How did you accquire your R ?

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Great story Mike! :-D

You are SOOOOO going to love that "R"!! :pepper: :pepper: That is, if you will be able to get the keys from your wife?!? ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :p

Yeah, you know, Maybe I shoud have thought it thru a bit more :dw:
Nah, she's a good girl maybe she'll let me detail it for her :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mike H said:
Yeah, you know, Maybe I shoud have thought it thru a bit more :dw:
Nah, she's a good girl maybe she'll let me detail it for her :D

Hopefully she's going to be saying "Mike, I need you to put some track pads in the "R" for my track event next weekend?!?!" :rockon: :rockon:

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Hopefully she's going to be saying "Mike, I need you to put some track pads in the "R" for my track event next weekend?!?!" :rockon: :rockon:

A guy can dream,, right :shrug:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
00r

mike,great story and great wife. i can tell you that if you track the car once, you will get hooked. next, you will want a trailer, then a tow vehicle, then and then and then, it will niver end. welcome to the board. scott

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
scottmartin said:
mike,great story and great wife. i can tell you that if you track the car once, you will get hooked. next, you will want a trailer, then a tow vehicle, then and then and then, it will niver end. welcome to the board. scott

Dohhh! More things I did not think about. :dw:

Last edited:

venom279

Established Member
I'd like to buy another one and tell how I got it.. :cuss: ...oh well, one of these days... :rockon:

sfs32vcobra

S197 Boss 302S Clone
Established Member
'00r #124

OK, I'll chime in...

Back in the fall of 2003, my good friend Boris and I participated in Badger Bimmers Oktoberfast HPDE at Road America. I was driving my '96 track prepped Cobra at the time.

In the paddock, we see these two guys with their trucks, trailers, and two badass looking '00R's. Turns out it was Flying Fred and Bruce. Boris pulls me aside and says, "if you want to have some fun, be sure and go for a ride in one of those R's". Fred provided a couple rides during the weekend, and afterwards all I could think about is "I have got to find a way to get one of these cars!!!!! I have never in my life ridden in anything that goes, stops, corners, and sounds like this monster!!!"

Fast forward to early December 2003... I am looking through the Autoweek classified, and what do I see --- '00R #124 for sale in Palm Springs, CA. The car had 92 miles on it, and the owner had decided to sell it to free up some funds to purchase a '55 Chevy that he had fallen in love with. We trade e-mails for a couple of weeks, and I arrange to see the car in person the weekend after New Year's 2004. We agreed to do the deal, and I assured the previous owner the car's life of luxury was over, and that I was going to have a lot of fun with it.

Several performance mod's later, the car has been an absolute delight to own and participate in HPDE's with. It is also a serious money pit, but like other guys have said, owning this car and enjoying the experiences it has provided has been a life changing experience.

sdfrog177

Established Member
Dec 2002 I found A 2000 R #91 for sale in Arizona. It was on ebay and I told myself I would never by a car sight unseen. The R didnt sell so I shot the seller a lowball offer (at the time) figuring he would never take it. To my surprise he was willing to sell the R for what I offered with 12 miles on the clock. It was never titled or dealer prepped as well. I flew out that night and and went to his house with cashier check in hand. After inspecting the car the only thing missing was the "black R binder" everything else checked out. The guy thought I was going to trailer it back, the look his face when I drove off in it was priceless. The car now has 13k on it and has been pretty solid except for some battery charging/cooling and IRS issues.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i was looking for part for my boss 302 on the nor-cal saac website and found dean's ad for the #05 car. i had never thought about owning any late model mustang. i didn't even know what a cobra r was. i had never heard of steeda.

i had a baja race bronco that i had restored that i was selling and was going to use that revenue to buy a driver car. something fun. a '99 Porsche 996 maybe. same argument i am having with myself right now.

my editor told me we could do some track tech stuff if i bought the car. that was the first nudge. the last nudge was finding out that an actual points winning formula one driver had raced the car.

That was all last October. This year has been off the hook, I've had so much fun with that car.

roosteryoung

Established Member
In 93 I was in college and worked at my hometown Ford Dealership. I had heard the Ford Dealer 30 miles away had a R in the showroom on display. Fast forward 9 years, I went to work for the dealership 30 miles from my home (University Ford) as a Sales Manager. One day the General Manager and I were talking about Cobra Rs and the conversation turned to the location of car #26. The salesperson who sold the car still worked at the dealership. He went through his old records and found me the name of the original owner. I thought this was a waste because so much time had passed, however after a phone call I found the car. I spent the next 5 years staying in contact with the owner. One day he called and said he was ready to part with the car. So after 14 years I got the car I wanted. Sometimes things just work out.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
You should hear about the line up of planets that had to happen for me to get the '69 Boss 302 pictured above. Whew. Crazy story.
found.jpg

Bajabackyard023.jpg

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
I purchased my first R from a add on Trader online, I flew to Reno on a friday and picked up the car from a man who Knew I had ripped him off with a fake check, We went to bank and of course I get a teller who tells man, Even if you cash the check and it is fake we will take the money back from you. What a great felling. I told the man what if I gave you a bunch of fake money? Drove home 400 miles, great tune during drive. That was the easy one, I worked for a while on my wife so I could get a 93r, She was not into the idea and we really were having a difficult time in our marriage. One day she asked what I wanted for xmas and I replied a 93r, She told me there was no way in hell she would help me buy a 93r. Well to shorten this I didn't feel as if I needed her help, so I bought it, had shipped, PLEASE BRING DURING DAY, no how about right after your wife comes home. I thought the marriage was over. 3 months later she went out and looked at it. We are still together, and I want a 95r.

Users who are viewing this thread