Zl1 you are done!!!

ZROTOWTF

Established Member
NA BOSS vs. the ZL1 kill is believable to me. Just be glad it wasn't the ZL1 at my local track the other day. It ran a 10.44 at 138. No clue what was done to it, but the track announcer was trying his best to get him to run against a GTR that was there laying down 10.45-10.55s all night.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
The ZL1 must be very restricted from the factory, then. Because I've seen one running tens at 130 with bolt-ons (intake, throttle body, pulley, removed cats, heat exchanger, drag radials, pump gas). So if they run 111-mph like some say, then it's picking up almost 20-mph with those mods but not sure exactly what boost.

The modded automatic cars run good and they should, nothing we haven't already seen in the V over 3 years ago.

Bolt on 13 GT500s are trapping mid to high 130s so far, and great air is coming.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I flipped to the back of my Road and Track and found this to be very interesting...

2012 BOSS

0-60 4.1
0-100 9.1
1/4 [email protected]

2012 ZL1

0-60 4.7
0-100 10.2
1/4 [email protected]

So in stock form the BOSS was over a second quicker to 100 and trapped 4mph higher than the ZL1 in there testing.

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
This. What in the **** was GM thinking? I bet you with a bigger blower and some tuning that car would really wake up.

I wonder if we took a ZL1 and GT500 and put the same size KB or aftermarket s/c on it with the supporting mods on both, which would be faster?

I'm guessing it would be a very good race. So while I can agree GM really messed up choosing the factory s/c they picked, that it doesn't makemthecar itself terrible. In fact, as each starts making more power I see the advantage going to the ZL1 due to better suspension.

But there's no doubt stock for stock and minor bolt-on the GT500 takes the win.

Jroc

Established Member
I wonder if we took a ZL1 and GT500 and put the same size KB or aftermarket s/c on it with the supporting mods on both, which would be faster?

I'm guessing it would be a very good race. So while I can agree GM really messed up choosing the factory s/c they picked, that it doesn't makemthecar itself terrible. In fact, as each starts making more power I see the advantage going to the ZL1 due to better suspension.

Likely the GT500 if HP wins races.
FASTLANE MOTORSPORTS : KENNE BELL 3.6L 2013 GT500 : KOTS 2012 : ROBERT CHAVIS - YouTube

A)A LSA in is as forged as a LS3 which means it has a forged crank. It's not a bad motor but it's pretty much GM's budget boosted LS motor.

B)A OHC motor is in general a better platform for boosting than a OHV motor. I understand that plenty of people have boosted LS, and other OHV motors to some very big #'s, but still.

C)A LSA will not turn 7000 RPM's without some twerking like a new 5.8 will even with it's 4.165" stroke.

D)KB claims a new GT500 is a 900+ WHP car with one of their blowers and not a whole lot more. Have fun launching a 4,100 lb IRS ZL1 with 900+ WHP.

E)GT500 weighs around 250 lbs less than ZL1.

IMO a Gen5's platform leaves a lot to be desired. I have heard it referred to as mediocre. But the ZL1's excellent MR suspension really makes up for it's chassis IMO. Still I will say that the new 1LE SS without the MR suspension seems like it does pretty good.

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member

Considering bolt on 13s are putting down 700-750 rwhp, unless you're like most ls fans and consider heads/cam "bolt ons" you're not gonna touch 700 with basic bolt ons in a ZL1.

The only fast zl1s I've seen all run an auto tranny, i dont think I've seen a 6 speed even in the 10s

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Likely the GT500 if HP wins races.
FASTLANE MOTORSPORTS : KENNE BELL 3.6L 2013 GT500 : KOTS 2012 : ROBERT CHAVIS - YouTube

A)A LSA in is as forged as a LS3 which means it has a forged crank. It's not a bad motor but it's pretty much GM's budget boosted LS motor.

B)A OHC motor is in general a better platform for boosting than a OHV motor. I understand that plenty of people have boosted LS, and other OHV motors to some very big #'s, but still.

C)A LSA will not turn 7000 RPM's without some twerking like a new 5.8 will even with it's 4.165" stroke.

D)KB claims a new GT500 is a 900+ WHP car with one of their blowers and not a whole lot more. Have fun launching a 4,100 lb IRS ZL1 with 900+ WHP.

E)GT500 weighs around 250 lbs less than ZL1.

IMO a Gen5's platform leaves a lot to be desired. I have heard it referred to as mediocre. But the ZL1's excellent MR suspension really makes up for it's chassis IMO. Still I will say that the new 1LE SS without the MR suspension seems like it does pretty good.

