Q: How high does it go?
A: We’re not talking numbers today.

BENCHMARKS:

Q: What were your benchmarks for this car?
A: We had four cars that we bought. One was a 911 Carrera S — that was our main one. But we also bought a Ferrari California and that was mostly for NVH benchmarking. That’s the only flat plane crank front-engine car really out there. And then we bought a C7 corvette and also a Z28.

Q: Relative lap times compared to a Boss 302 around a race track?
A: Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster.

SUSPENSION:

Q: What is the percentage of stiffness difference on the bushing between the GT350 and the standard GT?
A: Not that much. The bushings are different. The rate, the springs, the swaybars are different.

Q: Is the bushing changes primarily a handling thing or is it for NVH?
A: All for responsiveness and handling.

TRANSMISSION:

Q: Tell us a little about the transmission.
A: It’s a Tremec 3160 transmission that’s been modified fairly significantly to cope with the demands of the flat plane crank engine.

Q: What about the fly wheel and the clutch?
A: It’s got a low inertial dual mass flywheel and two 15-mm dual disc clutch.

WHEELS/BRAKES:

Q: Why black wheels?
A: Actually there’s a reason for that. The brake pads we use, they create so much dust and customers just hate it. You drive the car once with clean wheels and they are dirty after a short drive. So that’s why we got dark wheels.

Q: Why no carbon ceramic brakes?
A: I think you’ll find out later that affordability was a big part of this car.

Q: So keeping price down was a big part of that?
A: Yes. That was a priority with this car.

MISC:

Q: Is it meant to be a Boss 302 replacement or a GT500 replacement? Where is it positioned in the lineup?
A: It is its own beast. Just because the whole flat plane crank is so different than anything we’ve done and anything that’s out there.

Q: In terms of the body panels, how much does it share with the GT and how much of it is new?
A: From the A-pillar forward it’s all new. The whole rear diffuser is new. Rear quarter panels are the same.

Q: Will this be a platform for the GT500?
A: The car has got really good bones so…

Q: How much fun was it working on this?
A: It was awesome. I don’t want to stop.

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
I am going to keep my '15GTPP on order that is being built on Monday, Nov 24th. I am scary to buy a new FPC motor that Ford just developed. I think there won't be any issues with the powertrain, etc. but just a comfort factor to keep my '15 and enjoy that for a year or 2 and see where Ford takes this FPC. If it only stays in the GT350 or it will be used for something else.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here is a QA from another site.

If they came out with a 5.2L TT with 700hp+, I will trade my GT500, if not, I'm not interested.

99% of the public won't take their car to a track. With that being said, a standard V6 Mustang has more cornering potential than most people can use on a public road.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Two really caught my eye.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
If they came out with a 5.2L TT with 700hp+, I will trade my GT500, if not, I'm not interested.

99% of the public won't take their car to a track. With that being said, a standard V6 Mustang has more cornering potential than most people can use on a public road.
So very true on both statements.

Those 2 peaked my interest as well. The future looks bright for what the GT500 might be. I cannot wait to see what #'s this GT350 puts down on the race track.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Nope. I'll stick with my 50th model. I won't use the extra handling, mine rides better, has auto (which will shift like a mofo with a tune) and make much more power for less money when I s/c it.

how does it ride better than self adjusting shocks? lol

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member

same here...

but I like this car, I really do

Rct851

Established Member
Nope. I'll stick with my 50th model. I won't use the extra handling, mine rides better, has auto (which will shift like a mofo with a tune) and make much more power for less money when I s/c it.
I'm sure your car appreciates you sticking up for it like but ...those are the 4 most girly man excuses on the Internet for rationalizing your vehicle over this one

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I'm thinking $60k, 520/420 HP/TQ and a tick or so slower than the Z28 all things being equal.

hognutz

Established Member
Here is a QA from Mustang6g - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165480&postcount=627

PRODUCTION:
Q: Do you expect it to be a limited production?
A: It will be about the same as a GT500.

Q: Will there be as many built as customers want?
A: …Up to a point.

WEIGHT:
Q: Is the GT350 lighter than the base GT?
A: Yea, we’re not really talking curb weight today, but there was a lot of light-weighting. Much of it went to offset all the mass that we added in terms of power, brakes, etc., but we also went beyond that too.

BENCHMARKS:

Q: What were your benchmarks for this car?
A: We had four cars that we bought. One was a 911 Carrera S — that was our main one. But we also bought a Ferrari California and that was mostly for NVH benchmarking. That’s the only flat plane crank front-engine car really out there. And then we bought a C7 corvette and also a Z28.

A: Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster

TRANSMISSION:

Q: Tell us a little about the transmission.
A: It’s a Tremec 3160 transmission that’s been modified fairly significantly to cope with the demands of the flat plane crank engine.

Q: What about the fly wheel and the clutch?
A: It’s got a low inertial dual mass flywheel and two 15-mm dual disc clutch.

WHEELS/BRAKES:

Q: Why no carbon ceramic brakes?
A: I think you’ll find out later that affordability was a big part of this car.

Q: So keeping price down was a big part of that?
A: Yes. That was a priority with this car.

MISC:

Q: Is it meant to be a Boss 302 replacement or a GT500 replacement? Where is it positioned in the lineup?
A: It is its own beast. Just because the whole flat plane crank is so different than anything we’ve done and anything that’s out there.

These coments are interesting because if there intent is to really keep cost down and come in say cheaper than the outgoind GT500 I think they have a winner in this car. weight and price in my mind are the key. I should do everting really well looking at the specs and if it is cheaper than a C7 or Zl1 but delivers the same or more performance I would look at it myself for sure.

Its obviously going to be lighter than a Zl1, it should get better milage, it has a nicer interior. nice gear box on paper, twin disc clutch, good brakes. If the price is right I will look for sure. I would do nothing thoug if perfromanc eis kind of a wash. I hate the milage and weight of my Zl1 but I like the durablity. 10" righ gear, clutch is holding 585whp without blinking, shafts are strong. with the wieght though you just have to be gental with the go pedal at times or it gets lose in a hurry but is very predictable when i does.

than again my wife is not a mustang person so she may lose her shit if I bring it up ha ha.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
this car is going to be awesome ...the only drawback i see is dealer mark up...its likely to be 10k easily! Hate to say it but the zl1 is a dinosaur compared to this car!!!

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I am thinking the GT350 will be a tick quicker than the Z28. The broad torque curve of the 5.2 engine and the high rpm capability along with a lighter trans and possible lighter weight of the GT350 will make the GT350 quicker than the Z28. I am looking forward to the day when I can order the 5.2 FPC engine and lightweight trans from Ford Motorsport. I think the engine and trans would be ideal for my Fox Mustang.
By the way, I think MSRP will be $63000 for a base GT350.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
this car is going to be awesome ...the only drawback i see is dealer mark up...its likely to be 10k easily! Hate to say it but the zl1 is a dinosaur compared to this car!!!

Wont be marked up long, as normal some dealers will ask $30k over and some will give you invoice, I got an awesome deal on my Boss pretty quick. Just shop around this isn't a limited production car.

Lemers

Established Member
Wont be marked up long, as normal some dealers will ask $30k over and some will give you invoice, I got an awesome deal on my Boss pretty quick. Just shop around this isn't a limited production car.

What's the definition of limited production?
Wasn't the boss produced to around less than 5% of GTs? It feels pretty limited to a dealer and a consumer when the dealer only gets 1 or 2 and can't place an order without an allocation.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
already said it will be produced like the last GT500 which means 5k units?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Will not pay ADM. Trust me, a dealer will not let someone walk out with good credit that can the buy the car with no hassles over them trying to get a ADM. As the saying goes, there is a ass for every seat, there is someone willing to sell a seat for that ass to sit on.

I am interested in this car. Once more info comes it will be easier to make the decision.

hognutz

Established Member
anybody who pay's adm on any car is just lazy IMO. I have never paid it, I never will, I have yet to find a model year that I could not find at MSRP.

I found a 13 gt500 is 12 for MSRP and paid supplier for my 13 zl1 in 12. both took me a day with the help of the internet.

for the record I have never paid MSRP either though. I can't let 3-6 months of impaitiece cost me 3-5k. then again my recipe is buy the car at the best deal cash, don't fince or pay adm. this way you don't lose so much money on cars. that can littely be a 15k swing on a car.

Users who are viewing this thread