Hellion twin turbo vs. Paxton supercharger

D.T.R

Established Member
In no way is this a shot at you. Because everytime i see your car on fb i drool over it.

But that blue car has already been what? Low 9's at 150+? Lets see what yours does now to compare.
i don't think it has been 150mph.. but probably close to it
Oh i know that car is fast. But there are other factors that will affect how my car runs at the track. I do not have a trans brake as of yet... so i know some ET will be left on the table just because of that.
I have not taken the car to the track on race gas yet because with my luck, something will break and i will miss Mustang Week and I already have the hotel paid for and they told me i cannot cancel. So after mustang week, i'm ordering a fresh set of MT ET Pros, i'll throw the race fuel in and go have fun. I am not expecting to set records the first time out with all that power (or ever set records for that matter lmao) but i am pretty confident that it has a 152-155mph+ trap in it. The ET may vary due to other factors i mentioned. I went 141mph on the previous tune, 11psi on pump 93

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
@JPC, what is the difference between your single and twin turbo kits for someone who daily drives and does roll racing?

D.T.R

Established Member
^ Wow. Did a vendor just say that? so you mean to tell me that you go on other's turbos/SC/nitrous kit thread and you DO NOT fill up the thread with your own parts? what is wrong with you!? LOL

notchy444

Established Member
Single Turbo (CPR 75mm), Same PSI 10 lbs, Same tuner, Paxton kit on e85 with all the add ons (Torque booster 3.33 pulley ext...) same dyno. Results speak for them self. Twin or single a turbo just flat out spanks a centri in every way, yes even the price once you go full retard :rockon:

turbovstorquebooster_zps6d21706d.png

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
i don't think it has been 150mph.. but probably close to it
Oh i know that car is fast. But there are other factors that will affect how my car runs at the track. I do not have a trans brake as of yet... so i know some ET will be left on the table just because of that.
I have not taken the car to the track on race gas yet because with my luck, something will break and i will miss Mustang Week and I already have the hotel paid for and they told me i cannot cancel. So after mustang week, i'm ordering a fresh set of MT ET Pros, i'll throw the race fuel in and go have fun. I am not expecting to set records the first time out with all that power (or ever set records for that matter lmao) but i am pretty confident that it has a 152-155mph+ trap in it. The ET may vary due to other factors i mentioned. I went 141mph on the previous tune, 11psi on pump 93

You are correct he went 149.11 mph. Looking forward to seeing the green car run. Its a beast.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
2 things most likely happened based on your experiences with turbos:
1 - You or whoever installed these turbo kits must not be very familiar with them, and quite possibly did not install some of the parts properly.
2 - Some of the parts chosen for your turbo setups may not have been of a decent quality.
Either 1 or 2, or both combine will make for a horrible turbo experience. That applies to any power adder actually. We have had the turbos on the green car for 3k miles so far. I kid you not, there has been ZERO maintenance related to the turbo setup. I have absolutely no worries or concerns.. the car sits in the garage all week at times and i get in and fire it up and drive off like when it was stock. The car acts and behaves like stock while you off boost of course. If you take the precautions to ceramic coat and or heat wrap stuff, heat is really not a concern, it has never been in any of my turbo cars. You just need to be aware that all the components on the hot side WILL reach 4-digit temperatures even while cruising... so it would be smart to keep things away from it AND heat wrap as much as possible.
Although the heat from a turbo setup is no joke, I'd be more concerned with the head of a head unit on a PD/centri blower setup heating up so much to where the IATs are ridiculously high. That to me, is more of a concern than the heat produced by turbos.

Negative. I either buy good stuff or I don't do it at all and I was familiar enough with them to make great power (for the time).

PD blowers will give you dat heat. Centris not so much.

I'm not arguing that turbos will make more power. I'm just speaking from a perspective of dollar vs. headache. It's awesome that Hellion has a kit that's headache free. Problem for me is the cost. It's easier for me to go V3-JT-YSi-X. To me less moving parts is better. I don't wanna mess with boost controllers and all that jazz. Kinda hard to explain.

D.T.R

Established Member
yeah, you are pretty much just set on your blowers. To give you a different perspective, i much rather deal with a boost controller where I can lower or up the boost on the fly, by just clicking a button instead of dealing with pulley and belt swaps.

OG_

Established Member
Add a waste gate + small pulley + boost controller to your Paxton/procharger/vortech setup and you have adj. boost :)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Add a waste gate + small pulley + boost controller to your Paxton/procharger/vortech setup and you have adj. boost :)
And added heat from spinning the blower hard all the time. And belts slip, shredding....:p

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member

The other day I woke up and felt like making more power. So I walked out to my car and turned it from 8 lbs to 18 lbs. Without getting my hands dirty.

That's why I love turbo's. I'll never swap another belt again.

grnenvy

Established Member
It's no secret that Turbos make great PWR the Germans perfected them back in the 30-40s and used them in WW2.
As for dyno queen and fancy graphs it doesn't always correlate into ET or a Big win on the street. I'm a fan of Superchargers and especially on the street they have much more controllable pwr and in Florida under hood temps are a lot less. I haven't seen a perfect turbo kit designed yet for 11-14 Mustang. There always lazy somewhere in the RPM or if your in the wrong gear your chugging. I have no problems running 9s with my VMP Tuned TVS.

Now if I was looking to run 8s and build a race car then I may go Turbo just a single no need for 2 but then again nitrous injected superchargers are fun.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
And added heat from spinning the blower hard all the time. And belts slip, shredding....:p

Just because this gets repeated doesn't make it true.

You see more belts broken and thrown on a whipple / tvs / kb than you see on a Paxton car.

we have logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 passes on our car, over 10k street miles and have never once thrown a belt. How many guys do you see posting about thrown / broken belts.

NEVER.

Or very, very, rarely. You have about as much chance of throwing a belt on a stock car.

grnenvy

Established Member
Never had a belt issue with my TVS going on 2 years and for any of the guys that may have they must be doing something wrong which we see a lot of back yard mechanics. I would think all the SC company's got this handled it's not the 90s when Vortech and Paxton were learning.

Mach828

Established Member
The only people shredding belts are the ones using wrong parts or did a poor install with everything misaligned.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Just because this gets repeated doesn't make it true.

You see more belts broken and thrown on a whipple / tvs / kb than you see on a Paxton car.

we have logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 passes on our car, over 10k street miles and have never once thrown a belt. How many guys do you see posting about thrown / broken belts.

NEVER.

Or very, very, rarely. You have about as much chance of throwing a belt on a stock car.

What about belt slippage? How do you combat that? more ribs and/or tighten tension?

Never had a belt issue with my TVS going on 2 years and for any of the guys that may have they must be doing something wrong which we see a lot of back yard mechanics. I would think all the SC company's got this handled it's not the 90s when Vortech and Paxton were learning.

I watched your boy Kelly have multiple issues with his belt on his cobra. I'm ignorant about superchargers in general and what his issue was but that would frustrate me to no end. He could get a race off, then his belt would slip or start to come off.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What about belt slippage? How do you combat that? more ribs and/or tighten tension?

depends at what level your at.

the stock setup will make more than any engine can handle with no slip, the stock setup on a 3.33 pulley and e85 can make about 800 rwhp with 0 slip.

with a 3.15 and an 8 rib setup you are pushing mid 8's, and we've had pretty good luck with even 2.95's with no issues on the 8 rib, that's with the stock balancer.

add in a 20% o/d and you can run a 3.33 with 2000 more blower rpms, and even less slip... Again, more than most guys with built engine are going to handle.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
The only people shredding belts are the ones using wrong parts or did a poor install with everything misaligned.

You've never made over 1000rwhp on a Paxton 2200 nor have you made 1200+ on a YSI with a stick shift.
When you get up in that power range you tend to go through belts like crazy. We usually had to keep 2 in the car at all times.

I'm not saying a stock 600rwhp paxton car is going to have issue. I'm talking about when you turn them up.

Users who are viewing this thread