Simple; It needs a diet, BAD. Also, a solid rear swap to be competitive on the strip with the shelby. Something besides that puny stock blower too. I was dissapointed with it, they should have used the LS9 blower

61mmstang94

Established Member
Considering bolt on 13s are putting down 700-750 rwhp, unless you're like most ls fans and consider heads/cam "bolt ons" you're not gonna touch 700 with basic bolt ons in a ZL1.

The only fast zl1s I've seen all run an auto tranny, i dont think I've seen a 6 speed even in the 10s

Jroc understood my post but it was over your head.

I know bolt-on gt500s will beat bolt-on zl1 in most cases. That wasn't the thought I threw out there. :read:

It was about equal blower vs equal blower considering GM released it with too small of a factory blower which is obviously the biggest restriction between the two cars. For was smarter and went with a better blower. So when that's eliminated as the issue I don't think the cars are far apart is all.

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member

I know bolt-on gt500s will beat bolt-on zl1 in most cases. That wasn't the thought I threw out there. :read:

It was about equal blower vs equal blower considering GM released it with too small of a factory blower which is obviously the biggest restriction between the two cars. For was smarter and went with a better blower. So when that's eliminated as the issue I don't think the cars are far apart is all.

Welp, there are a few13s with aftermarket blowers making 800-1000 rwhp, I dont see a stock lsa longblock(meaning no port work, king kong cam etc)achieving those #s.

Just go buy a ZL1 already, jeeze :beer:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Welp, there are a few13s with aftermarket blowers making 800-1000 rwhp, I dont see a stock lsa longblock(meaning no port work, king kong cam etc)achieving those #s.

Just go buy a ZL1 already, jeeze :beer:

To begin with I prefer the gt500 so you're assumption is unnecessary and makes you look foolish.

I can discuss other cars without wanting one :)

Where are the common 1000-rwhp gt500s with nothing but a blower swap? I'm asking because I'm interested, don't get riled up.

And I'd have to bet that we could get 800+ from a properly set up zl1 with a big blower as well when you consider that the factory blower from a zr1 swapped onto a bolt-on zl1 has already netted right under 700rwhp. And add a cam on top of that and we are looking good. Which I'd bet a cam in a zl1 is easier and even cheaper than headers on the gt500, so don't act like a cam is some built engine project.

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member
To begin with I prefer the gt500 so you're assumption is unnecessary and makes you look foolish.

I can discuss other cars without wanting one :)

Where are the common 1000-rwhp gt500s with nothing but a blower swap? I'm asking because I'm interested, don't get riled up.

And I'd have to bet that we could get 800+ from a properly set up zl1 with a big blower as well when you consider that the factory blower from a zr1 swapped onto a bolt-on zl1 has already netted right under 700rwhp. And add a cam on top of that and we are looking good. Which I'd bet a cam in a zl1 is easier and even cheaper than headers on the gt500, so don't act like a cam is some built engine project.

Oh jeeze, another lsknuckle dragger and camspeak...

Can we discuss something that hasn't been commonplace since the late 90s...

There is NOTHING revolutionary about the LSA, its almost 2013.....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member

That might be true, but how well will it sustain it? the intercooler under the zl1 blower is smaller than the gt500, thats by design ( inverted SC) also the zl1 cooling is not up to par, the HE is much much smaller than that of the new 2013 shelby.

The fast zl1's that are out there have had there engines opened up and I know of one near me that put an entirely different engine in there...for example, lingenfelter offers a 700+ rhwp package for the zl1 that costs over 11K!!!

also where is this build that they swapped a zr1 blower onto a LSA motor?

Cams are considered bolt-ons in the camaro cummunity, but you know that already

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

This, except for the weight. 400 lbs is a big difference. Granted, swapping the stock exhaust out you lose 50ish lbs on the 5th gen, and there are a few other things you can do to save weight. But when you get down to brass tacks it's just a 2 door CTS-V. Hopefully the newer Camaro is a lot lighter. I'm just glad the HP competetion between the big three is back.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
That might be true, but how well will it sustain it? the intercooler under the zl1 blower is smaller than the gt500, thats by design ( inverted SC) also the zl1 cooling is not up to par, the HE is much much smaller than that of the new 2013 shelby.

The fast zl1's that are out there have had there engines opened up and I know of one near me that put an entirely different engine in there...for example, lingenfelter offers a 700+ rhwp package for the zl1 that costs over 11K!!!

also where is this build that they swapped a zr1 blower onto a LSA motor?

Cams are considered bolt-ons in the camaro cummunity, but you know that already

LOL @ considering a cam a bolt on...

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
61mm considers it one, since it;s "easier" than a set of headers even though he has more than likely NOT done either job, and just spewing internet garbage based off posts he read lolol

It's definitely not as hard as people think, but its still an internal engine mod.

I'd rather do a cam swap than put headers in most cars unless I had access to a lift

Bolt ons= Pulley, exhaust, intake, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread