2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm curious to know how people are running at the track with this issue. It seems like having to shift with a delay would kill your times ! I watched lethal's car run great times also didn't here any grinding. There r many more videos also that haven't complained about it either . Makes u wonder !

I had no problems running at the track but I wasn't "power shifting" per se'. I don't normally power shift any of my cars because I can usually shift fast enough to only end up lifting out of the throttle slightly by the time I get into 2nd and back to WOT. When floating the throttle like that, it goes into 2nd, but still has a slight grind. I never had a complete refusal of engagement when shifting like that, only when WOT power shifting. When WOT power shifting (meaning staying at complete wide open throttle during the shift) I get a complete failure to engage no matter what I do. I can push the clutch through the floor and it aint gonna matter. Even my 2-3 shifts result in a minor grind, but I've not yet been shut out completely on that shift, even on WOT shifts. :??:

I really wonder if there's something to the idea that maybe the shift linkage itself is flexing or deflecting during the 1-2 causing it to do this.

L82ford

Established Member
I've got a three week old 2011 GT500 with the SVTPP. A very early 11' apparently (#81). I love this car, but I have had the grinding/rejection issue almost everytime I've tried to wind 1st to 6-6200 RPM and shift quickly to 2nd. I have not tried to powershift the car. During less-spirited driving I sometimes feel a little notchiness going into second, but no grinding or rejection.

On another forum someone suggested that I pull the shifter more toward myself (as opposed to straight back). I tried this today, but with the same result. I really don't know yet if there is a problem with the car or a technique issue with the driver... I've owned quite a few high performance cars before this one, including some pretty strong old school muscle cars (60s-70), C5 corvettes, and others. If it is a technique issue, I've not experienced it before this car. I'm going to try a little longer.

btw, this is my first post, but I've enjoyed this site for sometime. I was close to buying a terminator a couple times but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. Disposed of my 300 SRT8 for the GT500, with no regrets.

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Ever since I started pulling the shifter towards my chest when engaging second, and ensuring the clutch was on the floor; I haven't had the minor grinding issue occur again. If people are hoping for a quick or power shift with the TR6060 when engaging second.....keep dreaming. It's normal and all TR6060 cars can and will do it. I believe this is the trade off for having such beefy transmission.

Also let the damn car break in before going all out in 1-2. Your transmission will love you for it.

If you're experiencing gear lockout and severe grinding issues while doing a "normal" easy shift to second then you may have a problem...

Unless Tremec admits there is a problem, and provides an actual fix for the grinding issue. You will just have to learn how to drive this car. I would not let Ford dealers try and "fix" the problem by replacing random parts. That is just asking for further headaches.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Lethal's car has a new clutch. Stock clutch is big and heavy. As in clutch disc. Some times big isn't always best. Must be why 07/09's shift killer. You think ??? Time to buy a new aftermarket clutch with light weight materials. Before you need your trans rebuilt. Give Jared a call.

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Lethal's car has a new clutch. Stock clutch is big and heavy. As in clutch disc. Some times big isn't always best. Must be why 07/09's shift killer. You think ??? Time to buy a new aftermarket clutch with light weight materials. Before you need your trans rebuilt. Give Jared a call.

The clutch has nothing to do with it....In fact the 07-09's didn't shift killer because of their clutch. Which most blame the clutch for the 1-2 grind instead of the TR6060 which is the issue.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
The clutch has nothing to do with it....In fact the 07-09's didn't shift killer because of their clutch. Which most blame the clutch for the 1-2 grind instead of the TR6060 which is the issue.

My 07 shifts killer. Would you like to see a video ?? If its not the clutch. Then why is it only a few of you are having problems ?? Running the stock clutch.

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
My 07 shifts killer. Would you like to see a video ?? If its not the clutch. Then why is it only a few of you are having problems ?? Running the stock clutch.

Grats on having one that shifts "killer". However, it is not a problem with the 2010/11 Clutch. In fact that clutch is the fix for most 07-09 clutch issues.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Grats on having one that shifts "killer". However, it is not a problem with the 2010/11 Clutch. In fact that clutch is the fix for most 07-09 clutch issues.

You'll learn the hard way. You couldn't give me 2010/11 clutch. Its fine for going out to dinner. :poke:

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
As mentioned the clutch may be part of the problem, if it doesnt release clean and fast the friction of the blockers wont be enough to slow the geartrain down to get a clean shift.

IMO its a compromise, you can have a light and quick shifting trans that breaks, or a clunky trans that can handle the power. Couple that with a hydraulic dual disc clutch that grabs great but may not release quick enough and there are problems.

A lot of people will say they have no problems but a good number of people will never try a full on 6200rpm speed or power shift from 1-2. I can get a nice chirp in 2nd granny shifting, not hard with one of these.

I posted this link on TS, if you know about transmission (I have rebuilt a lot of Muncies, T56s, BWs etc) its easy to see the issues with these transmissions. Its also easy to see they are not very forgiving if you keep grinding that 1-2.

T-56 Magnum Vs. TR6060 - LS1TECH

post 14 has some pics of a 6060 apart that was hurt at the track.

IMO Ford wont do anything to fix it, most likely because 80% of the people who buy these (including me) arent going to drag race or power/speed shift their car. I can shift around the issue so I wont take it to the dealer, but I can see how it will piss people off who want to add more power and hit the track.

Jackyl13

Established Member
I just can't see the point in buying a 50k high performance car if I can't drive it like a high performance car. I would have got a GT for 15,000 less !

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm a little disappointed that Ford still uses this tranny with all the issues !

what other tranny is there out there that can handle the power is thr problem. there are non that are factory built for production cars

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
:rollseyes

BTW the aftermarket clutch setups generally weigh more or the same.

Just the rotational mass makes a lot of difference. 10/11's is 10 inch clutch. 07/09's is 8 1/2 inch clutch. At 6200 RPM's thats a lot of weight. Have you ever drove one with a good light weight 8 inch clutch ? much nicer car to drive and easier on parts. If your going to do any drag racing. Then you need a clutch you can slip. Even the big boys slip the clutch. It will save parts from front to back and have better ET's. This new clutch wont handle any slippage at all. One time and its smoked. Its a fact that the lighter your clutch the better it will shift and the easier it will be to shift. If anything was wrong with the trans. It would do it all the time.

Jackyl13

Established Member
F*%#ing UNBELIEVABLE ! Yesterday I probably tried WOT 1 - 2 about 10 times and everytime it would grind unless I granny shifted . Today I bring it to the dealer and take the transmission tech on a test drive ...everything is perfect ! WTF !

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
best

This is the best ive been able to shift the car in these 2 videos, last visit to the track though i made 5 passes with 3 complete rejects of 2nd gear.....

First was stock, upper pulley tune cold air intake bone stock exhaust, 2nd is upper pulley,IW lower pulley,cated x pipe,corsas,lowered on eibachs, retune.....if i try to shift any faster it spits it out....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxn80-eU5U"]YouTube- Heinz 12 03@120[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zyFg3pV3KY"]YouTube- 2010 Shelby 11.37/129.10MPH[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Carl

Established Member
I just can't see the point in buying a 50k high performance car if I can't drive it like a high performance car. I would have got a GT for 15,000 less !

I drove a new GT tonight and the clutch feel is great and it shifts so much better than my 08 GT500. But I don't know if I could go back to a GT. The new 5.0 is sweet but I would have to add a blower and after I bought the car and added the stuff I want I would be at the same price as a new GT50. That's my dilema tonight, do I order a 2011 GT500?? After reading this thread and living with the 08 clutch for the last two years I just don't know...

Users who are viewing this thread