Votes: 19 10.0%
  • OTHER (what brand)

Votes: 28 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I have been researching this and I think the new DSS one seems to be the one to beat but I would like input from those with experience. Which would you purchase and why?????

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I have the DSS, but I've never had the others. I really can't say which is best, but I have had zero trouble with my DSS shaft and zero vibration up past 130.

casper gt

Established Member
I have a shaftmasters in mine but have had both a dss & axle exchange shaft in my hands but never installed.

I chose the shaftmasters unit over the others for the quality of the piece itself & that it didn't use any cumbersome adaptors/flanges/etc.

I would consider a dss unit if I had no other choice, but not an axle exchange one, the reason being is the whole pinion flange b/s.

while I don't mind the thought of going with a more mainstream flange than the o.e. piece, anyone who markets a product like thiers & isn't honest enough to tell the buyer it's a bad idea to just swap out a yoke with no mention of crushsleves/seals/gear setup is a little dis-honest in my book.

plus a 4" d/s can cause clearance issues in some applications.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Shaftmasters.

Why?

1) because it comes with EVERYTHING in the kit. Including loctite and a tap to get the old loctite out of the bolt holes.
2) super fast shipping even though its built upon your order
3) cheaper by a little bit
4) no weird adaptors like someone alredy said. Made specifically for our cars.

Have had mine on for a couple of months now, can really feel the cars power be more directly put to use. Feels like it gained ~20whp on the butt dyno.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Shaftmasters here, they even lowered my price for being a return customer...Dss is good also but you have to wait 3 weeks for it...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
i have a DSS carbon fiber shaft. The carbon fiber looks pretty gross but it's an extremely nice quality shaft that performs perfectly.

The car rides really good on the highway at 70+mph speeds. At 100+mph speeds it's vibration free.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have a shaftmasters in mine but have had both a dss & axle exchange shaft in my hands but never installed.

I chose the shaftmasters unit over the others for the quality of the piece itself & that it didn't use any cumbersome adaptors/flanges/etc.

I would consider a dss unit if I had no other choice, but not an axle exchange one, the reason being is the whole pinion flange b/s.

while I don't mind the thought of going with a more mainstream flange than the o.e. piece, anyone who markets a product like thiers & isn't honest enough to tell the buyer it's a bad idea to just swap out a yoke with no mention of crushsleves/seals/gear setup is a little dis-honest in my book.

plus a 4" d/s can cause clearance issues in some applications.

I can see you don't have much experience in the field by this comment. This is no problem with changing out a pinion flange regarding your complaints. Have done this many times and not a single issue with 15 years in the field. I'm also a Ford master tech and nobody else does it any different. Don't flame or talk shit about a company when you obviously lack automotive mechanics and knowledge

Last edited:

908ssp

Established Member
I predict in few years you wont see any so called one piece drive-shafts with two U joints and a huge sliding joint in between. That was poor design with numerous problems from day one. I have seen loads of threads complaining about the vibration issues. The slightest play in the sliding joint and the drive shaft is junk.

I asked three years ago why no one was using a CV joint and now they are. A single CV joint eliminates the sliding joint making the shaft truly one piece. And eliminates the need for aligning the rear end. Lighter, stronger, and free of vibration.

ebrow21

Established Member
I have a DSS, no vibration thus far, and no install issues. Waiting a month after purchase for it to ship was a bit annoying, but worth it in the end. I've used their products in Honda's I've owned as well, and have had good luck.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Honda is another story. I ran DSS stage 2.9 in my turbo '00 si and both outer CV joints failed before even getting to the track (under 100 miles). They did repair them free of charge though, so product support was not a problem.

SD_Stang

Established Member
908 I take it your talking about DSS version? My Axle Exchange DS has a vibration in it around 75 at stock height and with springs I have an adjustable 3rd link and have not been able to adjust the vibration away. I'm seriously consdiering the DSS version.

D.T.R

Established Member
what I can't wrap my head around is the pricing. Why are other older mustangs paying less than $250 for a single piece drive shaft, while we have to pay triple that? seems a little excessive... unless there is something in the design of these drive shafts that I'm missing.

01bluesnake

Established Member
what I can't wrap my head around is the pricing. Why are other older mustangs paying less than $250 for a single piece drive shaft, while we have to pay triple that? seems a little excessive... unless there is something in the design of these drive shafts that I'm missing.

The cars are new, and carry a higher price tag, so people tend to think they can charge 3x more for the same product as another car. Its the 5.0 name that is making everything more. There is more design that does go into these, but pricing seems to have jumped with the demand of aluminum driveshafts.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
so just because the car is new, even tho there is nothing more sophisticated about these drive shafts, they feel they can charge triple the price? that's pretty fk'd up

Bud

Established Member
I really wanted the DSS piece but after 2 months of delay on production/shipping I settled for the Dynatech. Haven't had any issues with it so far, 1.51 60's and been over 130mph with no vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread