Hellion twin turbo vs. Paxton supercharger

helloWorld

Established Member
I'd love to have a twin turbo setup, but how can you beat $4700 shipped for a full Vortech kit, including the boost a pump and injectors?

Voltwings

Established Member
By using the $3800 twin turbo kit?

I know people have used that kit with some success, but i've heard equally as many horror stories, and was even talking to a shop that was installing one when i dropped my car off. I view that kit kind of how i viewed strip clubs when i was 18 ... the one you can afford is not necessarily the one you want.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I know people have used that kit with some success, but i've heard equally as many horror stories, and was even talking to a shop that was installing one when i dropped my car off. I view that kit kind of how i viewed strip clubs when i was 18 ... the one you can afford is not necessarily the one you want.

Just pointing out that it is another valid option. When installed right they run hard. Not familiar with any big issues with the kits personally after installing one on my car and helping with another. A more premium kit would be nice, but this one works fine.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I agree. Turbos are def more efficient, and have a great power band, but s/c's are just so simple. I miss my 50-trim SRT4, but I was always wrenching and watching gauges.

A properly designed and installed turbo kit doesn't require any maintenance. We have literally did nothing to our 7 second car as far as maintenance goes besides changed the oil. We used to have to change belts every pass with the centri setup. Honestly I'll never own another supercharger since I made the switch in my personal car. I pull the dip stick every few weeks and let her eat.

My car picked up 50rwhp at the same boost going from a Eaton M112 to a 76mm turbo through the same intercooler (same fuel/ same timing). Just to give you an idea of what a supercharger takes to spin.

I do agree that turbos are more effiecient and one day I would love to build a turbo car. But due to getting married I was on a budget.

With my beefcake special, stage 2 fore fuel system with dual 456's, tial bov, jpc clamps, jpc coolant tank, boost gauge and pillar mount, brand new 331's and a dyno tune from aed. Im right at about how much the hellion twin turbo kit is.

That's one very good point. By the time you invest in everything you need to make power with a centri car your going to be in it for as much if not more then a turbo kit by the time you buy the kit, tank, t bolts, BOV, Longtubes, mid pipe, 8 rib setup and a OD lower. With the money you'd spend in all that you can have a turbo kit that makes more power at the same boost level.

With all that being said, Boost for Boost a turbo car will out run a centri car any day of the week. Period.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Spoken like a true diplomat.

If i had as much money as everyone else on SVTP then i would throw away my $700 nitrous kit and buy a $7000 turbo kit but for right now ill keep spanking ass with the giggle juice.

we should line em up ;)

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
A properly designed and installed turbo kit doesn't require any maintenance. We have literally did nothing to our 7 second car as far as maintenance goes besides changed the oil. We used to have to change belts every pass with the centri setup. Honestly I'll never own another supercharger since I made the switch in my personal car. I pull the dip stick every few weeks and let her eat.

My car picked up 50rwhp at the same boost going from a Eaton M112 to a 76mm turbo through the same intercooler (same fuel/ same timing). Just to give you an idea of what a supercharger takes to spin.

That's one very good point. By the time you invest in everything you need to make power with a centri car your going to be in it for as much if not more then a turbo kit by the time you buy the kit, tank, t bolts, BOV, Longtubes, mid pipe, 8 rib setup and a OD lower. With the money you'd spend in all that you can have a turbo kit that makes more power at the same boost level.

With all that being said, Boost for Boost a turbo car will out run a centri car any day of the week. Period.

My point was if I went turbo I would have to shell out anothet couple grand to get what I wanted. I can use that extra money to put towards other stuff now. Clutch, built motor. Etc.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Paxton 2200 @ 22psi w/ Aluminator and Fuse 116 octane fuel -
885rwhp
[youtube_browser]LubY1aDor_E[/youtube_browser]

Hellion Twin Car @ 16psi w/ Aluminator and Gulf 116 octane Fuel-
950rwhp
[youtube_browser]KL6r7bB_OYo[/youtube_browser]

Voltwings

Established Member
Sooooo i'll throw a wrench in the logic here. What if someone just WANTS a supercharger. I've had turbo cars, and i understand the physics; a turbo car will make more power because its more effecient, plain and simple. I however, think poping the hood and seeing a PD blower and hearing that bitch scream when you floor it is the coolest damn thing on God's green Earth, and no one can convince me otherwise.

I personally am a sucker for aesthetics, JPC's kit performs and they have multiple times and cars proving that, no one can deny it. However, i think the CPR kit just looks nicer. Same with a Centri blower ... i think it looks kinda janky all hanging off the front of the motor like that, so i dont know that i could bring myself to get one. Everyone talks price / hp, but at the end of the day I gotta be happy about what i'm driving. If i wanted to break hearts and break records, i'd have a turbo, no doubt. If i want to have fun, id have a PD blower.

D.T.R

Established Member
That green car is a TURD ... get that $hit out of here...
What kind of torque does that blue beast make?

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My point was if I went turbo I would have to shell out anothet couple grand to get what I wanted. I can use that extra money to put towards other stuff now. Clutch, built motor. Etc.

Yep, that is where the Paxton kits shine, there isn't anything you have to have, but there are things you can add, the tank being the main thing, but you can pick one up from a/m for $125. t bolts for another $100 if you want them,

the 8 rib is a nice upgrade, but on a built motor / e85, you can make over 800 rwhp with a 3.33 pulley on e85 with no slip, the only thing you need is an $85 pulley over the stock kit.

@20psi we made just over 1000rwhp with 9:1 compression with the jt trim and went 9.0's @ 3900lbs with a 2c converter. that was on pump e85.

you can have a solid 9 second dd with the basic kit and a pulley change with the right stuff, fuel, good internals. your going to need that no matter what kit you go with as well

again, turbo's have less loss, no brainer, it's all what you want, and what you want to spend, that s why there are more 9 second Paxton / vortech guys out there it's just more affordable

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I have an F1A on my LS1 and a V3 SIX Rib on my Coyote. I've never had belt issues with either. I also don't have to tap my oil pan.

I've had turbos on other cars. From my Camaro to SRT-4's. They require attention and maintenance. With a blower I switch a pulley if I want to change my boost levels. Takes 15 minutes. MY EXPERIENCE (repeat MY) with turbos is there is always something up that needs to be addressed or adjusted. I have wastegates, boost controllers, vacuum lines, heat, weight that I need to make sure is correct. I've also had issues with over boosting, oiling, and bearings. Then the expense of it all. There's been documented issues of turbos melting and burning stuff up in the engine bay. That's not for me.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone's decision, but I think putting out there that you just bolt a kit up and drive away happy is a little misleading. Many of us are shade tree mechanics. And the simplicity of a supercharger is much more appealing.

D.T.R

Established Member
I have an F1A on my LS1 and a V3 SIX Rib on my Coyote. I've never had belt issues with either. I also don't have to tap my oil pan.

I've had turbos on other cars. From my Camaro to SRT-4's. They require attention and maintenance. With a blower I switch a pulley if I want to change my boost levels. Takes 15 minutes. MY EXPERIENCE (repeat MY) with turbos is there is always something up that needs to be addressed or adjusted. I have wastegates, boost controllers, vacuum lines, heat, weight that I need to make sure is correct. I've also had issues with over boosting, oiling, and bearings. Then the expense of it all. There's been documented issues of turbos melting and burning stuff up in the engine bay. That's not for me.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone's decision, but I think putting out there that you just bolt a kit up and drive away happy is a little misleading. Many of us are shade tree mechanics. And the simplicity of a supercharger is much more appealing.
2 things most likely happened based on your experiences with turbos:
1 - You or whoever installed these turbo kits must not be very familiar with them, and quite possibly did not install some of the parts properly.
2 - Some of the parts chosen for your turbo setups may not have been of a decent quality.
Either 1 or 2, or both combine will make for a horrible turbo experience. That applies to any power adder actually. We have had the turbos on the green car for 3k miles so far. I kid you not, there has been ZERO maintenance related to the turbo setup. I have absolutely no worries or concerns.. the car sits in the garage all week at times and i get in and fire it up and drive off like when it was stock. The car acts and behaves like stock while you off boost of course. If you take the precautions to ceramic coat and or heat wrap stuff, heat is really not a concern, it has never been in any of my turbo cars. You just need to be aware that all the components on the hot side WILL reach 4-digit temperatures even while cruising... so it would be smart to keep things away from it AND heat wrap as much as possible.
Although the heat from a turbo setup is no joke, I'd be more concerned with the head of a head unit on a PD/centri blower setup heating up so much to where the IATs are ridiculously high. That to me, is more of a concern than the heat produced by turbos.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
This is my first turbo car and I learned from others before me--keep the heat under control and you'll be just fine.

Ceramic coating+header wrap+turbo blanket=you can touch the turbine housing or any part of the hotside immediately following a dyno pull or quarter mile blast w/o burning yourself. It's warm, sure, but it's not going to hurt anything at those temps.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That green car is a TURD ... get that $hit out of here...
What kind of torque does that blue beast make?

In no way is this a shot at you. Because everytime i see your car on fb i drool over it.

But that blue car has already been what? Low 9's at 150+? Lets see what yours does now to compare.

poof100

Established Member
If you don't have anything constructive to post, don't post. Pretty simple.

Actually I was sticking up for Hellion and their original post while trying to add humor. I guess that was missed. This will probably be deleted too :rollseyes

To the Hellion guys, nice comparison and really shows the difference in the potential of the Turbos vs Paxtons. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread