Sold my GT350R, bought something a bit faster...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

I see some DSSV dampers in there. Cool

Tob correct me if I'm wrong, but when talking to the team above, they simply stated it doesn't need the FPC to make the power they need. On top of that, I'd assume there is increased running costs with FPC and/or less reliability (thinking about the extra vibrations that come along with the FPC).

Interesting

Not needing it for the power seems like a b.s. excuse. Reliability issues if true, is sort of a let down. Ford is very proud of the voodoo. Not racing it is a bit of a disappointment.

Still an awesome looking and sounding car nonetheless.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've wanted this to happen for so long. I know I'll never see the car in person but I feel like there must be some sort of cosmic convincing that happened where I sent you enough positive rays to make you buy one. I can finally die happy.

I love the GT4 Mustangs, great choice. Not even comparable to the GT350R, the GT4 is WAY out of its league.

@AustinJ427 still waiting for my adoption paperwork in the mail..

I missed this mention some how lol sorry.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Not needing it for the power seems like a b.s. excuse. Reliability issues if true, is sort of a let down. Ford is very proud of the voodoo. Not racing it is a bit of a disappointment.

Unless the race teams saw some issues during engine teardown at the end of the season, I don't understand how reliability was an issue. I don't recall any Voodoos letting go during the 1 or 2 seasons the GT350R-C raced. I remember one race they had some electronics issues with one of the cars.

I was glad to see the GT4 come along, but also sad to see the GT350R-C be so short-lived.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Unless the race teams saw some issues during engine teardown at the end of the season, I don't understand how reliability was an issue. I don't recall any Voodoos letting go during the 1 or 2 seasons the GT350R-C raced. I remember one race they had some electronics issues with one of the cars.

I was glad to see the GT4 come along, but also sad to see the GT350R-C be so short-lived.
I believe they switched to cross plane the 2nd season. I posted on IG that i overheard the owner of cortex racing (Filip) say that the crank needed replacement after every race. GT4 is an evolution of the GT350R-C. Probably faster and better in every way.

Very competitive series, look at the competition:
https://european.gt4series.com/cars

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Sweet car. Looks badass!

Interesting that that it doesn't use a flatplane crank.

For GT4 they're limited to 450 BHP, so using an engine which can rev higher at the cost of more vibration and more complexity is a net negative vs a proven design which can make 100% power across a 3000-RPM powerband. It's not great for marketing, but it's a totally rational choice for winning races.

coposrv

Established Member
For GT4 they're limited to 450 BHP, so using an engine which can rev higher at the cost of more vibration and more complexity is a net negative vs a proven design which can make 100% power across a 3000-RPM powerband. It's not great for marketing, but it's a totally rational choice for winning races.

That makes pretty good sense.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob correct me if I'm wrong, but when talking to the team above, they simply stated it doesn't need the FPC to make the power they need. On top of that, I'd assume there is increased running costs with FPC and/or less reliability (thinking about the extra vibrations that come along with the FPC).

First off - looks like we we were both at Road Atlanta and missed each other. The photos I took and uploaded to Photobucket...
http://s772.photobucket.com/user/Tobphotobucket/library/Kohr Racing GT4 car?sort=3&page=1

The risk associated with the FPC 5.2L engine in a race environment just isn't necessary. The GT4 Mustang engines from Roush/Yates have a flat power curve in a pretty wide range as opposed to the way the 5.2L FPC engines performed in the GT350-RC cars. That is not to say the the FPC engine didn't do well as it is all about perspective I suppose.

See you at RA this year!

I believe they switched to cross plane the 2nd season. I posted on IG that i overheard the owner of cortex racing (Filip) say that the crank needed replacement after every race. GT4 is an evolution of the GT350R-C. Probably faster and better in every way.

I believed the FPC was used in both the '15 and '16 GT350R-C cars.

I cannot say specifically that the crankshafts were replaced after every race but I was told that the engines were torn down and gone through as frequently as every race.

I would agree that the GT4 cars are indeed an improvement over the earlier, GT350R-C cars. It kills me to see them choked for air and carrying additional weight but that is what the sanctioning body feels is best for the series.

This.

08mojo

Established Member
See you at RA this year!

Thanks for sharing the pics! Hope to see you at RA this year. I'm heading there this weekend for the Mitty. For Petit, we are the crew setup in the last 3 spots going into turn 7. Here's my pics from last year's race (definitely from a spectator's point of view, unlike yours!):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141269969@N02/w5A5u2

merkyworks

Established Member
Read in an article another reason race teams aren't building engines with a FPC is due to race flywheel/clutch options. Apparently the options are limited or something.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I don't know, that beast isn't street legal. I have to object indeed. Now you won't have a fun corner carver to drive on the streets... *I say jokingly* ;)

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

The FPC won the season championship CTSC in the GT350RC (Billy Johnson/Scott Maxwell) when they raced it. They were reliable but they did crack exhausts.

Users who are viewing this thread