How did you accquire your R ?

UKCobra

Established Member
When I moved to the US, I had always intended to buy a nice Mustang, and ship it back to the UK when I had to go back. Originally I had planned to by a 2000R but they were at the time a little out of my reach pricewise.

In March 2002, I was looking through www.collectorcartraderonline.com and found what I was looking for, a real low mileage 95R. It had 3,000 miles on it, and was located in Chicago at a Ford Dealer that had all 3 R's there, including the last 93R #107 on jackstands.

I drove it back the 2,300 miles in 3 days, what a blast. By far the best Mustang i have driven. Mind you I drove a 2000R a few months later and that was great too.

It was a good job I bought the R when I did, as 2 months after buying it I was told I was coming back to the UK. The rules allowed me to bring it back Tax free.

So 95R #61 is in the UK, registered, and will appear in a forthcoming issue of Mustang Enthusiast, which is a newish US based magazine, as they want to do an article on british Late model owners and their cars.

Owning the R is a real privelage, and addictive, as I'd really like a 2000R to go with it.

If any one is interested, here is the flash slideshow.

http://www.ukcobra.co.uk/Roadtrip.swf

Mark

97whitevert

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
got a lead at a salt lake dealer. flew up. signed the papers. drove 1800 miles in july back to houston with a stop in colorado to buy a house. went during the hotest part of the year. air conditioning worked great as well as the stereo radio.
a/c and stereo- you doo have a rare car...:beer:

griffined

SVT driver
I had owned my 01 Cobra for a while, and decided to trade it in on an 03 Vert. I thought the deal was done but when the 03 arrived the dealer jerked me around on trade in value. I hit Autotrader.com and ebay looking at other 01's in the hopes of pricing mine to sell, and then being able to buy the 03.

I saw 2000 R #154 up on a no reserve auction, and the rest was history. When I won the auction, I flew to Dallas and drove the car back to CA, stopping in Vegas to go to the SEMA show with some passes that SVTOA provided.

Recently I shipped the 00R to the house I bought in FL, and drove the 01 cross country when I moved. Both have about 10k miles on them.

Ed

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Re: 2000 r

Originally posted by scottmartin
in august of 99 i gave my dealer a $100 deposit to hold the car for me if they got one in the lottery. well, almost 10 months later, it was mine. btw, the dealer honered the msrp on the car.

Scott:

Congrats!! :beer: I think you are the first sticker price buyer I have heard of for a 2000 Cobra R!

My story goes like this:

My brother-in-law has a son-in-law who is a GM at a Ford Dealer. Knowing I'm into Mustangs (because of my '66 coupe) he asked me if I'd be interested in some sort of fancy and rare high horsepower Mustang? I said "maybe?".

The short version is I went and looked at this thing in October of 2002 (the guy had 5 of them and 4 were in a hermetically sealed time capsule!) and it was love at first sight!! :D This one was brand new, stickers, plastic and all with 17 miles on the odometer. I had no clue what a Cobra "R" was at the time. But I knew I just HAD to have this car. Bought it and started prepping it for the track and have been a "go fast addict" ever since!!

My life changed when I bought this car!!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
yes, i was amazed that a 100 deposit held the car and they honered the msrp. during the wait, i found a second car in tulsa at the the auto store and put a deposit on it. the local car was delivered and they did indeed sell it for msrp. well, the tulsa car came in, and i talked my dad into buying it, hoping we could cash in on the craze and make several thousand bucks. needless to say, it is still sitting in our warehouse with 600 miles on it. just dont want to sell at a loss. fyi, with mine, i did discover auto crossing and tracking the car. last year i went to hallett and topeka. i have met some great guys and have learned alot. according to joe jones, who btw, has been very generous with his driving help, i have some talent. well, that remains to be discovered. the car is so much more capable that i am of a driver. i cant wait for this spring.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
UKCobra said:
When I moved to the US, I had always intended to buy a nice Mustang, and ship it back to the UK when I had to go back. Originally I had planned to by a 2000R but they were at the time a little out of my reach pricewise.

In March 2002, I was looking through www.collectorcartraderonline.com and found what I was looking for, a real low mileage 95R. It had 3,000 miles on it, and was located in Chicago at a Ford Dealer that had all 3 R's there, including the last 93R #107 on jackstands.

I drove it back the 2,300 miles in 3 days, what a blast. By far the best Mustang i have driven. Mind you I drove a 2000R a few months later and that was great too.

It was a good job I bought the R when I did, as 2 months after buying it I was told I was coming back to the UK. The rules allowed me to bring it back Tax free.

So 95R #61 is in the UK, registered, and will appear in a forthcoming issue of Mustang Enthusiast, which is a newish US based magazine, as they want to do an article on british Late model owners and their cars.

Owning the R is a real privelage, and addictive, as I'd really like a 2000R to go with it.

If any one is interested, here is the flash slideshow.

http://www.ukcobra.co.uk/Roadtrip.swf

Mark
Cool pics!!

The first ones of Iowa were like 15 miles from here :)

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I got outbid on Ebay,, the high bidder didn't get his deposit to the seller in a timely manner. So the seller offered it to me. I had bought another car the day following the auction, beings I had lost the auction, and now didn't have all the money I had bid. I made the seller what I thought was too low of an offer, but he took it !!!! I had told the seller I would bring him a cashiers check and pick up the car on his next day off.. Sent off the money order and made arrangements to pick the car up the next weekend... $11,500 for a 1993 Cobra R,, my wife wasn't too sure about the deal at the time, but I think most here will agree I did okay!!!!

comprepsvo

Established Member
Like the rest of you guys, I am and have been a car nut. I had been driving my 93 Cobra as the daily driver, and had the 86 Comp. Prep SVO for shows, the trailer queen. I was at Carlisle when John Colleti started up and pulled the first 00R that I had seen in person. The look of the car and the beautiful sounds that it made, hooked me , that one day I had to have one. Like many of you, I could not afford one then. However, in 2003, after 29 years of Federal Service, I got a gift, the involuntarily riff packaged for old Uncle Sam. At the same time, I got some great engineering consulting work. Whola!

However, I wasn't burning for the "R". I was building my dream pole barn, to house the SVO's, the 93 Cobra which was getting an total rebuild, and the 95 Lightning.

One night as I am searching on the web, I see an ad for a R in Macon, Georgia, which is about 120 miles from my house. It has 2890 miles on it, and the exotic dealership is only asking $38k. I thought , there has to be something wrong with it. I knew what the prices were orginally, and on ebay.

Anway, the next morning, I call the dealer ship and ask it is an original, any problems with it, wrecks, salvage etc. The salesman, says no, and turns me over to the dealership owner. I tell him, here is my Visa number, I will put a $1000 down and be down in 3 days to drive it ,and if it is what you say it is, I will bring a certified check for the remainder.

The next day he calls me and says he has a buyer out in Montana who is ready to wire him the entire amount. I said Whoa here, you have my deposit, what in the hell do you think you are doing? He says, well I have been burned before with people who say they are going to buy a car and then back out. I said, ok, I will be down the next day. You have the car on the rack when I get there.

To make the story short, I drive to Macon, inspect the car from top to bottom, drive the car, buy the car and drive it home. The dealeship payed $36k for the car and had to put on new KD's because the originals had dry rotted. The car still had the plastic on the floor, no scratches etc. Supposedly, some guy up in Michigan, Minnesota, bought the car for $64 when they came out. However, he got into financial trouble and complained about some paint bubbles on the hood. Ford bought it back from him, and this exotic car dealer bought it.

I have done track days with the 93 Cobra, and once with the Comp. Prep and had a blast. In April, of 2002 Joe Johnson took me for a ride in his R at Road Atlanta, in the rain and did 120 mph. All I could say then to Joe was WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! The car didn't slide, squirm at all in the rain, and the sound of that engine and exhaust as Joe accelerated and down shifted. It was a symphony that I couldn't get enough of.

This car is the most awesome car that I have ever driven or ridden in. I have had big block Chevelles, small block Corvettes, and nothing can compare to this R. Like many of you, it is in my blood and soul,and I will never part with it. The 93 is an awesome car, but the "R" is my sweetheart and mistress!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Ben, I too was at carlisle for the unveiling and mr colletti's speech....that was all it took! A year later, I got the deal on mine, and havent looked back since....I often get bored with cars, no chance here though!! :rockon: :pepper: :banana:

funny, I have those hood bubbles too....originally I was gonna get it fixed, even got tom scarpello to agree to have ford foot the bill, then never followed thru....

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
NJ2000R said:
funny, I have those hood bubbles too....originally I was gonna get it fixed, even got tom scarpello to agree to have ford foot the bill, then never followed thru....

Ken, I just got my hood bubbles taken care of a few weeks ago. A local famed Corvette restorer here in town took care of it. Stripped it down, filled the bubbles, sanded, re gel coated it, sanded, primed, painted, cleared, buffed, and $900 later it's smooth as glass. Everyone said I should go to him cause all he does is fiberglass, and they were right..

Cobra-R

Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Ken, I just got my hood bubbles taken care of a few weeks ago. A local famed Corvette restorer here in town took care of it. Stripped it down, filled the bubbles, sanded, re gel coated it, sanded, primed, painted, cleared, buffed, and $900 later it's smooth as glass. Everyone said I should go to him cause all he does is fiberglass, and they were right..

Dave,
Did he tell you what he thought the cause of the problem was?

Brian

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Dave,
Did he tell you what he thought the cause of the problem was?

Brian

Brian, in his opinion, the hoods were painted too soon after being made, the fiberglass had not cured yet, and the bubbles were like a resin, bleeding up towards the surface in pockets.

He used a 3M filler for as he called it " problem fiberglass " that he has had good success with on some older restorations, mine was the first late model car he used it on.

95R#177

Established Member
When the 95R was being released I was serving in the USAF, had a family, and couldn't afford it. When word came that they were only going to those with racing licenses, that made it a little easier to take, but I loved the car.

When I retired from the USAF in '98, and got a good-paying job in the private sector, I was able to buy one in '02. I still love the car.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Those were some real cool stories. I always wondered how some of you got a hold of your R's. Didnt think all of you paid top dollar new but seems like some of you had to work for them, well except Mr Luckey R. Still winning it is just as cool!

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
Here's my story:

Learned to drive in a 77 Mustang II 302 4sp, totaled it. Got a 70 Fastback 302 4sp, worked on it like a dog. Rust, blown engine, previous owner even had the sycros backwards in the trans. :shrug: Try dealing with 3rd & 4th where 1st & 2nd should be and 1st & 2nd where 3rd & 4th should live. :cryying: Fixed it, drove it, sold it. Ordered a new 87 GT w\big gears & no AC, flogged it for 100,000 miles, sold it and got married. :eek:

Fast forward 10 years later, fall of 04. Still married, two kids, my company is rocking :rockon: I'm lusting after late model, black Saleens. What do I find on Ebay? A new 04 Saleen Cobra of all things. That poor car sat on a dealer's lot for 10 months. Needless to say, after the auction, they were in a dealing kinda mood. ($500 under my "A" plan deal) Me and a bud drive to Philly and bring it back to Maine. The ricers were itching to run me on the way back north. I guess I'm a wimp, couldn't bring myself to flog it with only 200 miles on the clock. We get her home and thank the good Lord my wife LOVES it. If not, the story would end here, in more ways than one :poke:

Finally, to the point. In Dec. I'm checking Ebay again "honey I promise I won't buy anything" ;-) I find a new, 58 miles, never titled, 2000 R at a Ford dealer in Louisville. I yelled "honey check this out" What she said next almost made me crap my pants. And for that, I'll love her till the day I die. She said "OOHHH, I like that color, I allways wanted a red car" Once again the auction is a bust, and the dealer needs to move it to make room for his new GT. It must suck to be him :coolman: Anyway, we do the deal for well south of the MSRP for "my wife's new red car". My bud that helped with the Saleen pick-up, is begging to "Help" with this one. Due to our current climatic conditions in the Northeast :xpl: I'm having it hauled up. It will be the last time it sees a trailer. Should be delivered this week. I hope to introduce it to the track at Limerock CT spring\summer 05.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;-)
Thanks

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Great story Mike! :-D

You are SOOOOO going to love that "R"!! :pepper: :pepper: That is, if you will be able to get the keys from your wife?!? ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :p

Users who are viewing this thread