pros and cons:procharger vs roush tvs

Deranged2013

Established Member
TVS or Paxton! IMO, 710hp TVS kit is pushing it a bit for a stock block and trans. Paxton tuner kit from Beefcake does seem to be the best bang for buck. 600+ rwhp @ around 8lbs boost. I think it will be an easier install also. I hope anyway because I think I'm going in that direction.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
It doesn't matter Superchargers are still on the fastest cars in the world like it or not. When a car with a turbo can run 4sec at well over 300 plus then talk to me.

Holy nut swing!! You must drive a NHRA top fuel car on the street right?

People are talking on the street her my friend not an all out drag car that runs on nitromethane. JESUS, people like you get old. This guy has probably never been in a fast turbo car or centri car.

As for info on the procharger kit. I had one about a year ago on my car before I did the hellion TT kit. I mustang say the install instructions and design of the procharger kit, (besides he front crank pulley) is superb. You can literally put the procharger kit on and be driving in about 4hrs. It was a very easy install! Very easy! But like some have said the the base intercooler isn't the greatest and the intake placement isn't the best also. But my blower kept leaking and they sent me three new blowers in about 500 miles of deiving and they all leaked so,i got my money back. Here is a pic of when I had my procharger

70a022eb.jpg

41a78c1a.jpg

c0eeee84.jpg

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Im not new to hp. I had a turbo 1985 mustang coupe. Made 543 to the wheels. Was a blast but pushed stock block past capabilities.
I dont have anything but the 12 gt right now. Busa is gone.turbo fox is gone. Just wanting a nice kick when I punch it.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Im not new to hp. I had a turbo 1985 mustang coupe. Made 543 to the wheels. Was a blast but pushed stock block past capabilities.
I dont have anything but the 12 gt right now. Busa is gone.turbo fox is gone. Just wanting a nice kick when I punch it.

Op, why not FRPP/whipple kit? Just throwing another option out there to make your decision even harder, lol...

nicksender

Established Member
Holy nut swing!! You must drive a NHRA top fuel car on the street right?

People are talking on the street her my friend not an all out drag car that runs on nitromethane. JESUS, people like you get old. This guy has probably never been in a fast turbo car or centri car.

As for info on the procharger kit. I had one about a year ago on my car before I did the hellion TT kit. I mustang say the install instructions and design of the procharger kit, (besides he front crank pulley) is superb. You can literally put the procharger kit on and be driving in about 4hrs. It was a very easy install! Very easy! But like some have said the the base intercooler isn't the greatest and the intake placement isn't the best also. But my blower kept leaking and they sent me three new blowers in about 500 miles of deiving and they all leaked so,i got my money back. Here is a pic of when I had my procharger

70a022eb.jpg

41a78c1a.jpg

c0eeee84.jpg

I agree that Procharger makes a nice quick installing complete system; but after all these years they still can't fix leaking head unit issues that happen more often that they should for the money. I had one on my 95 Cobra as I liked the self-contained unit and intercooler set-up. I had two head units leak. One replaced under warranty and the other leaking when I traded the car in. :(

If I was going for a Centri unit for a current 5.0 I would definitely recommend a Paxton or Vortech system.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It doesn't matter Superchargers are still on the fastest cars in the world like it or not. When a car with a turbo can run 4sec at well over 300 plus then talk to me.

OK.. they could do that right now but the rules in the class won't allow it.
Not sure what race cars like that have to do with daily drivers anyway...

Terminator2

Established Member
This always becomes a pissing match. Just do a search and choose.
Oh and as for turbos being more effecient ect ect.
Top fuel and funny cars run blowers and there the fastest in the world.

Be that as it may turbos are still more efficient but back on topic. OP I think either way you will be happy some say the TVS makes more low end torque but all the dyno sheets of the TVS vs the centri blowers I have seen seem to show about the same torque curve and peak torque if dyno, boost and mods are the same for comparison purposes.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
When you decide which you'd like to go with give me a shout. I can give you a killer deal on either.

We get some of the best deals from these company's since we're an installation facility and we like to pass it on to our customers :)

D.T.R

Established Member

For one, NHRA's rules outlaw turbochargers. Why, I don't know. So they have to use a supercharger.
Second, they are unsafe for that application. Because the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens, the hot burning nitromethane would hit the turbine wheel of a turbo. This would NOT be a good thing, as there aren't any materials yet made that could withstand the heat of burning nitromethane (it's much hotter than burning gasoline or diesel), and the extremely high RPMs (upwards of 175,000 for the largest turbocharger made, to make the boost necessary for 7000hp)

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Here is a vid of me running a vortech car on my 93 tune. The TVS on E85 is just a monster. Im on the 82mm pulley and I wouldnt swap out for the world. The only centri kit I would consider is the Paxton truthfully. I am not a big fan of the procharger setup. The TQ hit of the TVS is awesome and even spinning 3rd gear on the hit with 3.31s my car is a monster from a roll.

[youtube_browser]QBLLN6hVxY8[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
^ditto...tvs has proven to be quickest at or under 10#...above 10# centri and turbo have the advantage bc tvs at the moment can only pulley down to 14# I believe.

If I was going for 750+ I would go paxton hands down...proven and easier to dial in. Turbos can be a headache to dial in.

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I went with the procharger stage 2 setup with the polished d1sc head unit, polished bracket, red race bypass, t-bolt clamps, ati balancer, custom oil seperator, bap, 75lb injectors, spark plugs, and a lund dyno tune. It should make low 600whp and 500ft lbs like any other blower on 9psi. Having said that I've probably spent 1500-2000 more than a pax on/vortech/roush setup but its what I wanted. If my car was auto I would have went with the tvs. With my car being stick and on a 19" radial I didn't want the instant hit of the tvs.
I'll be sure to make a thread with results when its all done.

A302

Established Member
Grinding the front cover really was not a big deal. If you ever removed the the blower it wouldn't even be noticeable. I chose the TVS. I can run mid to high ten second range with just the blower an 82mm pulley, off road pipe and drag radials. No gear change necessary or need for a stall converter. If wanted to run faster than high nines, I would go with a Paxton set up for sure.

3 oh 2

Established Member
im going with roush tvs i order evolution performance 700hp kit i was undecided if to get brenspeed 650 hp kit but evo gave me a better deal on their kit

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
^ditto...tvs has proven to be quickest at or under 10#...above 10# centri and turbo have the advantage bc tvs at the moment can only pulley down to 14# I believe.

If I was going for 750+ I would go paxton hands down...proven and easier to dial in. Turbos can be a headache to dial in.

How are turbos hard to dial in?

zemog255

Established Member
If I didn't stumble across such a good deal on my stage 2 Procharger, I would have went with the Beefcake special Paxton setup. There is just so much potiential with that kit for the price and even if it wasn't cheap. The install looks to be more difficult than the procharger but not horrible.

Im happy with the procharger. The install was very simple. I'd rather do tha again than exhaust. I'm only pushing 8lbs but still trapping 127mph automatic full weight 19s up front 18's out back with some major traction issues. I have a set of racestars now to take care of traction. I see alot of people talk about the roots blowers having instant hit but I have plenty of traction issues with my "lagging" centri blower I don't need any more of a hit especially on the street.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
In high boost apps...launch control. At least I had a tough time dialing in my last single turbo LSx.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Idk. Ive seen the amount of material that needs to be removed from the timing chain covers. Kinda leary....

The amount of material that has to be removed is very minimal and has to effect on the integrity of the timing cover. Roush has been doing this for 3 years with one single issue.
I did mine in 30 minutes. When looking at it you can't even tell it was done. Proper tools make the job easy.
The Paxton is a nice set up too. It all depends on what you want.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Grinding the front cover really was not a big deal. If you ever removed the the blower it wouldn't even be noticeable. I chose the TVS. I can run mid to high ten second range with just the blower an 82mm pulley, off road pipe and drag radials. No gear change necessary or need for a stall converter. If wanted to run faster than high nines, I would go with a Paxton set up for sure.

when i get back from Bahrain I am going to take my car into the 9s on the TVS and im going to try to do it on the 79mm pulley :rockon:. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread