"Willing to pay NADA CLEAN TRADE-IN for Terminator

Zemedici

Established Member
I note the few people posting trying to back up OP's claim of 15k whippled cobras all day long have very few posts. You may want to look for a 99-01 cobra or a nice GT.

Wrong website to throw this out and hope it sticks to the wall.

Truth. :beer:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
If you research what the Grand Nationals sold for over the years, you will see Cobras are on the same path. Look at nada on a 87 GN now, $44k that's almost double what these cars sold new!! Low mileage cars will always bring a premium over high mileage. I thought about maybe selling my 04 with 12k miles on it, but I wouldn't take less than $27,500, call me crazy but I don't have to sell it either.

And wtf is this? You quoted high retail, which means what the most recent documented one sold for (no doubt a Barrett/Jackson with 1,000 virgin miles)...avg NADA retail on an 87 GN is 26,800 and they did not sell for $22k new. A GNX stickered for $25k and a regular GN stickered for 16,000 with a hardtop and 18,000 with T-tops/moonroof. I bought one new and had the dealer offer me their first GNX that hit the lot for sticker price.

Your research methods need a little tinkering.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
As a former Cobra owner, I can say the prices to this day are outrageous.

I sold my 10th Anni which was 9/10 exterior, 9/10 interior with 27K miles for 20K. Years later, worse conditioned/higher mileage Cobra's are being listed higher by more demanding owners.

It comes down to what the owner wants to let it go for. Some of them think these cars have engine blocks made of solid gold and feel the high price they are asking is "reasonable" and wonder why the car doesn't move after months.

A Whippled or KB Cobra with 50-60K miles should be between 20-22K depending on condition. Any higher on price, it better have less than 30K miles and be damn near flawless.

Stock or pullied cobra's with 50-60K miles should be high teens at most. Yet, people still has for low-mid 20's for them.

Keep an eye out as there are people that are not "greedy" and do price out clean, tastefully modded Cobra's to move and not to sit waiting for that one buyer that just may come along. I knew what my Cobra was worth based on market value and what people wanted to pay for them since I wanted to sell it.

MonteSS

My buddy just bought an 03 Black Coupe with an 2.8KB with 62,000 miles on the clock for $16,500. It's built fairly well, but it needs a return fuel setup, bigger injectors and to ditch the KB boost a pump. Should cost about 2 grand to do that, so figure $18,500. Probably going to go with IRS bushings down the road as well.

Either way, nice cars are out there if you can find the seller who wants to get rid of them.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
As a former Cobra owner, I can say the prices to this day are outrageous.

I sold my 10th Anni which was 9/10 exterior, 9/10 interior with 27K miles for 20K. Years later, worse conditioned/higher mileage Cobra's are being listed higher by more demanding owners.

It comes down to what the owner wants to let it go for. Some of them think these cars have engine blocks made of solid gold and feel the high price they are asking is "reasonable" and wonder why the car doesn't move after months.

A Whippled or KB Cobra with 50-60K miles should be between 20-22K depending on condition. Any higher on price, it better have less than 30K miles and be damn near flawless.

Stock or pullied cobra's with 50-60K miles should be high teens at most. Yet, people still has for low-mid 20's for them.

Keep an eye out as there are people that are not "greedy" and do price out clean, tastefully modded Cobra's to move and not to sit waiting for that one buyer that just may come along. I knew what my Cobra was worth based on market value and what people wanted to pay for them since I wanted to sell it.

Your GT is nice, but I don't think I could have ever parted with a TR 10th. That was my 2nd choice after Screaming Yellow. In fact, it was those two choices or nothing for me.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
6 more trashed off the supply side of the ledger

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1057552-6-less-Terminators

make them prospective buyers squeal! lol

1234567_zpsepkwpfnx.gif

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly don't even know what I'd ask for price if I ever listed it for sale. I guess I never give it much thought because I'm not selling it! But it does have a tick under 27k miles, with some nice mods! So what do you guys think it's worth? LOL.

af_one

Established Member
Well we are glad that you gave your cobra away. But the fact is that these are now specialty vehicles. With fewer and fewer of them the price will stay in the 20+ range with less than 50k miles. And the reason they are on the forum for so long is not that they are priced to high. Its that not everyone is looking for a 03-04 cobra. Most people just think they cool GT mustangs.

I bought a stock 03 with 30k miles off this site last year for $16k. I love terminators, but just like any forum, guys think there cars are worth more than what they bring. And truth is, most guys that list there cars are fishing, or don't really care of they sell them at all. OP, Be patient and search auto trader and other SALE sites and you will fond a car at a fair price

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I bought a stock 03 with 30k miles off this site last year for $16k. I love terminators, but just like any forum, guys think there cars are worth more than what they bring. And truth is, most guys that list there cars are fishing, or don't really care of they sell them at all. OP, Be patient and search auto trader and other SALE sites and you will fond a car at a fair price

How can your logic be correct if for the ONE car you bought for $16k tens or hundreds have been purchased for over $20k? If your theory is correct, the MAJORITY of terminators would have all sold in the teens. Look up the average selling price and you'll that you are wrong. A few people have let theirs go for low amounts, but the MAJORITY of terminators have sold for over $20k, WHICH MEANS the cars are actually bringing more than people think. If what I am saying didnt hold truth, this ENTIRE coversation wouldn't even be happening- everyone would know you pick terminators up for mid teens. Make sense??

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Your GT is nice, but I don't think I could have ever parted with a TR 10th. That was my 2nd choice after Screaming Yellow. In fact, it was those two choices or nothing for me.

I thought the same thing until I got my 5.0.

Granted, my 5.0 lacks the torque and violent feel of my Cobra, it makes up for it with comfort and amenities. My Cobra was modded very well, made 462/486, had full Kenny Brown suspension, upgraded Bilstein Struts/Shocks, etc. It was a great car, handled/braked awesome and had a ton of power. I let it go for financial reasons, but, I don't feel I gave it away.

Screaming Yellow and Comp. Orange are great colors. Too bad people think Comp. Orange Cobra's are worth 30K with 40K+ Miles.

Sad thing is, my friend's brother bought an 04 Comp. Orange vert with 7K miles on it for over $30,000 and it has sat for almost 2 years. He has a garage full of stuff (KB, Exhaust, Suspension, etc) in which is certainly a waste.

landonvan

Established Member
I know KBB is great and all. But just food for thought. My friend just totaled his car 2 weeks ago. Geico gave him $25,100 for the total. he got the paperwork for the damage and how they got the price they did. They go on the internet and find like vehicles with the same miles. Soon WE the market decide the value. And with more and more going to the wrecking yards they are becoming more and more rare. And If an insurance company will shell out 25k for a car I sure as hell am not selling mine for 18K.( BTW his car was an 03 28k miles with a whipple.)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I know KBB is great and all. But just food for thought. My friend just totaled his car 2 weeks ago. Geico gave him $25,100 for the total. he got the paperwork for the damage and how they got the price they did. They go on the internet and find like vehicles with the same miles. Soon WE the market decide the value. And with more and more going to the wrecking yards they are becoming more and more rare. And If an insurance company will shell out 25k for a car I sure as hell am not selling mine for 18K.( BTW his car was an 03 28k miles with a whipple.)

Most insurance companies won't do that. That's why I have collector car insurance (Grundy) so I can set a agreed value. Currently mine is at 28k, but with adding True Forged wheels soon, I may up it to 30k.

EDIT: BTW I don't think KBB is great at all, I hated it especially when I was a car salesman at a Ford dealership.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
^^^ I've had totaled cars.

Too many variations. Depends on the type of coverage he had, modifications, etc. If he had specific show car insurance and paid more for his modifications, they will give him money for those modifications if they are damaged in the accident. Most insurance companies give the fair market value and average it out between KBB, Nada, Black Book and dealer listings to get that number. Right now on NADA, which is common for credit unions/banks to determine fair market value of what these cars are sold for, your friends car has a $17,000 clean retail (Good condition, no flaws, mechanical issues, etc.)

So, yes, my FIRM guess is that your friend was also paid for some modifications in the accident based on a fair value of those as well. The car itself is not worth 25K. My opinion based on having owned/sold a Cobra with less miles and also a harder to find one (TR 10th Anniversary) and seeing what they go for local to me.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Here is an 03 SB 2.8H KB car with 85K miles for under 20K. Needs nothing, very clean.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1056868-2003-sonic-blue-cobra-2-8H-KB

Here is one with 2,600 miles on it for 31.5K. Good deal for the miles/mods.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0-2003-Cobra-Coupe-Black-2-650-miles-604-RWHP

Bolt-on 04 TR Cobra that sold for 25-26K with 7K miles. Clean, nice wheels, tasteful mods. Pretty good price considering.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1052612-04-TR-Cobra-Coupe-For-Sale-in-TX

Here is a built/TT Cobra with 37K miles, super clean for 25K

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1056721-2003-Twin-Turbo-Cobra-For-Sale

Where are these 100K+ mile cars going for low 20's whereas these have way less than half of that for a few grand more?

Zemedici

Established Member
Here is an 03 SB 2.8H KB car with 85K miles for under 20K. Needs nothing, very clean.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1056868-2003-sonic-blue-cobra-2-8H-KB

Here is one with 2,600 miles on it for 31.5K. Good deal for the miles/mods.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0-2003-Cobra-Coupe-Black-2-650-miles-604-RWHP

Bolt-on 04 TR Cobra that sold for 25-26K with 7K miles. Clean, nice wheels, tasteful mods. Pretty good price considering.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1052612-04-TR-Cobra-Coupe-For-Sale-in-TX

Here is a built/TT Cobra with 37K miles, super clean for 25K

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1056721-2003-Twin-Turbo-Cobra-For-Sale

Where are these 100K+ mile cars going for low 20's whereas these have way less than half of that for a few grand more?

Game set match

Blueoval23

Established Member
I personally do not understand this argument. Anything is worth what someone will pay. The fact is that these cars (especially low mileage, modded ones) still sell for good money given the right timing and buyer. Yes, they may not sell right away for asking price, mostly because it is hard to get a loan for a 12 year old car. Sure you can find examples of people selling their cars for less money than most, that is true for anything, but saying they are not worth the money people are asking is subjective, if you don't like someone's asking price... don't buy it. It is silly to go on a terminator website and tell all the sellers that their cars are not worth what they are asking... but you still want one. I agree that there are a few cars that given the current market, sellers are asking a bit much. That said, looking at kbb for a price on a car that has 10-20k of modifications is ridiculous. These cars typically command close to what people ask for them and most termi owners are not so desperate for money that they are willing to give them away. My question is why create this post at all? Just wait for someone to post a 700hp termi with 20k miles on here or ebay for 15k and just buy it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was going to agree with you here, but then you used the word "termi" lost all credibility

I personally do not understand this argument. Anything is worth what someone will pay. The fact is that these cars (especially low mileage, modded ones) still sell for good money given the right timing and buyer. Yes, they may not sell right away for asking price, mostly because it is hard to get a loan for a 12 year old car. Sure you can find examples of people selling their cars for less money than most, that is true for anything, but saying they are not worth the money people are asking is subjective, if you don't like someone's asking price... don't buy it. It is silly to go on a terminator website and tell all the sellers that their cars are not worth what they are asking... but you still want one. I agree that there are a few cars that given the current market, sellers are asking a bit much. That said, looking at kbb for a price on a car that has 10-20k of modifications is ridiculous. These cars typically command close to what people ask for them and most termi owners are not so desperate for money that they are willing to give them away. My question is why create this post at all? Just wait for someone to post a 700hp termi with 20k miles on here or ebay for 15k and just buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread