[Callout:] ANY 2011+ AED Tuned Bolt-on Coyote in Tampa, FL with >400whp dyno sheet

cbrtrx

Established Member
This is getting good but you guys are all way off base with how it works and I don't realy care to explain it either just like I'm sure no one else would. I've found the coyote community for some reason to be extra secretive for some reason :)

Justins car runs the way it does for one reason, safety. When he asked me to tune it that was his primary concern. His car runs stock timing and .829 lambda as well. Considering the overerly safe tune and combo his car runs on par in my opinion.

Now I'll be the first to admit that Shaun is one of the more established and known tuners for the coyote platform. He makes it so that we always got to be on our toes to keep up and is always helping the community. Considering the very mild tune up in Justin's car I'm actually surprised it hung in as good as it did. Spoolins car runs great for his mods and he drove it great as well, he would be a tough contender in any car.

P.s. And Sai is a bully cause his car goes 11.0 on motor, not even close to what these cars are running :)

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Had to give you a little shit for the call-out thread. :D

The trick is getting the ECU to default to this correctly. Hat's off to CBR for taking the time to figure it out. :rockon:

Lol hey, I heard the fastest cars around ran AED tunes and that's who I wanted to race--I certainly wasn't looking for a slow car to line up against ;-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would have an AED tune in my car if I didn't have my friend Cbr right up the street.

Spoolin--load that lund tune and let's line em up again this weekend. Same time, same place?

lol@bully

stang910

Established Member
Fair enough. :beer:

I guess I will have to ponder that one some more and you will have to play catch up with AED tuned cars (off bottle). :dancenana:
:uh oh:

This seems pretty easy to do Shaun. Just change the X normalizer in the desired lambda at WOT to reflect the temps you want to see (say the last 2 tables set at 225) and just change the last column to the nitrous lambda. Set the spark to change above the 225* mark as well and now you have timing being pulled and fuel being added above 225*. I'm pretty suprised this didn't jump out at you.

Shaun@AED

This seems pretty easy to do Shaun. Just change the X normalizer in the desired lambda at WOT to reflect the temps you want to see (say the last 2 tables set at 225) and just change the last column to the nitrous lambda. Set the spark to change above the 225* mark as well and now you have timing being pulled and fuel being added above 225*. I'm pretty suprised this didn't jump out at you.

The question is how to change coolant temp the ECU sees via a switch.
These ECU's use cylinder head temp to determine coolant temps btw.

04compgt

Established Member
The question is how to change coolant temp the ECU sees via a switch.
These ECU's use cylinder head temp to determine coolant temps btw.

Shawn, this is a very old trick. You use a resistor in line and you switch that on and off. The car will see 240* when the switch is on.

BMR Tech

Can you just run a +5V wire from the switch to the signal wire on the MAF?

I am not sure if that works on these cars, but it does on the older ECU/MAF systems.

Once you the activate the nitrous toggle switch, the nitrous is ready and so is the tune.

cbrtrx

Established Member
Shawn, this is a very old trick. You use a resistor in line and you switch that on and off. The car will see 240* when the switch is on.

You explain this like you know how to do this but you obviously do not, its much easier to say something then to actaully do it. If you tried doing what you said on this car you would get a check engine light.

Can you just run a +5V wire from the switch to the signal wire on the MAF?

I am not sure if that works on these cars, but it does on the older ECU/MAF systems.

Once you the activate the nitrous toggle switch, the nitrous is ready and so is the tune.

That method is about 15 years old now and very crude at best. Not the correct way of doing it and I would not recommend it either. These copperhead ecus are revolutionary compared to the older stuff.

BMR Tech

Good info.

I am not a tuner, but I do know that the two combos I had with that set-up, worked pretty well with a dry-shot.

You should make a web-site; cbrnitroustune.com and sell your idea!

Is there a way you could make a "kit"....where someone could buy a pre-made harness, switches, etc....and you provide that with a tune?

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
Good info.

I am not a tuner, but I do know that the two combos I had with that set-up, worked pretty well with a dry-shot.

You should make a web-site; cbrnitroustune.com and sell your idea!

Is there a way you could make a "kit"....where someone could buy a pre-made harness, switches, etc....and you provide that with a tune?

Yes the way you had it done on the older cars did work, not the way I would do it but back in the day we weren't as evolved as we are now. :)

I was offered to sell my idea as a kit about 9 years ago to the GM market but I declined. Someone was just trying steal my design to copy and sell it. Thats why I choose not to talk much about it because I hate copycats. Its very easy to copy something not even knowing how it works but that is the worse way to do it in my opinion.

Now there are some very creative people out there, if they want to figure it out more power to them, maybe someone will figure out an even better way one day. :)

BMR Tech

I was offered to sell my idea as a kit about 9 years ago to the GM market but I declined. Someone was just trying steal my design to copy and sell it. Thats why I choose not to talk much about it because I hate copycats. Its very easy to copy something not even knowing how it works but that is the worse way to do it in my opinion.

That is very cool.

I remember back around 2000-2001 I had a friend that ran the resistor mod on his Corvette to pull timing. He never would share exactly how he did it....then another friend of mine found out how to do it, and it was all the rage. lol

04compgt

Established Member
You explain this like you know how to do this but you obviously do not, its much easier to say something then to actaully do it. If you tried doing what you said on this car you would get a check engine light.

That method is about 15 years old now and very crude at best. Not the correct way of doing it and I would not recommend it either. These copperhead ecus are revolutionary compared to the older stuff.

You are right, I have never done this on the new copperhead ECU's, I have done something similar in my past vehicles and it has worked well. I am not here to start an argument or be a know it all, I am man enough to admit that I don't know everything that you have done, and think that whatever you did was very clever, however I am just trying to share some ideas with the community and maybe by me giving out some of my tips from my past experience, it would help someone creative out there to create something like you have done, I have a full time job and a family so I certainly don't have the time to do this and figure out on my own. Maybe even Shaun @ AED could try and experiment with this and this could be a service that could be offered to the coyote community on his end. Also on the check engine light, that parameter could also be changed to not trigger a check engine light from going above certain temperature i.e 240*, etc. I absolutely agree with you that the copperhead ecu is definitely a more complicated system to tune than the older ECU's, I have tuned 5 coyote's so far including my own and even from 2012 to the 2013 there is a difference in parameters and way of tuning each one, they are all very unique. I don't claim to be a professional tuner because I am not, I do this as a hobby and to help out friends. With that being said, great job on figuring it out and kudos to you for experimenting with it.

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
That is very cool.

I remember back around 2000-2001 I had a friend that ran the resistor mod on his Corvette to pull timing. He never would share exactly how he did it....then another friend of mine found out how to do it, and it was all the rage. lol

On my old vette I actually had 3 tunes all on the fly, it was awesome messing around with people on 3 separate power modes.

I actually have a few new ideas on adding even more flexibility but I've been busy with other hobbies now.

Shaun@AED

I would encourage CBR to make a 'plug and play' adapter to the Sensor harness and sell it to the Coyote Nitrous market himself.
I do not want to step on any toes, nor 're-invent the wheel'. If he has it nailed with the correct resister in the correct wires, it should be a fairly easy deal to make a plug and play kit, then sell it for the appropriate price. At which point I would encourage AED tuned customers that want a Nitrous setup to purchase the product from him.

One question.... Were you able to implement any failsafes? Or a way for the driver to *know* the setup is working correctly?

cbrtrx

Established Member
I would encourage CBR to make a 'plug and play' adapter to the Sensor harness and sell it to the Coyote Nitrous market himself.
I do not want to step on any toes, nor 're-invent the wheel'. If he has it nailed with the correct resister in the correct wires, it should be a fairly easy deal to make a plug and play kit, then sell it for the appropriate price. At which point I would encourage AED tuned customers that want a Nitrous setup to purchase the product from him.

One question.... Were you able to implement any failsafes? Or a way for the driver to *know* the setup is working correctly?

Yes there are failsafes and a way to "know" that it works. That was a primary concern of mine as well. In 10 years I have had not one failure with it.

04compgt

Established Member

Shaun, based on my last vehicles and the way we used to do it (I don't know how CBR's works), we knew the system was working properly by looking at the temperature gauge inside the car. If the temperature gauge went to 240* then that meant that the system was working properly and the ECU would refer to the commanded values. Like I said I don't know that this is exactly how it works but this is how it worked on my past vehicles.

04compgt

Established Member
I wonder if you could do adjustability and have say 3 tunes like specified above by CBR with a potentiometer and adjust temperature with a simple turn of a knob. That would be a cool idea IMO.

BMR Tech

I wonder if you could do adjustability and have say 3 tunes like specified above by CBR with a potentiometer and adjust temperature with a simple turn of a knob. That would be a cool idea IMO.

Yes, you can. Now, on the Copperhead....I have no clue.

My friend, that I mentioned back in 2000/2001 had multiple settings, and I am almost positive he ran a potentiometer or the like.

04compgt

Established Member
Yes, you can. Now, on the Copperhead....I have no clue.

My friend, that I mentioned back in 2000/2001 had multiple settings, and I am almost positive he ran a potentiometer or the like.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. That would certainly be a cool idea.

Users who are viewing this thread