pros and cons:procharger vs roush tvs

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
i've had a battle in my head choosing the procharger stage 2 or the brenspeed roush tvs 650 corvette killer package.
i know turbo is more effeciant,no belt slip,etc...
but im wanting a supercharger this time.
i want the instant torque feeling. minimum heat soak and belt slip.
i would feel comfortable making 625-650hp to the wheels. my car is not a dd. but i do travel to car shows,cruising, etc.. im not planning a built longblock. just want a fun car.
the prices are about the same for both kits.
so im looking for people who have these kits and can comment on what they would do different or not change at all.

grnenvy

Established Member
This always becomes a pissing match. Just do a search and choose.
Oh and as for turbos being more effecient ect ect.
Top fuel and funny cars run blowers and there the fastest in the world.

turbosha

Established Member
okay.... and a rebuild after 4 seconds of running. dosen't seem efficiant to me.
look at a more realistic class. pro-mod.
a mix of blower, turbo and nitrous cars.

turbosha

Established Member
im not on here 24 7 so i dont know what was or wasnt posted.
im to lazy to search what people wrote.
im not looking for a debate from one person to another.
just what you have,why and if you would have changed anything.

stang910

Established Member
Out of those 2 I'd choose the TVS since there's really no price difference in the kits. The TVS will make more torque right off idle and the fit and finish is probably alot better since it was designed with Ford Racing.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member

You're being a bit disingenuous. Non-Roots style superchargers are not allowed in FC or TF.

FC: SUPERCHARGER
Restricted to Roots-type supercharger, rotor helix angle not to
exceed that of a standard 71-series GM-type rotor. Turbocharger
and/or centrifugal supercharger prohibited.
Maximum size: 14-71

TF: SUPERCHARGER
Restricted to Roots-type supercharger, rotor helix angle not to exceed
that of standard 71-series GM-type rotor. Turbocharger and/or
centrifugal supercharger prohibited.
Maximum size: 14-71

http://www.highschooldragracing.org/2012_NHRA_Rulebook.pdf

turbosha

Established Member
Out of those 2 I'd choose the TVS since there's really no price difference in the kits. The TVS will make more torque right off idle and the fit and finish is probably alot better since it was designed with Ford Racing.
would you choose the tvs over the cent. you have now if you did it over?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
if your looking at a centrifical, many benefits of the paxton over the procharger

There are many benefits to the paxton / vortech setups over the procharger setup.

1) The Pax/Vor kits have a larger intercooler, than even the stage 2 procharger kit.

2) The Air intake placement. The pax/vor setup reusues the factory air box location, which has proven to be a great source of air and great right from the factory. The procharger inlet is at the rear bay of the engine sucking in heat from not only the engine, but from the headers as well. HOT HOT HOT. The pax/vor are still adaptable to using a JLT CAI kit as well.

3) Crank stress. The Pax/Vor setup utilizes the factory tensioner setup. It adds 0 more stress to the crank. The Procharger setup adds an extra pulley to the front of the crank, an extra tensioner, which is constantly pulling. I have seen more than one crank fail on these cars with that setup.

4) More Power Potential - The 2200 kit will outperform any stage 1 or stage 2 and even the upgraded head units above the stage 2 procharger.

5) And this is the best - Cost. The cost is less. Hands down, the best way to go.

I can set you up with a paxton setup for much less than the tvs or procharger, and it has the potential to take you very very far.

jayman33

I wouldn't go Brenspeed for that kit. Look at VMP's kit... Heck, you can make your own TVS kit similar to brenspeed for a lot less while using a VMP or Lund tune.

Going for broke

Established Member
I wouldn't go Brenspeed for that kit. Look at VMP's kit... Heck, you can make your own TVS kit similar to brenspeed for a lot less while using a VMP or Lund tune.

That is the same conclusion I came to as well. Brenspeed uses their tune over the top of the Roush calibration as opposed to just flashing your current ECM with a new tune.

stang910

Established Member
would you choose the tvs over the cent. you have now if you did it over?

No the Paxton is a great kit, I saved a bunch of money by going this route. I'll never have to worry about my intake or throttlebody being a restriction like the TVS. I'm sure the TVS makes a ton more torque off idle, but it's not needed IMO. My car with 3.55's will roast 1st or 2nd as soon as I get in the gas. I'd say the only advantage the TVS has over the Paxton is there's no piping in front of the engine which makes lots of room to work and change a belt if you had to.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

It doesn't matter Superchargers are still on the fastest cars in the world like it or not. When a car with a turbo can run 4sec at well over 300 plus then talk to me.

okay.... and a rebuild after 4 seconds of running. dosen't seem efficiant to me.
look at a more realistic class. pro-mod.
a mix of blower, turbo and nitrous cars.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Im choosing the pro charger 2 for its minimal evasion ie no grinding of the heads its clean looks and easy deinstall return to stock capabilities! Besides the belts they use are tp notch!

pohnjarker

Established Member
your original post says you want instant torque so the TVS is what you want.

cost/performance wise, as Beef has said, the Paxton is much more efficient and can take you further than the procharger...not to mention much less out of your pocket.

i didnt need the instant torque of the tvs, i can roast the tires in first, second, third, and have even broken loose in fourth with the paxton kit.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
your original post says you want instant torque so the TVS is what you want.

cost/performance wise, as Beef has said, the Paxton is much more efficient and can take you further than the procharger...not to mention much less out of your pocket.

i didnt need the instant torque of the tvs, i can roast the tires in first, second, third, and have even broken loose in fourth with the paxton kit.

yep, the kit has all the torque that you need!

Users who are viewing this thread