Why is it that sh!t cars think they can beat a 1993 Cobra?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ srt-4 cars arent to be taken lightly if you have a stock car from the early 90's.
I was surprised a caliber srt4 was keeping up with me from a roll @ 70-135 in my cai ls2 GTO. I didn't get to ask what mods but i have a feeling it was a stage 1 upgrade.
Mopar has stages for their factory FI cars.

Ithnu

Established Member
You know I started this thread as kinda of a joke. But it turned out to provide me some incite on what my 1993 will become. I do appreciate the input and enjoyed the trash talk. I'm more of a mountain biker/snowboarder than a car guy. I'm Ithnu across any forum I'm in. Check out TGR forums if you want to see some shit talk. ;)

The Internet has spoken and I have decided it will stay stock. I figure if I went through the trouble last year to go to a junk yard to find a tape deck that works I was already on that track. That was an ordeal as the stock amp had fried and I had to pull the passenger seat out and rewire it to the tape deck I took out of a Tempo. It came with exhaust and subframe connectors and I added 3.55s. It'll stay that way now.

Hybbs

Established Member
A stock 93 cobra may be relatively slow compared to what is coming out of Detroit today. But I sure would love to have one. IMO, the best looking Fox body, especially the red ones. Keep it stock, find a low mileage 03-04 Cobra, and mod it and make 450-500 rwhp and beat up on just about anything out there... Just my opinion...

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
Guys, the Cobra is not as slow as some think. I had 2 a teal and a vibrant red. I have seen a lot of cars at the track not run what my almost stock Cobra ran. You get some tires keep the race down to around a 1/8th and you will do great. A blower, exhaust, and a tune would put your Cobra in the high 7's in the 1/8th
The Teal Cobra
Shorty Headers and H-pipe
A9L - Computer "yes they run better with a GT computer"
3.55 gears
Slicks
8.43 in the 1/8th

Red Cobra
Vortech - H/C/ extrud honed factory intake
Full length headers and full exhaust
C-4 and a 3500 stall
Full suspension
6.56 in the 1/8th

Kiohtee

Established Member
If want to hurt feelings on a budget, just sell it and buy a LS1 Camaro/Trans Am.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Back in 99 or so, I had a friend who had a 28k mile 93 Cobra with 3.55's, full exhaust (I think), phenolic spacer on the intake, CAI, and pullies. I ran consistent 13.20's in it on street tires (for some reason he liked letting me race it as I was quicker in it). That was one of the easiest cars to drag race I've ever driven. At the time I had a modded 99 Z28, believe I had 4.10's, hotcam, catback, airlid, and a Hypertech tuner.

Ithnu

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I am definitely going to leave the 1993 as is. Then in a year or two I want to get a 2015+.

Then I just saw this in the local Denver craigslist. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4637648933.html $2500 for an untouched great shape 1985 GT! Makes me want to run to the bank right now, put the thing in storage and decide what to do with it later. I'm going to need a bigger garage.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you wanna keep it cheap and still keep your cobra in stock trim throw a dry shot of nos on it trust me you will put most of those little shits in the rear view mirror with a 125hp shot of love. BTW sweet car!

this .....

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I think leaving the Cobra stock is your best bet. You did say however opening the engine to do a H/C/I set up is 'opening a can of worms', but I would disagree. I put a TFS top end kit on my old '90 GT. Never tuned it and just ran it with those parts for like five years. Put a hurtin' on A LOT of cars (took its fair share too though). Those 5.0L engines can take a beating.

geoffc

Established Member
I've never really understood having a car for the collectibility. I guess if you just want it for future resale or just to say you have one.
But I think cars are meant to be driven. My 93 Cobra has a 331 with a 70mm turbo. I rarely drive it and when I do, it's only to work and back. So it doesn't see any big dawg competition, but it's destroyed everything that's wanted to run.
To be honest though, my brother's bolt-on 93 Cobra is much nicer to drive than mine and just as fun. If you wanna make your car fast, then make it fast. Relatively speaking, foxbodies still give a tremendous bang for the buck value when it comes to modding.

Ithnu

Established Member
I've never really understood having a car for the collectibility.

I had a 1986 GT in high school in the late 90s. I always wanted the 93 Cobra but I was 16. Now I have it! Sometimes I just have a beer and look at it. :)

It's strange the turn this thread took; but I'm glad it did. Sometimes the posts in the Fox specific areas get biased.

93 svt

03 ROUSH stage 3
Established Member
The way I see it is you have a nice looking 93' cobra. He has a POS dodge caliber. srt-4 or not its still a dodge. However if you bought that car for power and to blow the doors off others your in the wrong car. I have had 2 of them both with minor bolt on, suspension and exhaust. Mod another car for the power and keep your cobra clean.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Again I have a non contender; Dodge Caliber SRT. I looked up the specs, not too bad. 14.4 1/4 mile. Similar to the stock 1993 Cobra. He probably thought it was a stock 5.0; so in that case he would have won assuming similar driving ability. But it's a Cobra and I have 3.55 gears plus exhaust.

But wait...it gets funny. So he's in front of me at the light, how do you race right? We just drive away at the green. I think he must have noticed me and suddenly I hear his coffee can muffler start making that horrible fart noise. I didn't think he even floored it at first as he's not really pulling away. Then I see a puff of blue smoke and just laugh. At one time it might have been a quick car but burning oil in a car around 5 years old means it's already on the down slope.

I think I need a low psi Vortech for that extra 50hp to really stick it to these boners.
Because they can..... An SHO would wipe the floor with your almighty Cobruh

Kiohtee

Established Member
The way I see it is you have a nice looking 93' cobra. He has a POS dodge caliber. srt-4 or not its still a dodge. However if you bought that car for power and to blow the doors off others your in the wrong car. I have had 2 of them both with minor bolt on, suspension and exhaust. Mod another car for the power and keep your cobra clean.

Oh look! Another high and mighty Ford Mustang driver! :nonono:

The Hellcat called... Wanted to know where your lunch money is.

Ithnu

Established Member
Because they can..... An SHO would wipe the floor with your almighty Cobruh

Yo dude brah homey ;) I get it, not saying I'd beat a new 5.0...by any means, at least I knew that right off the bat. I've never even tried to race anyone with it. It has just been a certain type; 4cyc turbos and HO v6s. As I'm relatively new to owning a Mustang again I haven't paid attention to none Mustangs much in the last decade so I'm just curious. And as some one else mentioned before it's because the old 5.0s look like easy targets. And mine is stock and looks like it; but Cobras are a bit faster and when I added 3.55s it was a huge improvement.

I haven't owned even a relatively fast car in a very long time. I drive a Frontier, so the Cobra felt fast. I have now learned it really isn't; but my friends ride mtn bikes, they are not gear heads. I didn't race the Dodge; he just took off in a puff of smoke. I hate those fart mufflers and thought the smoke meant he was burning oil. However another person before explained that's how factory turbos work (but I don't know much about turbos). But now it makes sense. So I figured a Mustang forum was the place to get answers right? Get myself back up to speed on gear head shit I guess. I didn't realize other cars have gotten that fast. :)

After getting some new generation learnin' on here I've decided to keep it stock and not even bother responding to honks, revs and races. Turns out mods won't be worth it, beating on the engine isn't worth it and I'd lose anyway. So I'll just continue on with why I bought it. I love Fox Mustangs and the '93 Cobra is the best looking one.

Last edited:

jpmotorsport

JPMoSpo
Established Member
Your issue is it isn't 2002 anymore, I think these cars have began to enter their collect-ability period (somewhat). And I would definitely say it is a lot sooner than expected. That's what makes these a tough platform to mod. I'd feel the same about a low mileage 94-01, 03-04 Cobra, 2003-4 Mach 1, or 2001 Bullitt - something about seeing a heavily modified one of these, takes away the fun of owning this particular model, IMO of course...

At the time (in 2002) we wouldn't think twice to crank open the bolts, but in 2014 its apparent these are future classics. Hey hindsight as they say and all that

Users who are viewing this thread