Votes: 19 10.0%
  • OTHER (what brand)

Votes: 28 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
DSS carbon shaft has performed flawlessly, I didn't even try to remove any of the factory Loctite and the black adapter disc plate it comes with tapped in with ease and its been vibration free up to 140+.

Also several drag type launches w/o any issues-tons of bumps too, and i'm sure I've had it at full rebound under power where that cv gets close to binding up yet still no issues.

and its only 20.2lbs!

you really cant go wrong with the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft. simply put, it's amazing

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

Your right. I have had two diff DS in my car and by far the PST was the best.
But I experianced annoying backlash when on and off the gas and a slit thud when coming to a stop with a 1 piece.
I have posted up many of times about these 1 piece DS. There's no way in hell anyone can tell me that there car is as smooth as with the factory DS in place. Ford uses the 2 piece shaft to fix/bandade so many small problems that are experianced with the one peice.

Most guys never noitice these problems due to loud exhaust, noisey rear suspension, loud radio, ect.

I will say this though these cars are faster with the lighter DS.

Yes DSS or PST. I bought a PST because they were the first DS available with a CV joint and it has worked perfect for me. I think the DSS might be even be better I like the way they mount the CVC joint end a bit better than PST.

Any company can have the occasional quality issue it is pain but if they straighten things out then we can live with that. But a design with all too common problems needs to disappear. Those sliding joints are a chronic failure point. The slightest play in that joint means the shaft isn't straight anymore and can't be expected to run without vibration. Plus the universal joint needs to run parallel with each other but people are told to run out of parallel so they are a parallel under load which means they aren't parallel when cruising causing vibration issues.

My PST
IMG_1620.jpg

Properly aligned universal joints

2joint_angle.gif

DTL

Established Member
Does anybody know what the weight difference is between an aluminum DS and a carbon one? Is it enough to justify the price jump?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
There isn't much of a weight difference between carbon and aluminum shafts, 1-2 pounds. The reason to go with carbon is for the significantly higher torsional strength.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Please elaborate?

You can see the bulk price of aluminum and how it has changed over the past 10 years in this link. It has shifted from approximately 3 times down to about 1.5 currently.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=aluminum&months=120

Whether or not you want to believe it or not CVs are labor intensive and expensive to manufacture.

What is your background in regards to manufacturing and material sourcing?

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
But I experianced annoying backlash when on and off the gas and a slit thud when coming to a stop with a 1 piece.
I have posted up many of times about these 1 piece DS. There's no way in hell anyone can tell me that there car is as smooth as with the factory DS in place.

have you tried a dynotech? I recently installed their 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and have been shocked at how amazing my car drives. I didnt realize how terrible the stock ds was. It goes into gear sooo much easier, especially on downshifts, and the car feels so much lighter and nimble, couldnt be happier. There might be an increase in noise, but I have a full exhaust, cant hear $hit anyway :lol1:

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Sounds like dynotech maybe the one for me. No wait time and no special tools or adaptors toile it work right? What is weight saving? Does the multiple someway since its a rotational mass deal? Anyone "ACTUALLY" see any real life gains with just this mod only?

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

I think the Dyno Tech uses a slip yoke. This is why there's less noise when going in and out of gear it's able to slid back and fourth. When u put the car in gear the motor and trans moves up or down just a little and the slack provided by the slip yoke is welcomed. The slip yoke is awesome for this reason only. The problem with a slip yoke is that after time slack builds up in the splines and then u get runout. Basically when it's new the tolerances are tight and after time there not and thats when problems start. You can not balance something if it has play in it or runout. This with a universal joint is the reason some guys have the dreaded vibration at high speeds.

The problem with D/S that don't use a slip yoke is that there unforgiving and u hear every little bang in and out of gear or even when the car is down shifting.

Ford back in the day had a service bulletin on trucks and cars that stated to remove the D/S and libricate the splines/ slip yoke with heavy special grease.
This was there fix for a bad design problem but after 5-10k miles the noise was back.

IMOP the fix is what Ford has done with the new Shelby DS. There are two C/V joints with built in Dampners for NVH. This D/S has smooth movement and also has a little movement in and out which is needed.
UOTE=burnin4;12042941]have you tried a dynotech? I recently installed their 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and have been shocked at how amazing my car drives. I didnt realize how terrible the stock ds was. It goes into gear sooo much easier, especially on downshifts, and the car feels so much lighter and nimble, couldnt be happier. There might be an increase in noise, but I have a full exhaust, cant hear $hit anyway :lol1:[/QUOTE]

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We've run a number of driveshafts in out cars.

I've never had an issue with DSS or Dynotech.

I personally prefer Dynotech since they ship within 2 days and they seem to take our 1100rwhp clutch dumps.

Aaron

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
I have a DynaTech and love it, I like it a whole lot better than the stock shit thats for sure, no Vibrations no hassle and it looks awful pretty under my car.

mazroth

Established Member
Dynotech here, had my longtubes installed for 200, couldn't pass up the sale price of the dynotech at Brenspeed at the time, so it went on too. This was back in Dec. 2010.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Dynotech also here. No vibrations and about 5k miles on it right now.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Dynotech would be the best driveshaft out. There's a reason it holds a higher price tag than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread