'13 GT500 parts that will retrofit to any '07-'12...

Ironhand

Banned
Parts number wise I see the following...

From here.

In mid '07, Eric Brooks states that '03-'04 Cobra cams are the same as the GT500 cams (we can assume he was looking at '07 GT500 specs for sake of argument and I think we can all agree they were the same at least through '09, yes?).

From here.

One week ago, in the same thread as above, Michael at L&M states

From here.

Michael makes no distinction between '07-'09 or '10-'12 cames being any different or any inference that late GT500 cams spec the same as the old GT cams.

You mentioned Tousley, and I found a thread where they stated

While the cams from FRPP are no longer available, the FRPP page linked states...

From here.

If the GT cams were the '10 and later GT500 cams, that would mean that the lift on each cam was over 1mm more (can anyone find the OE specs for a '10 or later GT500?).

I guess the bottom line is this...if they were the same, anyone looking for a set of the now unavailable GT cams could just order from the Ford dealer a set of '12 GT500 cams (for example). Because the inference here is that they are the same, right? Then why is MMR out of them and fairly recently at that?

Check this thread out to see what I mean.

I am just repeating what Steve told me and I cant remember what year GT-500 he looked up, he was surprised as was I. I have owned two sets of cams and still own one set of FGT cams so I should be able to confirm what Im saying shortly(dont have the cams on hand).

Also those part numbers are NOT what I recall being on the cams.
I can only remember part of it. Im not sure if I have left and right correct.
-270 Right Intake
-271 Left Intake
-272 Right Exhaust
-273 Left Exhaust

Those numbers are what are on the cams not what Fords part # says.

Here is what I got from the physical cams themselves. Excuse the hand writing.
IMAG0529.gif

It would have to be the 10 & up cars or when the horsepower rating went up between models. I cant remember which year exactly. Also that is how I found out. It was the only other cam option I could think of besides stock 03-04 Cobra cams. You can order them for 220 a cam or 880 a set from Steve at Tousley.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting. The following screen shots are from Ford's own parts website, the same as what Tousley looks at (among others).

First up, 2005 Ford GT

ScreenHunter_08Nov180039.gif

Next up, 2009 GT500

ScreenHunter_11Nov180044.gif

2010 GT500 (same listing as the '09)

ScreenHunter_10Nov180043.gif

Finally, both 2011 and 2012 GT500 show the same thing

ScreenHunter_09Nov180040.gif

Based on pricing alone, looks like the '09 and '10 are the same. Why no pricing for '11 or '12, I don't know. But there looks to be no carryover from the expensive GT cams, at least as far as retail pricing goes.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Interesting. The following screen shots are from Ford's own parts website, the same as what Tousley looks at (among others).

First up, 2005 Ford GT

ScreenHunter_08Nov180039.gif

Next up, 2009 GT500

ScreenHunter_11Nov180044.gif

2010 GT500 (same listing as the '09)

ScreenHunter_10Nov180043.gif

Finally, both 2011 and 2012 GT500 show the same thing

ScreenHunter_09Nov180040.gif

Based on pricing alone, looks like the '09 and '10 are the same. Why no pricing for '11 or '12, I don't know. But there looks to be no carryover from the expensive GT cams, at least as far as retail pricing goes.

Maybe the price changed from the last time I checked. Ill call Steve tomorrow and get some more information. Worst case is I might buy some 11-12 Cams and return them to Steve, if he allows me to do so.

That "Callout number" isnt anywhere on the cams(that I remember) so I will get pictures to confirm that.

Edit:

Here are the numbers on the 03-04 Cobra cams.

YF3E 6A270 BB Right Intake
YF3E 6A271 BB Left Intake
YF3E 6A272 AB Right Exhaust
YF3E 6A273 AB Left Exhaust

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
The 7000 rpm Mustang GT 5.0 has oil squirters, so I don't see it as a flip flop at all. The Boss has a higher redline, plus was designed as the extended high rpm road race car. The oil squirters are very valuable in high boost (high heat) situations.

As for what I'd like to see as a retrofit (the original topic), I'd like to see the TVS from FRPP with Pro-Cal for the '11-'12. Definately the clutch and driveshaft, too! Torsen Diff..Recaro seats...Oh, and a 5.8 crate motor. :)
but the '11/'12 6250RPM GT500 engine didn't have the squirters:shrug:

markuswe

Established Member
The blower pulley also looks relatively small, it may be needed to feed that big 5.8, maybe a 2.8"-2.9". This thing probably runs 10-12psi and the calibration is totally sandbagged (no timing) so you can't even blow it up with 85 octane gas, that's my bet at least. 650hp is on the weak side for what they've put into this motor. You can do that on the old 5.4 with a TVS (same pulley) and moderate 91-93 calibration, and this is .4L bigger. However that's better for us as the gains from tuning alone should be big :).

Very interesting point Justin. I didn't thougt of that.

So, what would happen, if you keep an existing blower/pulley combination and just increase the engine displacement?

The amount of air/fuel comming from the Intake and Injectors should be nearly the same, but the pressure of the compressed air/fuel is less, because of the larger displacement. So HP should be less? Or is the amount of air/fuel higher because the larger displacement sucks more air through the blower and this equalizes the above effect?

Please help, I'm totaly confused .....

Markus

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I want to know about the launch control. Is it the same as my WOT box, or is it "intelligent" and limits wheel spin?

Looking forward to tail light upgrade and moving up to bigger brakes when it's time for new pads and rotors.

jsarkis

Established Member
I want to know about the launch control. Is it the same as my WOT box, or is it "intelligent" and limits wheel spin?

My guess is as long as you have the electronics package and some $$ you can upgrade the 10's - 12's with their version of LC (time will tell how it works).

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Very interesting point Justin. I didn't thougt of that.

So, what would happen, if you keep an existing blower/pulley combination and just increase the engine displacement?

The amount of air/fuel comming from the Intake and Injectors should be nearly the same, but the pressure of the compressed air/fuel is less, because of the larger displacement. So HP should be less? Or is the amount of air/fuel higher because the larger displacement sucks more air through the blower and this equalizes the above effect?

Markus
the only way a larger displacement engine should lose power is if the smaller displacement engine is using every bit of the volume of air from the supercharger, which with a roots would (theoretically) mean that boost PSI would be 0 since there is nothing holding up the air for it to be compressed(roots superchargers compress air int he intake manifold). so basically, you could take a completely stock shelby 5.4l, bore it out to 5.8l without making any other changes at all(aside from an appropriate tune), and it would produce a little more HP because it's taking in more air that would otherwise be stuck in the intake manifold. because more air is being used by the 5.8l, the PSI in the intake manifold would drop from the ~10PSI of the 5.4l because there is more air in the cylinders and less air to be compressed in the intake manifold.
think of compressed air out of a supercharger as the speed of a waiting line. the higher the PSI, the slower the waiting line is moving and the slower the air is getting into the cylinders. but if your, say, port your heads, you may drop 1 or 2 PSI because your waiting line is moving much faster, getting more air into the cylinder. of course, the reason we increase boost PSI is to straight up force the into the cylinders. this isn't as efficient(generates a lot of heat there by reducing oxygen density), but generally easier(pulley + tune vs ported heads).

someone correct me if i'm wrong here, i think i got the fundamentals.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member

Markus

If you keep the blower size and speed the same, and increase engine displacement, boost will down and power will go up. Remember, boost is a measure if back pressure. More air is pumped by the engine (=more power) and that lowers backpressure at the same time.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member

Looking forward to tail light upgrade and moving up to bigger brakes when it's time for new pads and rotors.

Wheel spin is limited by traction control. Your 2012 already has that feature. The launch control is just a 2-step rev limiter that allows your foot to be on the floor and the computer still holds a launch RPM. If the GT500 system works like the Boss, it will hold that RPM using fuel shutoff instead of partially closing the e-throttle. This means when you dump the clutch, the manifold is already pressurized for faster response.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2012 Boss 302 Track Key and launch control - YouTube[/nomedia]

Ford says the launch control in the Shelby is linked to the traction control, but the traction control is still responsible for limiting wheelspin.

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Guess I'm alone in not wanting any engine cross over parts.

I'm hoping the cover for the opening in the front valence for the heat exchanger, the rear valence and the mufflers cross over.

That's all I want.

Other than a one peice DS, 4.10's, bigger HE, line locks, drag tires/wheels, rear upper/lower control arms.................:lol:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Axle cooler swap should be simple. Either drill and tap a '11/'12 finned cover or buy the new one, add pump and wire, etc. The only question is where the actual "cooler" will be located on the '13 and can you put it there (or elsewhere) on an earlier chassis.

Brake swap should be simple as well, as long as there aren't major changes to the MC/booster. If the spindle and wheel hub for '13 is the same as earlier years then those pieces should literally fall right on. It'd be great if the lines did as well. I guess the question is whether there were any changes to brake bias. With the change out back and the vehicle weight staying pretty much the same, I'd venture to guess that any changes there would be proportional to the previous components and their overall biasing.

I think it may be awhile before we know. Sid mentioned to me that even the '13 blue car making the rounds now is still equipped with the older engine. Production parts may be months away from being available from the dealer network or FRPP.

rdanzy

Established Member
"Forged crank uses titanium slugs for better balance and allows new redline of 7,000 rpm (up from 6250)."

So, if the 5.8 Crankshaft is used in a 5.4 build the redline would go to 7K?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
"Forged crank uses titanium slugs for better balance and allows new redline of 7,000 rpm (up from 6250)."

So, if the 5.8 Crankshaft is used in a 5.4 build the redline would go to 7K?
there are plenty of guys with built engines spinning 7K and higher on the stock '07-'12 crank, but i'm sure with the changes made the '13 crank will be more stable at higher RPMs than the earlier pieces.
if your asking if ford would raise the rev limit if they put the 5.8 crank in an otherwise stock 5.4l, don't bet on it. the '13 has improved rods, which is as much a factor as the crank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread