The GT350 is here!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Absolutely.
Bear in mind that even if they pull some weight out of it and get it to 3750#, it would have to make ~645 hp to have the same horsepower to weight ratio as a '13/'14.

But it'll clearly handle very well, and the brakes look to be very impressive (although CCB's like the Z28 has would be better), so it'll handily beat the GT500 in those metrics.
S.

CC brakes would be great for the track, but not so great for the street. From what I hear they are actually fairly noisy/squeaky for daily driving duty and really need some heat (lots of hard braking) to work at their best. Ford said this car is for driving the back roads during the week and track toy on some weekends. I'm hoping an "R" model takes that spot though.

jtfx6552

Established Member
IMO you're being pretty generous.
Compare to what the current '15 GT with 435 hp is running...high 12's in the ~112 mph range in magazine testing. Figure ~70 more hp, similar weight, and I don't see them running much quicker than mid-12's in the 115 mph range. Obviously, in private hands in good air they'll run quicker. But never 11.2-.3 at 127-128 mph.
S.
I was probably too generous, didn't realize the new ones were running so slow. I revise to a little better than your estimate, but still a slow 117ish at 12.2 in the 1/4 on street tires.

jtfx6552

Established Member
CC brakes would be great for the track, but not so great for the street. From what I hear they are actually fairly noisy/squeaky for daily driving duty and really need some heat (lots of hard braking) to work at their best. Ford said this car is for driving the back roads during the week and track toy on some weekends. I'm hoping an "R" model takes that spot though.

I really don't want to spend a grand per rotor...

Deranged2013

Established Member
Yeah im surprised all the negative about a flat plane Crank. Everyone is saying 500hp but its 500+. Might be 520 might be 550. Either way for an all motor car that is awesome.

Agreed. I'm excited as hell about this car. But for all those that are disappointed, don't get to upset. There will be a halo model coming for the horsepower hungry folks. Ford is not done yet.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I'd like to see what hellion can do with one of these. Not alot of boost( although I believe it can take it) but enough to offer a nice bump in power. If the top dog is too expensive then I will probably be all over this in a couple of years when the funds are right.

xenodragon

Established Member
Yeah.
It's going to be over 200 ft.lb. shy of a '13/'14 GT500, so that's going to leave a mark in terms of acceleration.

Dare I say it'll be about as quick as a Boss Mustang?
S.

What did the boss run? The m3/m4 has similar Torque ans less HP and there are stock ones running in the 11s. They weigh ~3500 lbs

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I have been saying it for MONTHS now, the HP war is over. Ford is going to re-write the direction of the muscle wars with the GT350. The HP battle was only sustainable for so long, history is repeating itself and now Ford is setting the market.

This car is going to be a beast.

GM has been doing it for years with the 1LE, ZL1, and Z28. Ford is playing follow the leader in a well rounded car.

I do think this is the best looking S550 by far. Depending on price I may even consider one. To me this car will best the 1LE and fall short of the track oriented Z28. I hope pricing stays in the $50K's.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
What did the boss run? The m3/m4 has similar Torque ans less HP and there are stock ones running in the 11s. They weigh ~3500 lbs

It's common for low 12 high 11's out of a stock Boss, but also factor in they weighed less than the S550 platform. With the bigger brakes, wider wheels and tires, wider body, electronics, etc, i don't see the GT350 weighing less than a new GT, if not a little heavier. The Boss was under 3650lbs. Gearing and traction are a big part of the 1/4 time also. Ford has always put undersized tires on the mustang.

Last edited:

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
I guess the planet where I have 662 hp in a showroom Mustang that I track the hell out of on a regular basis.
Whether or not it's NA to me is somewhat irrelevant, because Ford did a GREAT job of controlling IAT's in the '13/'14 GT500. But IMO this car is 50-100 hp short of where I would have liked it to have been an will possibly be a few hundred pounds too heavy. It will be a pleasant surprise if we learn that it weighs ~3500#, but not sure that is a realistic expectation.
S.

I SAID SHOWROOM N/A.. well my main point was exactly what alot of folks keep doing.. comparing it to GT500. different car for different type of buyer. NA vs S/C powerplants.

I myself still prefer S/C'd mustangs over NA because i am a TQ junkie but i dont see how any true Ford fan can put this car down in any way (at least until the pricing is announced)

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
GM The leader..... and you dub Camaro's ? No.

The only thing cutting edge in the GM brand is the Corvette.
COPO came AFTER The Cobra Jet
1LE came AFTER the Boss
ZL1 came AFTER the GT500
z/28 was GM's 10 year late response to Ford Building a dedicated track car in the 2000 Cobra R.
Now with the new GT350 ford is going to be somewhat close in handling (Probaly a few seconds slower on track times) and it still have Daily Creature comforts for 15k less than the Z/28 which is essentially a donor body for leftover LS7's

GM has copy catted Ford since the beginning. The only thing I respect GM for is having a 2 seater sports car for all these years, even though until early 2000's they were a joke.

Oh and to those that think the GT350 is going to out straight line a 13/14 GT500. Seriously guys ?! C'mon now! if the gt500 spins it's ass off is the only way that happens.

I think they'd be a good race for a full bolt on N/A e85 CJ Coyote ;)

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

Colleton

Established Member
High 60s loaded is too high IMHO. Loaded with all the track pack goodies it should be a few K higher loaded than a loaded Boss, What was the Laguna Seca edition the last year it was offered?

A loaded '15 Premium GT is over 45K. I don't see this car being any less expensive than the '13/'14 GT500. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.

Dare I say it'll be about as quick as a Boss Mustang?

I think it's going to make the Boss look slow.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I think it's going to make the Boss look slow.
Straightline they'll probably be similar if the GT350 ends up weighing close to what a '15 GT weighs.
On track the GT350 should easily be faster. It'll have more grip, IRS, far better brakes, etc..
S.

Colleton

Established Member
Yeah, I should have said "around a track". From the little info we have it doesn't seem to be a quarter mile car at all, and I'm OK with that.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Very very impressed with what Ford is doing here. I guarantee that the R&D done for the 5.2l engine will NOT be used strictly for the GT350. I think it will be one of the first in a long line of absolutely WICKED Ford Shelby/SVT mustangs.

Just remember, this is 500+ horsepower NATURALLY ASPIRATED. Lexus, for all its ties to Yamaha and Yamaha engineered heads for its 5.0L in the RC-F, got a max of 465 hp out of it. And here Ford got 500+? Thats simply incredible, and just a start for what the tuners of the world will undoubtedly do with this car. I cant imagine Ford not building any overhead into the engine. My guess is the R version of this car will be over 550+. Very VERY good numbers for NA AND 5 year 60,000 mile standard Ford powertrain warranty!

This car IS NOT supposed to go head to head with the 13-14 GT500s. This car's business is around a road course. My gut says the 1/4 mile Halo car is coming. The sooner the better!

While Ill be in the market for a used 2011-2012 GT500 myself, THIS version of the S550 is stunning. Literally changes my view on how I feel about the LOOK of the S550. Subtle changes they may be, they seriously give the GT350 a new attitude look and I like it!

Proud to be a Ford guy, simply giddy for the future of Ford Racing, and SVT Shelby Mustangs!

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
Regarding the M4 comparison, they've been dynoing low 400's rwhp so while they're rated at 425 HP, they are probably really making an actual crank HP of maybe 475ish.

The M4 is the car I'll be gauging the GT350 against, and so far I favor the Ford MUCH more! Also, try and find an M4 for less than 74k anywhere. Dealers don't carry base models early on in the model role out these days, or so I've noticed and been told....

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Oh and to those that think the GT350 is going to out straight line a 13/14 GT500. Seriously guys ?! C'mon now! if the gt500 spins it's ass off is the only way that happens.

I don't think it will beat the 500 in the 1/4 but i believe it will be more competitive than people are willing to admit. The Gt500 is fast on paper but has always under performed for the amount of power it has. Simply put, its a overpowered car with more weight in the front than an f-150 4door, pizza cutter sized rear tires and horrible clutch protection software. This is why other vehicles do more with less power.

All the chest beating about having 662hp and 200mph has gotten old. :sleeping: Its about time ford came out with all around performance vehicle for the 21st century.

jonesd

Established Member
If the gt350 matches the C7 price (55-60k starting range); then the track performance should match or surpass the C7 too IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread